Can Mike Nolan Even Interview For Falcons Dc Position? He's Under Contract W/ Dolphins Still And They Want To Retain Him....

g-dawg

I don't know if Mike Nolan will get a chance to interview for HC position in Miami - but I doubt it considering he did not get it done in San Francisco.

Obviously Mike Nolan did a "bang up" job with Dolphins defense and they like him down there - the "rub" as they say is the Dolphins are searching for a head coach and the head coach may or may not want to retain Mike Nolan when he(whoever that is) gets hired. A smart head coach would want to retain him.

I've heard ZILCH about Mike Nolan interviewing with ANYBODY. My guess is the Dolphins are refusing interview requests for a lateral move until such time as they hire new Head Coach - who then goes on to determine that he does not want Mike Nolan.

I've got a bad feeling that Mike Nolan won't be available and Spagnuolo is not coming here. Hope I'm wrong!

I don't know if Mike Nolan will get a chance to interview for HC position in Miami - but I doubt it considering he did not get it done in San Francisco.

Obviously Mike Nolan did a "bang up" job with Dolphins defense and they like him down there - the "rub" as they say is the Dolphins are searching for a head coach and the head coach may or may not want to retain Mike Nolan when he(whoever that is) gets hired. A smart head coach would want to retain him.

I've heard ZILCH about Mike Nolan interviewing with ANYBODY. My guess is the Dolphins are refusing interview requests for a lateral move until such time as they hire new Head Coach - who then goes on to determine that he does not want Mike Nolan.

I've got a bad feeling that Mike Nolan won't be available and Spagnuolo is not coming here. Hope I'm wrong!

If that were the case, who would you see coming in here?

His contract is "renewable" every year...and I can't rationalize how that works. Is it renewable from just a team's perspective, meaning if we want you next year we can renew and that's that. Or does he have an option to agree with or deny the "renewal". To me, if something's "renewable", then it has to have an expiration date.

JBO said, from a Miami beat writer, that Nolan can opt out of this year of his contract. I find that believable because I doubt his name would continue to be thrown around as options if he couldn't leave. The media is dumb sometimes, but they do have logic. It's not like they are throwing illogical names out like Lovie Smith or Perry Fewell.

His contract is "renewable" every year...and I can't rationalize how that works. Is it renewable from just a team's perspective, meaning if we want you next year we can renew and that's that. Or does he have an option to agree with or deny the "renewal". To me, if something's "renewable", then it has to have an expiration date.

how did you come upon this information? I've never heard that one before - could be true though -

seems odd language - especially for guy with as much leverage as Nolan should have given his track record.

JBO said, from a Miami beat writer, that Nolan can opt out of this year of his contract. I find that believable because I doubt his name would continue to be thrown around as options if he couldn't leave. The media is dumb sometimes, but they do have logic. It's not like they are throwing illogical names out like Lovie Smith or Perry Fewell.

ok thanks...

I didnt say it... I dont know his contract... The Miami writer said it..Dude knows the contract

https://twitter.com/...878399052955649

BenVolinPBP Benjamin Volin

Nolan's technically under contract with Dolphins, but it's a renewable option thing that he can get out of. He worked with Mike Smith in BAL

Also to the OP... Like Mike Smith said... giving permission to interview one of your guys is a mute point (just showing some respect by the other team...You cant say no) if they are offering him a higher position... You cant really block that.... Offering Nolan the DC and the assistant HC job would be a higher position (unless they try to offer him the assistant HC job)

We will see what happens tho... IDK.. I just want to know who got the job... Im tired of talking about this or that..lol

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-12-15/miami-dolphins-team-report-team-could-part-ways-with-defensive-boss-nolan

Link above provided by Dirty Code - article below by Sporting news.

"Nolan’s contract with the Dolphins is renewable after each season, but solely at his boss’ discretion. Nolan has no power over whether or not he will return next year, but he doesn’t seem too worried about it."

per this article that was cited above - it says the Dolphins control the contract.

If we get left out on both Spags and Nolan, I think the fans will go in to next season not high on the team.

ill be honest... I want Nolan or Spags but it doesnt have to be them.. I just want a good coach that comes from an aggressive system that will bring aggressiveness to our D.

Those 2 are the sexy names do ofcourse those are the names we want...

http://aol.sportingn...sive-boss-nolan

Link above provided by Dirty Code - article below by Sporting news.

"Nolan’s contract with the Dolphins is renewable after each season, but solely at his boss’ discretion. Nolan has no power over whether or not he will return next year, but he doesn’t seem too worried about it."

per this article that was cited above - it says the Dolphins control the contract.

See this is why i just hope our DC is named today... I'm not getting any work done.. lol

BenVolinPBP Benjamin Volin

Nolan's technically under contract with Dolphins, but it's a renewable option thing that he can get out of. He worked with Mike Smith in BAL

But we could go around all of this by offering him the assistant HC job...

We what know anything until reports come out about the guys we have interviewed or when the new DC gets the job

well for me its 1) Spagnuolo and 2) Nolan.........I don't even know who #3 is. I don't want Jack Del Rio for dayum sure.....

I will have to re-assess.

#3 for me would be tim lewis... I dnt see many potential after spags and nolan.. i kno blank said he wants a coach with a "different sprespective"(outsider) but that area is scarce...

I wanted Spags the most, but in the last couple of days of reading about Nolan I really hope we are getting him. I'm a little concerned with how the 3-4 4-3 hybrid will work, but from all accounts Nolan is the better DC of the two.

I'm getting the feeling Nolan is the guy and I hope I'm not let down.

ill be honest... I want Nolan or Spags but it doesnt have to be them.. I just want a good coach that comes from an aggressive system that will bring aggressiveness to our D.

Those 2 are the sexy names do ofcourse those are the names we want...

You need a big name DC coach to get fans excited, fans are not going to be excited if they go out and get a college DC or some low-class defensive coach.

Guest King Shot

If we get left out on both Spags and Nolan, I think the fans will go in to next season not high on the team.

I wonder how that would manifest itself. Maybe people start filling the Georgia Dome during half time instead of midway through the 2nd quarter?

Everybody just hold yer horses here about Nolan. Look at this guys history and tell me why the Falcons want him here....

The Dolphins’ defense has excelled in two years under defensive coordinator Mike Nolan. It jumped from 22nd to sixth in total defense in 2010, Nolan’s first season with the team, and this year is third against the run and fifth in points allowed (18.9 per game).

Here is a guy who worked with a team that had few tools and yet the portion of the team he was responsible for improved!! How can the Falcons be interested in this guy? It goes against the process they put in place this season as evidence by the hiring of the amazing OC from Jax!!

rolleyes.gif

Everybody just hold yer horses here about Nolan. Look at this guys history and tell me why the Falcons want him here....

The Dolphins’ defense has excelled in two years under defensive coordinator Mike Nolan. It jumped from 22nd to sixth in total defense in 2010, Nolan’s first season with the team, and this year is third against the run and fifth in points allowed (18.9 per game).

Here is a guy who worked with a team that had few tools and yet the portion of the team he was responsible for improved!! How can the Falcons be interested in this guy? It goes against the process they put in place this season as evidence by the hiring of the amazing OC from Jax!!

rolleyes.gif

We have to keep the average defense tradition going.

rolleyes.gif

yes, we want someone that can take Falcons from #22 in passing yardage allowed to #19 - small incremental process, Jerry. In 20yrs we should have a good defense - by then I should have grandchild or two...