Dirk Koetter Video - Talks Offense And Option Routes

didz

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to give this guy a chance, but there is nothing in this video that isn't already in the Falcons offense. They talked extensively about the Falcons option routes during the Giants game.

I'm glad somebody brought this up. While watching that video I was thinking we already run this. Also with the exception of the go route on the left every route was either an in, out or curl. Somethin these boys have been btchn about for four years. WTF?

We do have option routes, predominately for Gonzalez. Yes, we run them, but not nearly as prolifically as this guy does. And of course what he's putting up is vanilla -- you expect him to give up his gameplan on a video with Billick?

Biggest concern by far is o-line. Everything else I see from this guy is a plus.

After watching the video I can see why Smith hired him very basic stuff. Not impressed at all

I love the video, because this is the point that must be made outside of his mediocre resume

He has only had to make sure that one guy got the ball in Jacksonville

he now has to make an adjustment to understanding he now has multiple players that he must use to have the offense run on all cylinders

Thats going to take a season, then once he figures out that side now he has to figure out how to scheme to win a playoff game, thats going to take a season

Then IF, IF, he figures that out, now he has to figure out how to win a Superbowl, thats going to take 2 seasons

This guy knows nothing about the NFL post season, its going to take time for him to become whatever TD and Smith thinks he can become, and in my opinion should already be

hmmmm.. not sure after watching this video.... Just read Billicks body language....... As If he's saying... this is straight out of A Div III A playbook coach koetter, no wonder Jacksonville has no offense, Let me draw you an NFL play to take back to Florida to try out...

The fans bashing this guy before he is given a chance probably couldn't comprehend anything he was saying anyway. Because I highly doubt people so quick to judge a guy would have ever played football in their lives. Nothing he said should lead you to believe hes big about throwing the ball to the running back, he clearly stated he gets the ball to the best player. That just happens to be MJD.

Guest King Shot

Honestly....GREAT VIDEO!! This does a lot in relation to changing my mind about the koetter hire....I may be wrong about him!! Seems extremely intelligent! Biggest thing I noticed..he describes ATTACKING with his BEST PLAYERS. Not taking what the Defense gives him....

My #1 most hated phrase in football:

"Taking what the defense gives you."

No, you take what you want.

Well this guy isn't going to make Michael Turner a better route runner. That ship has sailed.

He would have to become a route runner first and then maybe he could become better. So this hire

is screaming something to me about Turners future here. I chose to think he needs to come in lighter

quicker and faster for starters. I won't speculate beyond that.

The fans bashing this guy before he is given a chance probably couldn't comprehend anything he was saying anyway. Because I highly doubt people so quick to judge a guy would have ever played football in their lives. Nothing he said should lead you to believe hes big about throwing the ball to the running back, he clearly stated he gets the ball to the best player. That just happens to be MJD.

Who's Not Played the Game Again?? : )

Carson+Colts+Pee+Wee+Football+286.jpg

Gotta wonder if Roddy is split wide right if it doesn't become read "high to low" leaving our Back as the safety valve. I agree, MJD was it on that team. Building routes for HD, TG, JJ, RW and whoever our back becomes will be interesting. Not sure any would be lame ducks to pull guys out of the coverage. Ryan just has to understand which of those have man on man and target him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZIcmxljMvU

Dirk Koetter, charasmatic, good looks, great man, talks about how he runs option routes with his "BEST" players. In this case he talks what he does with MJD as far as passing situations go. Enjoy and lets all pray its not a MM system.

Conceptually his offensive theories are spot on. I've seen all the posts about the lack of talent on the Jaguars Team; and they are valid. THis is proven by the OC focusing on the MJD as his primary look. But, that being said, despite our enourmous talent on offense we need a versatile rb with speed, shiftiness and not only great hands by YAC ability. Turner is not that guy. What this video tells me is that we will either be going after a Matt Forte type of FA back (injury a concern?) or using our second round pick on a versatile RB. This is necessary to make Koetter's offense work because basically he's forcing the defense to respect the QB's ability to not only complete a pass, but gain YAC, from the WR, TE and RB positions.

I'm still kinda not sold on hire; but I can see it work if the following things happen:

1) draft or sign a versatile "roger craig" type running back. Matt Forte type for you modern Madden players. No way around that

2) Solidify the OLine at either the G or LT positions. The reason I point out both, is because I doubt we will be able to do both with our draft choices and dollars available. Note: I put this as #2 behind the RB spot; because I think our best chance to attack will be add another weapon--the passcatching and YAC rb

3) Resign Harry Douglass or sign/draft a slot WR.

