Tom Clements

vel

Everybody, or mostly everybody, that dislikes the hire are pissed that we didn't wait to talk to Clements and that they would have felt better about the hire if we would have at least talked to him.

My thing is this: How do we know we even got the permission to talk to him when it was over? They said they requested permission to talk to both. They obviously got the permission to talk to Koetter. Yes, the Packers were in the Playoffs still and we couldn't, but the fact that they didn't wait suggests that maybe they didn't even get the clearance to talk to him in the first place. So then it was left to Koetter, Billick, and Schotty. I sure as heIl didn't want the last two.

But, Clements is a QB coach. His last stint was with the maligned Bills, where he got his duties stripped by the guy we kicked out of here. Not to mention that guy we all hated led the 10th ranked offense, but the guy we are ripping led the 32nd ranked offense. Based on that, you guys would rather have MM back than give this guy a chance.

I know everybody has their opinions and I am not one to change it. But at least look at the big picture. Koetter finally has talent and was a hot name just last year. Now that he got stuck with Gabbert, he isn't a "hot" name. Smitty wasn't a hot name when we hired him over Spags but we sure are pretty successful the last 4 years.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are saying we never even talked to Clements ? if Packers denied it we can still talk to him when playoffs are done .

Vel - you don't hire your first Person that walks through the door

Falcons front office did a terrible job . They didn't even interview another candidate . So how after Blank speech about that good is not great blah blah blah we go out and hire first candidate

It doesn't make sense ?

How come no other team was knocking on Koetter door

It's funny the Jags didnt give him interim coach when Del Rio was canned

Everybody, or mostly everybody, that dislikes the hire are pissed that we didn't wait to talk to Clements and that they would have felt better about the hire if we would have at least talked to him.

My thing is this: How do we know we even got the permission to talk to him when it was over? They said they requested permission to talk to both. They obviously got the permission to talk to Koetter. Yes, the Packers were in the Playoffs still and we couldn't, but the fact that they didn't wait suggests that maybe they didn't even get the clearance to talk to him in the first place. So then it was left to Koetter, Billick, and Schotty. I sure as heIl didn't want the last two.

But, Clements is a QB coach. His last stint was with the maligned Bills, where he got his duties stripped by the guy we kicked out of here. Not to mention that guy we all hated led the 10th ranked offense, but the guy we are ripping led the 32nd ranked offense. Based on that, you guys would rather have MM back than give this guy a chance.

I know everybody has their opinions and I am not one to change it. But at least look at the big picture. Koetter finally has talent and was a hot name just last year. Now that he got stuck with Gabbert, he isn't a "hot" name. Smitty wasn't a hot name when we hired him over Spags but we sure are pretty successful the last 4 years.

They could have waited ONE more day to see what actually happened in yesterdays game if they wanted a shot at Clements.

I think the consensus is that since we are hearing whispers that they interviewed NO ONE else that this stinks of cronyism.

Now, If AB comes out in the presser today saying something along the lines of "We interviewed 5 candidates (not just guys from within the team already) and felt that this guy was our man" then I think many of us would feel much better.

To interview only one person for ANY job is just silly. I dont care if its for a position mopping the floor, you talk to more than one person.

And yes he doesn't have the pedigree that some of you want but there are plenty of instances of offenses not working due to severe lack of talent. That same offense in Green Bay that we want to poach from ranked 32nd in San Francisco in 2005 with no talent. But what Koetter has is an intricate mind for the passing game and stretching the field, two things we begged for from MM. Koetter, evidenced by his interviews knows a ton about the passing game but his most recent stint shows he knows how to lean on a running game to complement it.

