Those Of You Saying This Was A Safe Move...

...are mentally ********.

This was not a hire made because Smitty and him were buddies. They were together for a year. A YEAR.

Those of you saying he's like Mularkey have clearly never watched this guy, let alone heard him speak...no one would be able to do much with everyone on the roster on IR, they made GB last year look like the healthiest team in sports. His gameplan, while more conservative than other offenses I've seen him run, is largely based off of personel, and we have the team to give him a significant boost.

Those of you saying this was a "safe" move have no understanding of this word's meaning...if we had no ties to JAX, it wouldn't even be cropping up. This is a very dangerous hire, one with a chance of immediate and not-horribly-expensive success if you ask me.

It's not safe.

We'll see how 2012 turns out.

I agree it was a dangerous hire. A whole lot of people are going to lose their jobs if it doesn't work.

I could probably name 10+ guys off the top of my head we could bring in that would implement a safe offense, bringing in 8-10 wins next year while going one and done or not to the playoffs at all. Instead, we went after a guy who admittedly has had little success, but one whose philosophy is the complete opposite of MMs. He's had little talent, but I've seen plenty from what guys he's had with talent.

MJD? Elite RB now.

Marcedes Lewis? Made a PB tight end.

Sims-Walker? Great in JAX, not even mentioned anymore.

Garrard? Barely backup worthy imho, but put in a situation where he even put up 18:3 TD:INT numbers where he was inaccurate a lot of the time.

It's far from guaranteed, hence why I'm saying it's risky...but I like our chances with this guy.

maybe no one wants to come here. maybe the feeling is that smith is on the hot seat after the abysmal playoff performance. if the falcons lose like that next year in their first game again the feeling is he may be fired. again this is just speculation, but im starting to get frustrated at smith from seeing no "progress" from this year

Hiring someone coming from recent failure appears more risky than hiring someone who has

recently had success. Familiarity and safety aren't always connected.

Gil Brandt says it was a good hire and that this guy will coach Ryan up, etc. Gil Brandt is a relic

from the past but he does know football.

Regardless of who we had hired we would be in the same spot as fans and that is waiting to see how

it will work out. There are no guarantees if you hire bigger names. We would have higher hopes and

bigger expectations at this point. There would be off-season enthusiasm in place of large ????????

That would be the case if Clements or whoever else was hired. If it doesn't work, people will probably get fired regardless of who the hire was.

But because this move is so unpopular, I think the staff has less margin of error. I think the Falcons are looking at blackouts next year if they lose early. They better win.

There is a nice video with DK breaking down x's and o's with Brian Billick on one of the threads.

That has helped me know more about who we are talking about. He is capable. I feel better after

watching that.

Turner will need to come in at about 235 to be able to run that option route like MJD.

There is a nice video with DK breaking down x's and o's with Brian Billick on one of the threads.

That has helped me know more about who we are talking about. He is capable. I feel better after

watching that.

Turner will need to come in at about 235 to be able to run that option route like MJD.

Looking for it because I really want to like this guy and hope he takes our O and lights it up.

But because this move is so unpopular, I think the staff has less margin of error. I think the Falcons are looking at blackouts next year if they lose early. They better win.

Unpopular with who? YOU the rest of the people on this board. Despite what everyone wants to think AB signed off on this move period. Big names mean jack. Mike Singletary was a big name look what he did.

watching that.

Why would turner have to run it? He could do something with Quizz that MM would have never been able to do.

Some people who buy tickets. That will be the same people who are going to the games in the end.

Season tickets are a big investment, and people are influenced by the direction they think the team is going in.

Arthur Blank understands this, that is why he held that press conference last week.

Season tickets are a big investment, and people are influenced by the direction they think the team is going in.

Arthur Blank understands this, that is why he held that press conference last week.

Again I will repeat what was disregarded in a previous post. HE signed off on this signing. It is his money, his team, and his passion. He gave the go ahead.

Why would turner have to run it? He could do something with Quizz that MM would have never been able to do.

TD is into the art of surprise he says. So that would be a big one to make Turner more

of a weapon and less of a one trick pony. Sun Tzu for the unenlightened souls.

That doesn't change the fact that he will hold Smith and TD accountable if it doesn't work.

I know it does not change that fact, but when you talk about investment this and people stop buying tickets that and all this other stuff without acknowledgement that he approved it, so why would he do such a risky move. He is a business man first. He is very close with Robert Kraft; he is and has learned from one of the best.

TD is into the art of surprise he says. So that would be a big one to make Turner more

of a weapon and less of a one trick pony. Sun Tzu for the unenlightened souls.

Oh yeah I forgot Branden Jacobs runs so many option routes doesn't he? Nope. That is why you have a 2 back system. No one on defense knows when an option route is coming so they will not have a bead on it by who is in the backfield. Turner will still run routes and screens just not option routes. When you add the screen game he becomes a bigger weapon. Big man in open field blockers a head of him is a scary sight for CB and S.