How Does Our 3-4 Lineup Look?

I'm actually excited about this hybrid defense Nolan is bringing. I'm trying to think what our lineup would be:

DE- Babs

NT- Going to have to sign one, maybe Grady Jackson (lol I kid.

DE- Corey Peters

Rush LB- Kroy Biermann

MLB- Curtis Lofton

MLB- Stephen Nicholas

Drop LB- Sean Weatherspoon

CB- Dominque Frank

CB- Dunta Robinson

FS- Sign or draft someone new?

SS- Corey Moore

We want Pat Sims from the Bengals as our NT imho, just coming off an injury and he'll likely be inexpensive, but the guy's a beast, 6'2 330 and great in the run game.

And for the record, his name is William Moore.

In the end, our hybrid D if we use the 3-4 should look like this:

DE- Babs

NT- Pat Sims

DE- Ray Edwards

Rush LB- Lawrence Sidbury

MLB- Curtis Lofton

MLB- Akeem Dent

CB- Courtland Finnegan

CB- Dunta Robinson

FS- Michael Griffin

SS- William Moore

Wouldn't be too shabby at all. Hate to lose Abe, I'd like to keep him but if we go all the way to 3-4 I see him seeking other opportunities.

We want Pat Sims from the Bengals as our NT imho, just coming off an injury and he'll likely be inexpensive, but the guy's a beast, 6'2 330 and great in the run game.

DE- Babs

NT- Pat Sims

DE- Ray Edwards

MLB- Curtis Lofton

MLB- Akeem Dent

CB- Courtland Finnegan

CB- Dunta Robinson

FS- Michael Griffin

SS- William Moore

Wouldn't be too shabby at all. Hate to lose Abe, I'd like to keep him but if we go all the way to 3-4 I see him seeking other opportunities.

Honestly, I'd like to see Spoon get more opportunity to blitz, I believe he was 2nd, or 3rd on the team with 4 sacks, in limited opportunities.

Honestly, I'd like to see Spoon get more opportunity to blitz, I believe he was 2nd, or 3rd on the team with 4 sacks, in limited opportunities.

I agree, but the same can be said of Sid, and Spoon was also our best LB in coverage. He'll get more opportunities to blitz in a 3-4, especially under Nolan, so I see this being where he'd be best.

I hope Kendall Langford and Paul Solial follow Nolan to Atlanta via free agency.

DE-Peters, Walker

NT-Solial, Walker

DE-Langford, Jerry

OLB-Biermann(re-sign drop weight to 255), Matthews, _________

ILB-Nicholas(coverage skills inside make Lofton expendable), Adkins

ILB-Weatherspoon(coverage), Dent

OLB-Edwards(good run D on edge drop to 266 pds), Sidbury

RCB-Robinson, Walls

FS-DeCoud(re-sign), Shillinger

SS-Moore, Sanders(re-sign)

LCB-Grimes(re-sign), Owens, Franks(PR)

I hope we go 3-4 all the way and just dont want to tip our hand in free agency and the draft.

2-TE-Coby Fleener

3-OT-Matt Reynolds

4-DE-Derek Wolfe

5-RB-Alfred Morris

6-DE-Tony Jerrod-Eddie

7-WR-Marvin Jones

I hope Kendall Langford and Paul Solial follow Nolan to Atlanta via free agency.

DE-Peters, Walker

NT-Solial, Walker

DE-Langford, Jerry

RCB-Robinson, Walls

I hope we go 3-4 all the way and just dont want to tip our hand in free agency and the draft.

2-TE-Coby Fleener

3-OT-Matt Reynolds

4-DE-Derek Wolfe

5-RB-Alfred Morris

6-DE-Tony Jerrod-Eddie

7-WR-Marvin Jones

Resign Decoud? Really. I would much rather save that money and invest in the online, We could find a cheaper FS. That would miss just as many tackles and take just as many bad angles

DE- Babs

NT- Pat Sims

DE- Ray Edwards

MLB- Curtis Lofton

MLB- Akeem Dent

CB- Courtland Finnegan

CB- Dunta Robinson

FS- Michael Griffin

SS- William Moore

The dirtier the better (- the flags) Surprisingly i feel that Sidbury would actually work out as the rush LB and Finnegin would bring a lot more toughness to the secondary as well as the Longhorn(Griffin).

Let go of: Abraham, DeCoud, Jerry, Hayden

Get: Solial

Draft: Derek Wolfe, Trenton Robinson, Nicolas Jean-Baptiste

RDE: Babineaux, Edwards, Walker

NT: Solial, Jean-Baptiste

LDE: Peters, Wolfe

ROLB: Sidbury, Biermann

RILB: Lofton, Dent

LILB: Nicholas, Adkins

LOLB: Weatherspoon, Matthews

CB1: Grimes, Franks

FS: Robinson, Schillinger

SS: Moore, Sanders

CB2: Robinson, Owens, Walls

There are some open roster spots still, but I think Nolan will enjoy that defense next season.

