Honest Assessment Of Matt Ryan

After watching the QBs perform this weekend in comparison to Matt Ryan, I noticed one glaring difference. They found a way to make a play when their team needed it. They either scrambled for first downs, bought time with their legs and made a throw, or just did that extra something to get their team in position to score. All this under less than perfect conditions (stellar oline play). Say what you want, but our QB did not do this in crunch time against good opponents all year. Not to say that he hasn't before or can't, but he didn't this year. He hasn't been cool under pressure.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Which one of them was a 4th year QB? Don't say Flacco because he isn't winning those games like Eli and Brady. Flacco had 176 yards. That defense carried the load with 3 INTs. Eli wasn't the QB he is now in his 4th year. Neither was Brees. Neither was Rodgers just 2 years ago in Arizona. Give him an offense that helps, and he could.

Which one of them was a 4th year QB? Don't say Flacco because he isn't winning those games like Eli and Brady. Flacco had 176 yards. That defense carried the load with 3 INTs. Eli wasn't the QB he is now in his 4th year. Neither was Brees. Neither was Rodgers just 2 years ago in Arizona. Give him an offense that helps, and he could.

Flacco was getting pulverized by Houston for much of the game. Nice back shoulder throw and catch to Lee Evans in th fourth quarter. Did you see that? Eli was drafted in 2004. Won a Super Bowl in 2007-2008 season. Isn't that 4 years? How many yards and TDs did Rodgers throw for in that Arizona playoff game back in 2008? Outstanding that game, defense not so much.

not to mention they have all played a minimum of 2 seasons more than Ryan has. the ability to make big plays in this league come with experience of being in those situations.

TJ Yates and Tebow made plays last week to help get their team over the hump. Heck, Tebow won the game. Oh wait, aren't they rookies ? Nevermind.

Touche'

He had help with that DLine though. They kept the game close. Eli made a miracle throw. But you can't tell me Eli now is the same Eli from 07.

Nope but Eli played huge in playoffs in his 4th year . He made key plays something Ryan has failed to do . Eli wasn't great vs us either but he made the plays his team needed Ryan has failed in back to back playoffs and has not done his job

People sure getting feisty and defensive when you give a fair and honest assessment of the QB. Why does Matt Ryan's shortcomings have to always be someone elses' fault? When does he start garnering some of the blame. What if Dirk Koetter cant jump start this offense? Is it his fault? Will it be Mike Smith's fault? What about the QB coach (whoever that is )? Just like every other unit on this team, Matt Ryan needs to step up!!!

If I'm making an assessment over the last four years, he's good...not great. He can win you games, he can win you games in the fourth quarter, I'm just not sure he's someone you say "alright, it's on you...go get it" when the pressure is through the roof. In 08, he played fearlessly. In 10, he tried to match Rodgers and failed...this year he played scared. I'm curious to see what a new OC can do with him, but I don't have delusions that we have the next Brady or Manning.

We have a good QB that we can win with....we don't have a great QB that can win for us. But only 5 teams do, so....it could be a lot worse.

Nope but Eli played huge in playoffs in his 4th year . He made key plays something Ryan has failed to do . Eli wasn't great vs us either but he made the plays his team needed Ryan has failed in back to back playoffs and has not done his job

He can't make a play when there isn't a play to be made. That happened a ton in MM's offense. If you can't agree on that, then I give up

If I'm making an assessment over the last four years, he's good...not great. He can win you games, he can win you games in the fourth quarter, I'm just not sure he's someone you say "alright, it's on you...go get it" when the pressure is through the roof. In 08, he played fearlessly. In 10, he tried to match Rodgers and failed...this year he played scared. I'm curious to see what a new OC can do with him, but I don't have delusions that we have the next Brady or Manning.

We have a good QB that we can win with....we don't have a great QB that can win for us. But only 5 teams do, so....it could be a lot worse.

I beg to differ:

Eli

Brady

Peyton

Big Ben

Rodgers

Brees

Rivers

Vick

I gave you eight, with Stafford and Cam not to far behind.

Edited by Slick Skillet

agreed,

except for Brady, who came right in and is the best

Brees= a good QB in San Diego, but put him with the right coach, right system and a couple more years of experience=great QB

same with lilManning, same with Alex Smith,

but do have to add, there was an element to Ryans game to extend a play or move around in his first 2 years, that is just not there anymore, and 3 year he barely got sacked, so dont know

He was a gunslinger in college and made some amazing plays in his first couple of seasons, but you can only have ball security beat into your head so much until it becomes detrimental.

You look at other qb's and they are looking to make a play while Ryan was more concerned with not making a mistake.

Hopefully now that MM and his buddy are gone, this will change.

He can't make a play when there isn't a play to be made. That happened a ton in MM's offense. If you can't agree on that, then I give up

What are you talking about? Eli can scramble and pick up yards. He does it all the time. Did you see the Falcon game? Did you see the pass to Nicks before halftime Sunday. Erverybody in the stadium and at home thought he was going to throw a quick out to gain a few extra yards for the kicker. He fooled everyone and went for the jugular. Same situation as last year in our playoff game with Green Bay. Ryan throws a quick out to Roddy White. Tramon Williams, pick six. One guy made a play for his team, the other QB made a play for the opposing team.