No I'm not the happiest of campers, but I did want MM gone at all costs. If this is who I get, then all he has to do is be better than MM. That's win when it counts. If you aren't convinced by the articles and videos, at least marginally, then you won't be until you see something. But at least have a real argument why as opposed to just saying you don't like it and think it's a buddy hire. They knew each other for 1year. That's not enough time to hang your career on him. He isn't del Rio

Unfortunately, I don't work in the FO of the Flowery Branch facility. Otherwise I would know if they had other interviews. As for Clements, he wasn't too successful against the Giants yesterday. Looked to me like the Giants had his offensive scheme dialed in pretty well and tore it apart causing Rodgers to miss passes, force passes, fumble, get sacked alot, and, lose.

On the bright side, the Falcons are now in a league with the Packers. Both teams lost bad to the Giants in the playoffs and thePack too is now "one and done" in 2011 post season play....

Swift, you can't interview a guy under contract if the team denies you. What are you talking about we could have talked to him after the playoffs. We need permission. That's what all aren't getting. If we don't get it, we can't talk to him. That's tampering.

Falcons4life - they wanted a shot at him. That's why they requested to talk to him. He was on the short list. Just because they are out of the playoffs doesn't mean he is available to talk. What if we waited and the Packers said no anyway?

But at least have a real argument why as opposed to just saying you don't like it and think it's a buddy hire. They knew each other for 1year. That's not enough time to hang your career on him. He isn't del Rio

Offense went from 7th to 32nd in 4 years under his tenure.....he took the team BACKWARDS.

His college career as a head coach he was 66-44...is this impressive?

He held a 1–11 record against top 10 teams, and was 2–19 against ranked teams......cant beat the elite teams.

Ya know what? Why dont YOU explain to US why this is such a magnificent hire! Because the guy has some youtube videos about the 4 verticals? Because he has a philosophy?

Track record and history mean a great deal and this guy does not have the resume to jump ahead of all the other candidates unless he has friends in high places.

Who else was interviewed? Why did this guy not only jump to the front of the line but get the job with no competition?

I have no choice to support this guy but jeez, he was far from a splash pick, a smart pick, or the best pick out of the group.

To interview only one person for ANY job is just silly. I dont care if its for a position mopping the floor, you talk to more than one person.

smittymoppingfloor.jpg

Lastly, the statement that he didnt have all the tools to succeed in Jax. Ok, so why spin the wheel of chance and let our team be the guniea pigs for this theories?

I mean....why does this team have to be the test case for him?

This was a high risk pick. He may or may not be able to succeed with "all the tools"

Honestly, he SHOULD do well because any OC worth his weight should be drooling over what this team has on offense but it still doesnt negate the fact that this FO did squat for research and hired someone totally not deserving.

Ive said ANYONE but MM can run this offense better than he did and I stick by that statement but did they have to cut it this close?

Swift, you can't interview a guy under contract if the team denies you. What are you talking about we could have talked to him after the playoffs. We need permission. That's what all aren't getting. If we don't get it, we can't talk to him. That's tampering. said no anyway?

First off I think your just assuming cause there have been no reports of us being denied . I will say 95% time permission granted . A team that denies permission usually has a good reason cause they see a future for this coach in their organization but most time they allow cause it would hold resent with coach

I believe that is incorrect . A team ask for permission to talk to a candidate when in playoff hunt but when a candidate is eliminated and he wants to advance his career he has that right

Swift, you can't interview a guy under contract if the team denies you. What are you talking about we could have talked to him after the playoffs. We need permission. That's what all aren't getting. If we don't get it, we can't talk to him. That's tampering.

Falcons4life - they wanted a shot at him. That's why they requested to talk to him. He was on the short list. Just because they are out of the playoffs doesn't mean he is available to talk. What if we waited and the Packers said no anyway?

If its a promotion to Asst Head coach I believe they can.

Edit....that might not be accurate after looking into it but regardless.....wait one day to get a yes or no answer. If its yes, then interview him. If no, they've wasted very little time for a guy no one was going to steal in those 24 hours.

More importantly at least it backs up AB's statement about an extensive search for the right guy.

Edited by falcons4life

Vel - is happy go lucky guy . I truly believe some of our fans would be happy if we hired a seeing eye dog as OC they would draw up a game plan to put positive spin on a situation .