I see us likely sticking with the 4-3. We might mix some 3-4 in there, but I doubt that's our base package. Nolan has run both schemes and if he's as good of a coach as I think he is, he'll play to our strengths.

If we do force the 3-4, I think we'd sign a 3-4 NT and use the talent we already have for the other positions.

Peters - FA - Babs

Spoon - Edwards - Lofton - Abe

I'm actually excited about this hybrid defense Nolan is bringing. I'm trying to think what our lineup would be:

DE- Babs

DE- Corey Peters

Rush LB- Kroy Biermann

MLB- Curtis Lofton

MLB- Stephen Nicholas

CB- Dominque Frank

CB- Dunta Robinson

SS- Corey Moore

Babineaux really doesnt have a place in the 3-4, he's too short to play DE at 6-2 and too undersized for NT. He can play DT when we go to a 4 man line in the nickel.

At NT there are a number of potential answers who could be available like Aubrayo Franklin and Pat Sims

Biermann is a UFA and didnt show enough this year to warrant much money from us.

Nicholas would likely be the #3 ILB and the #3 or 4 OLB. He doesn't have the size to start at ILB or OLB in the 3-4. He could contribute in coverage and as a pass rusher.

Curtis Lofton would be the Strongside or LILB

Sean Weatherspoon would be the Weakside or RILB, he would not play OLB. He's a linebacker, not an edge rusher, he can be productive as a blitzer but is not someone who lines up against OTs

At FS Michael Griffin would be a great fit, Dashon Goldson may be an option, if we signed Laron Landry we could move Moore to FS, we gotta upgrade over Decoud

DE- Babs

DE- Corey Peters

Rush LB- Kroy Biermann

MLB- Curtis Lofton

MLB- Stephen Nicholas

CB- Dominque Frank

CB- Dunta Robinson

SS- Corey Moore

I aint really mad at that.

79.4% of the boys on this board think we aint got no chance at a 3-4. They are freakin clueless. Trust me.

I have seen Falcon defenses and plenty other NFL defenses morph into a 3-4 one freakin year.

Glanville did it in 1980. Henning did it in 1986. Glanville did it again in 1990. Reeves did it in 2002.

Can Smitty do it in 2012? I'm jus askin.

3-4 is the 21st century defense.

All the elite QBs struggle against it.

Rise Mofos.

DE- Babs

NT- Pat Sims

DE- Ray Edwards

MLB- Curtis Lofton

MLB- Akeem Dent

CB- Courtland Finnegan

CB- Dunta Robinson

FS- Michael Griffin

SS- William Moore

Pat Sims would be a good fit at NT, there are some other potential FA options as well

As I mentioned at 6-2 Babs is too short for 3-4 DE

As above Spoon would line up at WILB, not OLB in the 3-4, hes not an edge rusher

Dent would join Nicholas Adkins and Peterson as the potential depth at ILB

Regarding Courtland Finnegan Id far other upgrade the DL or pass rush then spend on a corner, we might as well keep Grimes or go after Terrel Thomas who has better ball skills

Griffin would be a great fit at FS

DE-Peters, Walker

NT-Solial, Walker

DE-Langford, Jerry

RCB-Robinson, Walls

2-TE-Coby Fleener

3-OT-Matt Reynolds

4-DE-Derek Wolfe

5-RB-Alfred Morris

6-DE-Tony Jerrod-Eddie

7-WR-Marvin Jones

Solial would give us a space eater at NT

If we're going to spend money at DE when we already have Edwards and Peters Id like us to go after a difference maker like Mario Williams or Calais Campbell, or to a lesser extent Jason Jones

As mentioned above Nicholas doesnt have the size or power to hold up as a starting LB anywhere in the 3-4, he'd be our 3rd ILB and 3rd or 4th OLB and contribute in coverage and rushing the passer

I see Edwards as a far better fit at DE than OLB. At 6-5 he's got good height for the position ( better than anyone on our roster) and only needs to add about 10lbs to hold up there vs the run just fine as well as be an effective interior pass rusher. When we go to a 4 man line in the nickel he can play DT or DE. If we move him to OLB he needs to lose weight and he's never been a fast player to begin with, he's far more powerful, thats why he fits better at DE.

