• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone remember...... No high caliber coach with a pedigree will come to the Falcons Orgainization to work under Mike Smith. The front office has no choice but to interview 2nd tier hires. And you can forget Spags for DC...no way on earth would he work for Smith and his vanilla defensive philosophy and TD's draft picks.

The DC pick will surprise / anger us as well.... as we will get an aging nfl coach on the decline or another college coach with potential......

Welcome to Falcons Football folks.

Swift they can deny Clements. They did last year when the Bears asked. But of course you're going to say "Why would they allow him to interview for the Bears!?" lol based on your assumption, because he would "resent the franchise".

The thing about doing things in private if you don't know who they talked to or what they did. How do you know they didn't turn over every potential stone. Why bother Al Borges when that isn't even a possibility?

It's just hilarious your skepticism and how you find so many ways to spin it.

So you are saying we never even talked to Clements ? if Packers denied it we can still talk to him when playoffs are done .

Vel - you don't hire your first Person that walks through the door

Falcons front office did a terrible job . They didn't even interview another candidate . So how after Blank speech about that good is not great blah blah blah we go out and hire first candidate

It doesn't make sense ?

How come no other team was knocking on Koetter door

It's funny the Jags didnt give him interim coach when Del Rio was canned

Swifty whose to say the FO had'nt already had there eye on Koetter going foward I really think the % of info coming out of Flowery Branch its really hard sometimes to get a beat on where we are going with regards to some moves as we as a fanbase and we speculate at best with that hence we get all this over reaction on the moves.

I mean this OC move is exactly that alot of the fanbase have written this guy off and he hasn't even got 2 feet in the door as yet I mean how stupid is that I see much the same with the hiring of MS 4 years ago uit was who the h$ll is this guy but in all reality MS hasn't done that badly in his time here.

I just want to hear that the Falcons did their due diligence. To hire someone from the coaches former team, less than a week after the fact doesn't tell me the Falcons left every stone unturned. The hire reeks of nepotism and comfort. We have to live with it. I would have felt better if the team waited a couple weeks, announced that they were interviewing, and then went with Koetter. They rushed the hire, and kept the process completely confidential. When they knee jerk hire the one guy many of us said that they had no business hiring, and mocked DLed for suggesting, only confirms fears about this organization.

How do you know they didn't do their due diligence? That's the thing. This franchise is very quiet. They don't have to come out and give you a list of OCs they interviewed. They don't have to give any information other than who they hired. Rumors say they moved on from BVG and MM after the Saints game. They could have been doing their due diligence since then.

The problem a lot of you have is they didn't do everything in public and the way YOU wanted them to do it (i.e. wait for Clements to become "available", waited a little longer, etc.). Who else should they have interviewed? Who else was there to interview besides Clements? Who is lining up knocking on his door to hire him away besides PSU? If Philbin is hired away, Clements may more than likely become their OC.

Would everybody be happy if they came out and said "We tried to talk to Clements but we weren't given clearance"? I doubt TD, if not Smitty, would tie his career to a hire based on nepotism. If you truly think they would, you lack faith in the intelligence of Blank, TD, and Smitty. Clements is not involved in game planning or any kind of play calling to warrant such demand on this board. And I am saying this as one of the posters who created a thread months back and some of you crying for us to interview him shot holes in why I wanted him. Now that I am giving y'all the same arguments back, it's not justification enough for you. Clements' only time as an OC, he was stripped of his duties by MM.

Swift, your analogy about not hiring the first person to come in is valid. But right now, we are all at the "employee" level. We aren't in the room figuring out who else was available for hire. We just see who is hired. We don't know if they turned over every rock or not a single rock. Just like Nolan and Spags are our top 2 choices for DC, Clements and Koetter were obviously our top 2 for OC. Nolan is Clements, he is still obligated to a team. The difference is the names of the DCs vs the OCs. We chose Smitty over Spags, everybody erupted with a "WHO?!" just like now just because Spags had the bigger name. Spags went to STL and failed miserably. It has happened, plenty of times, that the best coaches are sometimes stuck in awful situations only to go to a better one and thrive tremendously. This has that exact same possibility.

Everybody, or mostly everybody, that dislikes the hire are pissed that we didn't wait to talk to Clements and that they would have felt better about the hire if we would have at least talked to him.

