Nolan: Id Rather Have 10 Guys With 4 Sacks, Then To Have 4 Guys With 10 Sacks..

crankdatfalcon

Man, i like what im hearing from this guy.. Then he said something like, "you dont defend a cam newton, the way you would defend a tom brady or a drew brees"....But with BVG, the scheme NEVER changed regardless of the QB we were facing. I think we are in store for some big things on the defensive side of the ball.

On a side note, i wonder how much credit he gets for the 49ers being at the stage they are now??After all, he was the coach for what 3 or 4 years i believe and even though they have a new coach now, you have to give credit to nolan and singletary for building that team defensively... He also says he still keeps in touch with the players from san fran, and is pulling for them to go all the way. I wonder if they have any free agents, will mike try to persuade them to come to the falcons....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that mentality. Everyone is a threat in the backfield instead of just a few players who can be defended more easily through double teams since they don't need to concentrate on other defenders. When everyone is a threat that means the best players will naturally rise to the occasion against better matchups and do better. That was what was missing with BVG here. He relied on a handful of players to put up numbers and when they didn't the defense struggled. With Nolan, I expect him to get the most out of every player.

10 guys with 4 sacks?

That means the pressure is coming from everywhere: linebacker level, safeties, corners, beer vendors...

You wanted pressure? Here it comes.

and on a sidenote: if Dunta is ever going to look anything like a $60 million gamechanger, it's going to be now or never.

This^^

And if we got 10 sacks from just 4 guys, we'd have to have a line full of hall of famers. That's what he is saying. It is a lot harder to get 40 sacks using just 4 guys. It is a whole lot easier to get 40 sacks using 10 guys. If they are coming from every where, you can't anticipate who is going to get the sacks. We already did the predictable, vanilla thing.

10 guys with 4 sacks?

That means the pressure is coming from everywhere: linebacker level, safeties, corners, beer vendors...

You wanted pressure? Here it comes.

and on a sidenote: if Dunta is ever going to look anything like a $60 million gamechanger, it's going to be now or never.

I think if we play more of a man defense I think you see Dunta pay more of a return.,

what i love about it is and he said it himself when you have that many guys getting sacks its hard to say we have to stop this guy or that guy. last year it was we have to stop Abraham because he was the only one who could get pressure. Now imagine if you have other guys bringing pressure. Thing that made us so predictable when blitzing is Abraham was the only one who could get pressure. So of course when other guys crowd the line you know their coming

I don't actually like hearing that. I'd rather have 4 guys with 10 sacks. That means they will draw double teams and get the attention away from other guys, thus creating those other opportunities.

If 10 guys are getting sacks you don't know who to double team. What he is saying is you have to create a scheme where the pressure is coming from anywhere. This will confuse offenses. For a guy to get 10 sacks, he has to be special. For a guy to get 4 sacks, he just has to be put in the right place at the right time. If you happen to have one or two "special" guys who get "extra" sacks due to individual effort, then that's just icing on the cake.

Edited by I Even Bleed Red

thought it was an interesting, last time Falcons have had a top 10 defense??.... you guessed it, 1998 Super Bowl season, that was probably our most sound defense, no amazing athletes on that D, Chuck was good, Tuggle was good, Ray was good, but no freak athletic player.. someone you fear,