Aints Looking At The Same 2 Defensive Coordinators That We Are Looking At..

crankdatfalcon

Report: Gregg Williams leaving Saints

By Pat Yasinskas

This isn’t a huge surprise, but ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that New Orleans defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is expected to leave the Saints and join Jeff Fisher in St. Louis.

Williams worked for Fisher in Tennessee and the two are close friends. Williams’ contract with New Orleans is expiring and there had been speculation he would join Fisher. Williams joined the Saints in 2009 and his trademark opportunistic defense came up with lots of turnovers as New Orleans won the Super Bowl that season.

But Williams’ defense wasn’t able to produce turnovers at anywhere near the same rate in 2010 or 2011. The Saints’ defense collapsed late in the fourth quarter of Saturday’s playoff loss to San Francisco. If Williams hadn’t already made a decision on his future, the two late touchdowns scored by the 49ers might have sealed his fate. I never got the sense Williams and head coach Sean Payton were especially close and Payton might have been looking to make a change after what happened Saturday.

Schefter reports that New Orleans already has a short list of potential replacements -- former Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo and Miami defensive coordinator Mike Nolan. Those two also have been mentioned as potential defensive coordinators in Atlanta.

Even with the season over, we could see the Falcons and Saints battling over defensive coordinators.

Report: Gregg Williams leaving Saints

By Pat Yasinskas

This isn’t a huge surprise, but ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that New Orleans defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is expected to leave the Saints and join Jeff Fisher in St. Louis.

Williams worked for Fisher in Tennessee and the two are close friends. Williams’ contract with New Orleans is expiring and there had been speculation he would join Fisher. Williams joined the Saints in 2009 and his trademark opportunistic defense came up with lots of turnovers as New Orleans won the Super Bowl that season.

But Williams’ defense wasn’t able to produce turnovers at anywhere near the same rate in 2010 or 2011. The Saints’ defense collapsed late in the fourth quarter of Saturday’s playoff loss to San Francisco. If Williams hadn’t already made a decision on his future, the two late touchdowns scored by the 49ers might have sealed his fate. I never got the sense Williams and head coach Sean Payton were especially close and Payton might have been looking to make a change after what happened Saturday.

Schefter reports that New Orleans already has a short list of potential replacements -- former Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo and Miami defensive coordinator Mike Nolan. Those two also have been mentioned as potential defensive coordinators in Atlanta.

Even with the season over, we could see the Falcons and Saints battling over defensive coordinators.

This is what I was afraid of with Williams going to St Louis.

Guest Negatorris

I'll take Nolan over Spags. Either way they can't have both, right? And surely our guys aren't dumb enough to go get some random guy who we haven't even heard about...

RIGHT?! TELL ME I'M RIGHT!

I'll take Nolan over Spags. Either way they can't have both, right? And surely our guys aren't dumb enough to go get some random guy who we haven't even heard about...

RIGHT?! TELL ME I'M RIGHT!

I wish I COULD tell you you're right...but, I can't. After today's hiring, we may get a high school coach. :-(

Which team would you go to? The one with the super powered offense or the one that scored 2 points in the playoffs and just got Koetter from the Jags? I hope we get the better DC. I'm not even sure which one that is.

I'd go to the one that puts me back in a position to be a HC. Taking a job where the defense has talent that has never truly been utilized and making them better would do that. Going to the high powered offensive team, your job is just to make sure that their offense scores slightly less than your high powered offense. The Atlanta job on paper, for two guys who were former HC's is the more attractive.

Edited by Magic Man

Which team would you go to? The one with the super powered offense or the one that scored 2 points in the playoffs and just got Koetter from the Jags? I hope we get the better DC. I'm not even sure which one that is.

Where would you want your family to live? The onetime murder capitol cesspool of corruption and crime that is New Orleans or Atlanta?

Even their head coach doesn't have his family in New Orleans anymore... They're safe in Texas.

Where would you want your family to live? The onetime murder capitol cesspool of corruption and crime that is New Orleans or Atlanta?

Even their head coach doesn't have his family in New Orleans anymore... They're safe in Texas.

Definitely rather live in ATL. Good point. What if he likes gambling? :)

We'll probably lose that battle to

More than likely. The problem Atlanta has is that Mike Smith is perceived to be on the hot seat. Dirk Koetter hire doesn't help. For anyone looking at it from the outside it was a puzzling hire that may end Mike' Smith's career with the Falcons if unsuccessful. On the other hand Sean Peyton's job is much more secure. Saints coaching job is much more attractive than the Falcons.