My thing is this: How do we know we even got the permission to talk to him when it was over? They said they requested permission to talk to both. They obviously got the permission to talk to Koetter. Yes, the Packers were in the Playoffs still and we couldn't, but the fact that they didn't wait suggests that maybe they didn't even get the clearance to talk to him in the first place. So then it was left to Koetter, Billick, and Schotty. I sure as heIl didn't want the last two.

But, Clements is a QB coach. His last stint was with the maligned Bills, where he got his duties stripped by the guy we kicked out of here. Not to mention that guy we all hated led the 10th ranked offense, but the guy we are ripping led the 32nd ranked offense. Based on that, you guys would rather have MM back than give this guy a chance.

I know everybody has their opinions and I am not one to change it. But at least look at the big picture. Koetter finally has talent and was a hot name just last year. Now that he got stuck with Gabbert, he isn't a "hot" name. Smitty wasn't a hot name when we hired him over Spags but we sure are pretty successful the last 4 years.

The Falcons have not been transparent in their search. We do not know if we really asked for permission or if we had intended to hire Koetter from the jump and just floated another "fan friendly" name out there. Really, that release made no sense at all, why would we ask permission to speak with a guy who didn't have a job? Koetter's contract expired at the end of the 2011 season & he was told he wasn't coming back (he had known that since Del Rio was fired per a Jacksonville Times interview written in mid-December). Then we said we asked for permission to speak to Clements, but there is no indication that we did.

I have a feeling that we'll find out a little more about how free Clements was to speak to other teams in the very near future.

The Falcons have not been transparent in their search. We do not know if we really asked for permission or if we had intended to hire Koetter from the jump and just floated another "fan friendly" name out there. Really, that release made no sense at all, why would we ask permission to speak with a guy who didn't have a job? Koetter's contract expired at the end of the 2011 season & he was told he wasn't coming back (he had known that since Del Rio was fired per a Jacksonville Times interview written in mid-December). Then we said we asked for permission to speak to Clements, but there is no indication that we did.

I have a feeling that we'll find out a little more about how free Clements was to speak to other teams in the very near future.

So because they weren't transparent enough for you, you don't like the hire?

To show how poor some of you guys' arguments are, click the link and see how it instantly thwarts the bolded part.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82600f9b/article/falcons-request-permission-to-interview-clements-koetter?module=HP11_headline_stack

You're just talking noise with no basis of facts.

So you are saying we never even talked to Clements ? if Packers denied it we can still talk to him when playoffs are done .

Vel - you don't hire your first Person that walks through the door

Falcons front office did a terrible job . They didn't even interview another candidate . So how after Blank speech about that good is not great blah blah blah we go out and hire first candidate

It doesn't make sense ?

How come no other team was knocking on Koetter door

It's funny the Jags didnt give him interim coach when Del Rio was canned

I don't agree with Swifty often but this is one time he is on target with all points. Good post.

Everyone remember...... No high caliber coach with a pedigree will come to the Falcons Orgainization to work under Mike Smith. The front office has no choice but to interview 2nd tier hires. And you can forget Spags for DC...no way on earth would he work for Smith and his vanilla defensive philosophy and TD's draft picks.

The DC pick will surprise / anger us as well.... as we will get an aging nfl coach on the decline or another college coach with potential......

Welcome to Falcons Football folks.

Attitude like this is why outsiders think Atlanta fans doesn't deserve craps. This franchise never had back to back winning seasons for 40+ years. This current regime had 4 straight winning seasons and 3 playoffs in 4 years... and yet dumb fans think that no one wants to come to work for this franchise. Seriously, can you have any lower self-esteem? It's might not be as bad as a beauty queen think she is overweight being a size 1 instead of size 0, but it's pretty close.

Buccaneers received permission to interview Packers QB coach Tom Clements for their head coaching vacancy later this week.

Welp I guess they didn't want Clements. Who knows if we got permission or not though? All we could do was ask. They asked. There aren't reports on whether we did or didn't get permission

Buccaneers received permission to interview Packers QB coach Tom Clements for their head coaching vacancy later this week.

They can't stop him from interviewing for a HEAD COACHING POSITION. They can, however, keep him from interviewing for coordinator/positional coaching positions.