There is no excuses . We just were 1 and done . We interviews no other candidates outside our own in house . What's worse is wen hire a guy that has connections to Smitty after both GM and Blank said they were looking outside box

I'm sorry I run a business I don't hire first person walks through my door . I leave every stone un turned . I also shop around for different products as well what would be best for my company

Even if first candidate impresses me I don't stop there

Imagine waiting on Clements had the Packers went deep in the playoffs and not liking his philosophy he wants to bring, meanwhile any other league wide considered high tier available coach is gone...thats why you don't lock into one potential hire.

Also are you sure we didn't interview any other candidates? I mean are you an inside source at the branch or just someone who takes what he gets from the web and makes uninformed decisions based off that?

If its a promotion to Asst Head coach I believe they can.

Packers could deny Clements for job upgrade after playoffs ? I'm not sure I heard that before

I know couple of years back Jerry Jones didn't want anyone scoping up Garret so he promoted him and gave him more $

The Packs, Offense was just fine against the Giants. Dropped passes, killed them. Unlike last yr where they caught everything. Its different playing when you are the FAV. at home and supposed to Win. Some players get a little tight and think too much.

Clements can interview anywhere he wants, as long as it is a move UP. He doesn't need permission from anyone. That's league rules. Maybe he likes his job?

So you are saying we never even talked to Clements ? if Packers denied it we can still talk to him when playoffs are done .

Falcons front office did a terrible job . They didn't even interview another candidate . So how after Blank speech about that good is not great blah blah blah we go out and hire first candidate

It doesn't make sense ?

Yea, I too, think it's funny we hire him, with no other interviews. I think this was all orchestrated.....they take MM, and Bratkowski, and we take Mr. Kotter.

The Packs, Offense was just fine against the Giants. Dropped passes, killed them. Unlike last yr where they caught everything. Its different playing when you are the FAV. at home and supposed to Win. Some players get a little tight and think too much.

Clements can interview anywhere he wants, as long as it is a move UP. He doesn't need permission from anyone. That's league rules. Maybe he likes his job?

^^^^^^^^This maybe it was not the packers who denied the interview (I do not think they can on a promotion)

Maybe it was Clements that declined the interview, maybe he did not want the Falcon's job!

Who knows!

Edited by delaigle

The NFL does not differentiate between levels of assistant coaches in its rules regarding their availability to interview with other teams. Whether the coach is a defensive line coach or an offensive coordinator, the rules are the same. If a team wishes to interview an assistant coach who is still under contract with another team for its head coaching position, the current team is required to give permission for the interview as long as it happens between the end of the team's season and March 1. After March 1, teams can still ask, but the current team is not obligated to give permission.

So while they could deny it, why would you want to piss off one of your employees by denying him the chance to advance himself?

I just want to hear that the Falcons did their due diligence. To hire someone from the coaches former team, less than a week after the fact doesn't tell me the Falcons left every stone unturned. The hire reeks of nepotism and comfort. We have to live with it. I would have felt better if the team waited a couple weeks, announced that they were interviewing, and then went with Koetter. They rushed the hire, and kept the process completely confidential. When they knee jerk hire the one guy many of us said that they had no business hiring, and mocked DLed for suggesting, only confirms fears about this organization.

It doesn't make sense ?

I think he was hired before we even played the Gaints game. Here is my thought. I think, MM already knew he had the Jags jobs. He said, he and Bratkowski were watching Jags film. That means, MM had already promised Bratkowski the OC job there. So Smitty and TD hired this guy as Smitty was familiar with the man.

Edited by qbusa

Is there any other team going after Clements for OC? I haven't heard his name as a hot candidate. It seems only some fans on here have a distant man crush on Rodgers and want to live out a fantasy by having his QB coach here as our OC. Maybe there's a reason, like he's happy coaching QBs or not a good OC in people's eyes. I don't get the intrigue with this guy...