Nolan's Hiring Means A Likely Switch To The 3-4

Here's what the depth chart could look like heading into the draft with a nice FA period

RE Edwards

NT Aubrayo Franklin, Walker

LE Peters, Babineaux

ROLB Cliff Avril, Sidbury

RILB Weatherspoon, Adkins/Dent

LILB Lofton, Peterson

LOLB Manny Lawson, Nicholas,

RCB Franks, Owens

LCB Robinson

FS Michael Griffin

SS Moore

Signings

Aubrayo Franklin-Signed a 1 year deal with the Saints after playing on the franchise tag with the 49ers. Would probably like to sign a multi year deal, gives us exactly what we need at NT and at his age wont be as expensive as some of the younger players

Cliff Avril-May be tagged but is looking for a big deal, Lions have Johnsons contract to deal with soon and Tulloch is a FA. Is a 4-3 end but at OLB would just be playing downhill, give us an impact young edge rusher

Manny Lawson-Another player looking for a home signed a 1 year deal with the Bengals after playing with the 49ers, could be our 2nd OLB, young player great athlete could help with pass rush and in coverage.

Michael Griffin-Would be a great upgrade over Decoud and give us a guy with speed ball skills and tackling ability

In the nickel we could have all kinds of possibilities

DE Avril, Lawson, Edwards, Sidbury, Nicholas

DT Babineaux, Edwards, Peters, Franklin, Jerry, Walker

LB Weatherspoon, Lofton, Nicholas, Lawson

Here's what the depth chart could look like heading into the draft with a nice FA period

RE Edwards

NT Aubrayo Franklin, Walker

LE Peters, Babineaux

ROLB Cliff Avril, Sidbury

RILB Weatherspoon, Adkins/Dent

LILB Lofton, Peterson

LOLB Manny Lawson, Nicholas,

RCB Franks, Owens

LCB Robinson

FS Michael Griffin

SS Moore

Signings

Aubrayo Franklin-Signed a 1 year deal with the Saints after playing on the franchise tag with the 49ers. Would probably like to sign a multi year deal, gives us exactly what we need at NT and at his age wont be as expensive as some of the younger players

Cliff Avril-May be tagged but is looking for a big deal, Lions have Johnsons contract to deal with soon and Tulloch is a FA. Is a 4-3 end but at OLB would just be playing downhill, give us an impact young edge rusher

Manny Lawson-Another player looking for a home signed a 1 year deal with the Bengals after playing with the 49ers, could be our 2nd OLB, young player great athlete could help with pass rush and in coverage.

Michael Griffin-Would be a great upgrade over Decoud and give us a guy with speed ball skills and tackling ability

In the nickel we could have all kinds of possibilities

DE Avril, Lawson, Edwards, Sidbury, Nicholas

DT Babineaux, Edwards, Peters, Franklin, Jerry, Walker

LB Weatherspoon, Lofton, Nicholas, Lawson

Only problem. And I've seen this with other depth chart ideas...... At least for the 3-4. In your scenario You just paid Nicholas last year starter money. And now he's a back up......

Guest TheIdowu

Why bring a coach in and take him outside of his natural coaching element. the 3-4 is what he is best at so let the man do his job!!!

How do you know he's best at the 3-4? How do you know he wants to emply that here? I am pretty sure they discussed this. . . .that is the point of the interview process.

Hope he brings the 3-4 back to the A.

Got plenty tools to pull it off.

3-4 is better than a 4-3 in this pass happy league.

Good QBs struggle with the 3-4.

Bab and RayEd can play a 3-4 DE.

Our LBs can play any set.

Find a NT.

Yall boy's are sleepin on the 3-4. Trust me.

I have to ask an old timer didn't the Falcons switch to the 3-4 in 1980. I know the NFL has changed alot since then. But I remember being a little pissed but they drafted Don Smith at NT and drafted Curry and Richardson and had Joel Williams at LB along with Kuykendall and Pennywell. Merrow and Yates were at DE and Faumina (rip) got some playing time.Point being is around this time the NFL changed the rules illegal contact after 5 yards and the defense masked some of the deficencies in the Falcons secondary Roland Lawrence had a decent year as did Glazebrook and Pridemore, and I think that was Kenny Johnson rookie year also. It was such a 180 degree change from 1977 and though it wasn't statistically better it was effective enough and produced 16 sacks from Joel Williams a chit load of ints. Richardson and Curry both had great years. Of course this doesnt mean squat in 2012 but by bringing in the right players and having the right coach Nolan is BTW the defense can be effective as **** and if nothing else fun to watch. I expect a hybrid defense think there will be some intense practices and one or two surprise starters on defense. Nolan wouldn't have walked in here unless he thought he could make his base defense work. With some tweaks here and there .

lol what do you want them to do, have a completely different depth chart for when they run the 4-3?

...Thats what teams do.

Tell me what LBs on their team can play in a 4-3? I see 1, and another who could but would be needed to play DE

One look at the roster reveals they are a 3-4, like every team Nolan has been with for a loooooooong time