What If We Put The Tag On Grimes

what if we tag grimes. anyone know what the pay would be and would it be worth it for one year which would give us time to reevaluate his knee/how he fits in if we change scheme. also give us time to work out a deal if we want him. lets say he doesnt perform quite as well then his value goes down making it easier to sign long term. or if he really performs maybe tag again and trade him if we dont want the make the investment.

You set yourself up for a **** if you do, **** if you don't scenario.

If he fails to perform, why would you want to sign him?

If he does okay (like he has done so far), he still is not worth the money he wants. The team cannot justify wasting a ton on him just because they are under contract to overpay Robinson.

I think the fans of this team confuse a good corner with a very good corner and some even confuse a good corner with a shut down corner. That is probably because we are so used to seeing crappy corners that when someone gets out there and times a few jumps right, we think he is the 2nd coming of Dion Sanders.

If he does okay (like he has done so far), he still is not worth the money he wants. The team cannot justify wasting a ton on him just because they are under contract to overpay Robinson.

I think the fans of this team confuse a good corner with a very good corner and some even confuse a good corner with a shut down corner. That is probably because we are so used to seeing crappy corners that when someone gets out there and times a few jumps right, we think he is the 2nd coming of Dion Sanders.

Grimes is statistically one of the best corners in the NFL. You don't let players like that go.

your Fantasy bbal team kicking *** ..

if we franchise Grimes think it would be 12 million ..plus it would be against our cap which would cut in half

TD is a moron for not taking care of him last year

Nobody offered Grimes but us last year. It's pretty clear he put his value too high for the market. We'll see what he signs for (and who) this year, but I'll bet it's lower than he and his wife want.

They should have paid the man long ago. It's now too late.

But it's not too late for Lofton.

Exactly...by not signing him according to his terms before the Giants game, the team pretty well made it clear of their intention to let him go.

As for Lofton...they will get that deal done and it won't be an unreasonable amount for his contribution to the team.

Nobody offered Grimes but us last year. It's pretty clear he put his value too high for the market. We'll see what he signs for (and who) this year, but I'll bet it's lower than he and his wife want.

OOPs I meant to reply and hit like. LOL.

Nobody offered because they would have owed the Falcons a 1st round pick.

He'll look a lot better this year for free.

I wouldn't be scared to let him test the market. He is a good corner, but he is still 5'4" and no team is going to pay big time $$$ for a midget to cover Calvin Johnson.

You watch how rich that little midget gets.

theres a lot of variables that go into that.. if its a mutal agreement that grimes want to be here then you can tag him and try to wrk out a contract.. if he wants more money then sadly enough i would let him walk...

But if your tryin to insinuate that brent isnt a very god corner then u might be a lil confused... All you have to do is look at our other cornerback opposite of him and see a average cornerback... Grimey is a top 10cb in the NFL, That puts you in the status of a very good cb already... The kid is going to get paid not like dunta but because this kid can ball...

Wouldn't that pay him the average of the top 5 corners? That's steep for one year, especially when we need to resign players that want to be here. We also need cap room to obtain free agents at other positions, so I doubt we tag him.

Apparently it's different now.

In the past, a franchise tag was derived from averaging the top five salaries at a particular position from the previous season. The new formula is much more complicated and is formed by determining the franchise tags at that position over the last five years as a percentage of the overall cap figure in each of those five years.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8247df3a/article/franchisetag-values-will-be-down-across-the-board-in-2012

It will still be expensive but apparently not as expensive as it would have been.

look Grimes is a good cover corner, but his size does get to be a problem near the endzone, ...on deep passes he has time to time his jumps and run under the ball, but on a quick slant, anybody above 6 feet can shield him in the endzone, and his tackling his below average, add that to his hands not being that great.... that to me does not speak of a franchise player, we could plug in Franks, maybe lose a little at that position but save money to fix the pass rush and oline

I wouldn't be scared to let him test the market. He is a good corner, but he is still 5'4" and no team is going to pay big time $$$ for a midget to cover Calvin Johnson.
that midget held calvin in check when he played man on him.. why we went away with that to this soft zone that got him over 100yds is beyond me.... but grimey is the only cb in the leauge that i have see out jump calvin for a ball... Never saw ANYONE do it.. thats wat made calvin so dang hard to stop...
look Grimes is a good cover corner, but his size does get to be a problem near the endzone, ...on deep passes he has time to time his jumps and run under the ball, but on a quick slant, anybody above 6 feet can shield him in the endzone, and his tackling his below average, add that to his hands not being that great.... that to me does not speak of a franchise player, we could plug in Franks, maybe lose a little at that position but save money to fix the pass rush and oline
seriously when have u seen that happen??? Ive never seen ANY team try.. forget try ive never seen a team even complete a slan on him in the redzone...

Grimes is statistically one of the best corners in the NFL. You don't let players like that go.

AB doesn't like you throwing around stats....and a 5'7" 180lb CB about to be 29 is not going to get Top 5 CB money from this organization with other players needing to be resigned and needs at other positions....

Do you honestly think Grimes is a Top 5 CB??? Revis, Woodsen, Asamaugh, Samual, Champ, Flowers, Finnegan...just off the to-p of my head....

Franchising him would cost too much. I say let him walk. He is replaceable.

Agree 100%...I thought Franks played well at the end of the season, and we can bring in a serviceable FA....

that midget held calvin in check when he played man on him.. why we went away with that to this soft zone that got him over 100yds is beyond me.... but grimey is the only cb in the leauge that i have see out jump calvin for a ball... Never saw ANYONE do it.. thats wat made calvin so dang hard to stop...

My favorite play of the whole year.