Dude, this really isn't that hard to understand. Why are you struggling? laugh.png

They can't stop him from interviewing for a HEAD COACHING POSITION. They can, however, keep him from interviewing for coordinator/positional coaching positions.

Dude, this really isn't that hard to understand. Why are you struggling? laugh.png

They can't stop him from interviewing for a OC job either he is now a QB coach. An OC would be a promotion so he can do the interview if he wants to. The key control factor is a lateral (requires permission) verses a promotion (does not require permission).

Edited by delaigle
Guest TheIdowu

Welp I guess they didn't want Clements. Who knows if we got permission or not though? All we could do was ask. They asked. There aren't reports on whether we did or didn't get permission

Why is this so hard to understand?

They can't stop him from interviewing for a OC job either he is now a QB coach. An OC would be a promotion so he can do the interview if he wants to. The key control factor is a lateral (requires permission) verses a promotion (does not require permission).

THEY DONT UNDERSTAND THAT ..lol

The Bucs have received permission to interview Packers QBs coach Tom Clements for their head-coaching vacancy.

The Bucs also got access to Packers OC Joe Philbin today. If they're really interested in becoming Green Bay South, they could try hiring Philbin as head coach and Clemens as coordinator in a package deal. Clements is one of a near-countless number of candidates receiving consideration in Tampa.

Imagine waiting on Clements had the Packers went deep in the playoffs and not liking his philosophy he wants to bring, meanwhile any other league wide considered high tier available coach is gone...thats why you don't lock into one potential hire.

Also are you sure we didn't interview any other candidates? I mean are you an inside source at the branch or just someone who takes what he gets from the web and makes uninformed decisions based off that?

Falcons should of took their time and talked to several other people there was no rush to hire Koetter. I am sure someone who took the Jags offense from 7th to 32nd in four years wasn't on any NFL teams list of coaches to go after. There are not many teams out there dumb as ours

Edited by Brehus

Wrong. That promotion/lateral move rule no longer exists except when a player is interviewing for a HC position. HC interviews (unless the candidate is currently a HC) can not be blocked. All others (regardless of the positions) can.

I mean, it really isn't that complicated guys.

You are correct Voice of Reason ..they actually changed the rule in 2010 it seems ..Just looked at the tampering rules

with that being said I seriously doubt Tom Clements was denied for OC ..

we would have heard from our front office or a report from a beat writer

You are correct Voice of Reason ..they actually changed the rule in 2010 it seems ..Just looked at the tampering rules

with that being said I seriously doubt Tom Clements was denied for OC ..

we would have heard from our front office or a report from a beat writer

Just like we have heard we WERE granted permission? Nobody has a clue what is going on in FB. I am fine with that. But we don't know if we DID or DIDN'T get permission. Why does finding that out seem like the Preparation H some of you are looking for?

Just like we have heard we WERE granted permission? Nobody has a clue what is going on in FB. I am fine with that. But we don't know if we DID or DIDN'T get permission. Why does finding that out seem like the Preparation H some of you are looking for?

Because it is the only thing that symbolizes the uncertainty they feel about hiring Koetter. Some posters don't want Koetter, and rationalize their position by using the lack of knowledge we all have about who we were interviewing as a question mark for the work of the FO. The same thing with the argument that Smith and Koetter are buddy-buddies..

People want the bigger names out there, and some will always be disappointed if we dont get them, and then use these kind of assumptions to support their argument and position towards the hiring.

Koetter wasn't the sexy name from the recordsetting offense, but that doesn't mean that he isn't the right man for the job.. But as a fan base, it can be hard to keep the faith that the FO did their due diligence without getting the name of every possible candidate, but since they said during the press conference, that they would do their work well and do everything in private, I see no reason to panic about this hiring and the lack of candidate names thrown around.. Because we simply don't know if they didn't do their due dilligence either. People just assume that.

I think it is very brave of Smith and TD, to hire someone they know the fanbase won't recognize instantly as a big name, and someone who has previous ties with Smith (creating speculation whether it was a buddy-hire). But both TDs and Smiths job are on the line if this doesn't pan out, so why on earth would'nt they want to do their due diligence?

Edited by niels petersen