Number 3 could be arguably more important than #2 (Oline); as the vertical 4 concept is about stretching the field horizontally as well as vertically. We have Julio Jones who can stretch the field most vertically (20 yds plus); Roddy (if not traded for picks?) is a good intermediate vertical field stretcher (10-15 yds); TG is our best horizontal and vertical threat in the short range (5-10 yds); but he has no YAC ability. Having a Slot WR that is versatile enough to force the LBs and safties inside in that crucial 5-10 yard dump-off range, due to his YAC ability will pay huge dividends for Julio and Roddy. Combine that with a RB that can basically either emulate the slot guy or simply "rush the ball" by short passes and the blitz is negated quite a bit.

Be interesting to watch how this all unfolds. The one thing I didn't like, but understand was his comment that MJD was the first look. You like to think with Julio and Roddy that we look downfield for Matt's first two looks and the field down and more horizontal.

He would have to become a route runner first and then maybe he could become better. So this hire

is screaming something to me about Turners future here. I chose to think he needs to come in lighter

quicker and faster for starters. I won't speculate beyond that.

I think either Turner is resigned at a lower price and relegated to "pound" the ball in eat the clock situations late in the game and maybe goal line packages; or either cut outright. This guy's offense seems to require that the rb is not a "one trick pony." Ironically, I'm good with this, as whenever Turner is in the lineup the opposing defense doesn't even seem to care if Matt throws to him; because they know it'll either be incomplete or there will be zero YAC if he happens to catch the ball

If he is a big proponent of throwing it to the running backs then Turner could find himself on the bench quite often.

He stepped up and made some catches this year (most ever for him I think) but its not his forte.

speaking of forte, he would like nice in this offense

Sounds good. Who's going to be MJD in this offense?

Sounds good. Who's going to be MJD in this offense?

A lighter Michael Turner would be a start. Then Antone Smith, the forgotten

man, and Quizz. We may have an adjusted roster by the time training camp starts.

Stand by.

Lol at everyone suggesting we need a new running back. First off he's only focusing on mjd becausr it's his only consistent offensive weapon and best player. We don't need to turn turner into the next forte. We can do things with the passing attack similar to gb who doesn't use their rbs all that much in the passing game. We can create mismatches with the slot wr and te.

Lol at everyone suggesting we need a new running back. First off he's only focusing on mjd becausr it's his only consistent offensive weapon and best player. We don't need to turn turner into the next forte. We can do things with the passing attack similar to gb who doesn't use their rbs all that much in the passing game. We can create mismatches with the slot wr and te.

Yes we can.

We would create more with a more versitile back.

I am not saying we need to trade Turner or he sucks or is slow or anything like that none of that is true.

I am saying we SHOULD trade turner, let some team like the skins,colts or some other team needing a front line back give us a couple picks, replenish our draft stockpile and get one of the 10 backs in FA who while not better runners then turner are shiftier and better pass catchers,

Trade him now while he has value and get something for him instead or waiting a year or 2 when he crashes into that +30 wall and we cut him,

Reading this article made me feel a little bit better about the hire.

Things I don't like - He had the #32 offense in the league last season. The Jags were horrible on offense. There were other options that have had more success at the NFL level than him.

Things I do like - He did set the Jags franchise scoring record with almost no receivers, David Garrard starting and a backup QB for a good portion of that season.

Things I love - He tries to get his players the ball with their body turned upfield. Mularkey had WAY too many comeback routes. It seemed like every throw was to a WR coming back, stopping in their route, or cutting back to the sideline without ever getting a chance to turn upfield. He also likes to throw screen passes, things we didn't see nearly enough of. Jones Drew had 374 receiving yards in that offense. And I loved his quote about not wanting to work hard for 4 yards and preferring to take a shot downfield.

There is one thing I will say that bodes well for him. We all had the same reaction to Blank hiring TD, Mike Smith, and Mularkey. None were the sexy pick we all wanted. Smith didn't have head coaching experience and there were others that had more success as a DC on better teams. TD was a scout that many thought was a product of the Pats system, noting how other people that left the organization did not have success. Mularkey flopped in Buffalo and Miami had one of the worst offenses in the league with him as a Tight Ends coach. Those three guys inherited a 3-13 team and made us relevant from day 1 with one of the best regular season records in the entire league over the past 4 seasons.

To those that are going to reply to me with our playoff record, it bothers me that we haven't won in the playoffs as well, but we have to call it what it is. These guys inherited a 3-13 team and sent them to the playoffs 3 out of their first 4 seasons. We only went to the playoffs 8 times in the previous 41 seasons, so I'd say they've done a **** good job in the time they've been here. There's still room for improvement, but these guys exceeded all of our expectations from day 1. Raise your hand if you predicted 11-5 after that 3-13 debacle. If your hands not raised, sit down.