I wouldnt resign Decoud, Id look to upgrade with Griffin, Landry or Goldson

DE- Babs

NT- Pat Sims

DE- Ray Edwards

MLB- Curtis Lofton

MLB- Akeem Dent

CB- Courtland Finnegan

CB- Dunta Robinson

FS- Michael Griffin

SS- William Moore

lol... let's just sign a couple pro-bowlers for our defense! it's easy

Ok regarding the height and size to play the 3-4. Yes, having the height would help in the 3-4. Playing on the DLine on any front is base on leverage. Get good leverage and you came work your man anyway you want.

My example is from a college team. However, it will be a good example.

UGA converted to a 3-4 defense. At DE, UGA has DeAngelo Tyson who is 6'2 305 respectively and Abry Jones 6'3 305. Backup is Garrison Smith who is 6'3 294. All three players mention handle themselves very well.

We will not be running the 3-4, on a regular basis...We simply don't have the personal to pull it off. You can color the picture anyway you want, but the roster is still built for a 4-3. I'm pumped about the change in both coordinators, but we are not going to throw away all the schemes in place. Add to them, improve upon them...Yes

Here's how our current personnel fits the 3-4

NT-No one

DE-Edwards, Peters (Babs you can try to make fit but at 6-2 is too short to be effective, Peters is pushing it at 6-3)

OLB-Abe (FA), Sidbury, Biermann (FA), Nicholas. As it stands there is no one on the roster we can count on as an answer here. Abe has played in the 4-3 his whole career, he left NY to avoid the 3-4. If we switch to a 3-4 he may leave. At OLB in the 3-4 we wouldnt waste time putting him in coverage hed be doing the same thing hed do in a 4-3. Sidbury would be pencilled in as one of the OLBs but he hasnt proven anything yet, Biermann is a FA and didnt show enough in a contract year to justify handing him a deal over more proven players. Nicholas doesnt have the weight to start at any spot in the 3-4. He could contribute in coverage and as a pass rusher on pass downs. So if Abe and Biermann leave Sidbury would be 1 potential starter and Nicholas a backup OLB and backup MLB.

ILB-The only spot where we have some answers, Lofton would line up at strongside or LILB and Weatherspoon would line up at Weaksside or RILB, both would be great fits. Lofton would get to play downhill as a blitzer and take on guards and fullbacks so that Weatherspoon could run clean to the ball. Nicholas, Peterson, Adkins and Dent compete for the depth here.

So if I were to implement the 3-4

1. Resign Lofton, great young player fits 3-4, cant replace him in any scheme

2. Sign an NT

-Aubrayo Franklin 31 6'1 317 : Veteran NT could give us exactly what we need for relatively cheap. Played in NO on a 1 year deal after being tagged by the 49ers. A thick, stout body to keep Spoon and Lofton clean

-Paul Soliai 28 6'4 355: Nolans NT in MIA, a massive powerful body to eat double teams and set up passing situations. Would be a great addition of size

-Pat Sims 26 6'2 330: A young NT with good power. Another anchor vs the run

These guys would be the best fits, there are a couple other potential players like Brodrick Bunkley, Red Bryant, Antontio Garay, Sione Pouha

3.Sign a OLB

-Mario Williams 26 6'6 283: He moved to OLB last season and was productive before getting hurt but personally I would line him up at DE on run downs in the 3-4 and in the nickel go to a 4 man line and let him play DE like he naturally does there. If available would be a monster signing

-Cliff Avril 25 6'3 260: A very productive young player coming off a monster year, brings heat off the edge. Has been a 4-3 DE but would be fine at 3-4 OLB, just point em at the QB and let em go

-Robert Mathis 30 6'2 245: A career 4-3 DE but could potentially make the switch. Very productive consistent pass rusher, makes a lot of plays

-Manny Lawson 27 6'5 240: Hasnt been a great pass rusher but has some ability has great athletecism and range in coverage. Could help with the pass rush but also has the athletecism to be a factor in coverage like Spoon

4. Sign a safety

-Michael Griffin 27 6'0 203: A safety with corner like speed and ball skills, can also tackle and has been durable would be a great fit and upgrade

-Laron Landry 27 6'0 220: A big hitter with size and speed. This guys an intimidator in coverage and come up in the box

So the depth chart could look like this

RE Edwards

NT Paul Soliai, Walker

LE Peters, Babineaux

ROLB Cliff Avril,

RILB Weatherspoon, Adkins, Dent

LILB Lofton, Peterson

LOLB Sidbury, Nicholas

RCB Franks, Owens

LCB Robinson

FS Michael Griffin, Shillinger

SS Moore

In the nickel wed have a 4 man line and 2 LBs with a combination of

DE Avril, Sidbury, Edwards, Nicholas

DT Babineaux, Edwards, Peters, Jerry, Solai

LB Weatherspoon, Lofton, Nicholas

We could then turn to the draft and look for CBs and an OLB, we could also consider resigning Biermann for OLB

Edited by DirtyBirdDynasty