We Deserve Answers.

paulitik

Exactly, that goes to my original question, was this the best candidate possible? If so, why?

Nobody can answer this question because there wasn't one. Billick wasn't better nor was he coming. We didn't even have permission to interview Clements or we would have waited. Schotty was the other name and nobody wanted to go near him.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what bothers me most, is that they didnt interview any other OC's, I mean at least bring in Martz and here what he has to say about how he would run this offense, or Jackson or Billick, or Clements(who can now be given permission to interview) did they do their due diligence? make a complete search???? I mean the position has only be open for like what 4 days????? Geez

mike smith just lost his job after this season because of this move. his desire to work with those he's worked with in the past rather than choosing what is best for the team will be his ultimate failure just like jim mora.

you know, thats who Dirk reminds me of, MORA, Mora never had great talent in SF when he was the D. coordinator, there was nothing about his defenses that screamed hire this guy, very average results, he was all attitude but paper thin, he had great ideas, but they never crossed over to the actual game

So, if I could pull up posts from 4 years ago [ can't they only archive for about 2 years], I'm betting the the same exact posts were made about Smith.

My first reaction was WTF? Did we get a draft pick thrown in on the trade?

Don't see any middle ground on this hire, either it's a cowardly, hire-a-buddy move that will end up with Smith getting fired next year or he actually is the best guy for the job and we'll go deep in the playoffs. No way to tell right now.

Then why have an angry press conference promising change? How is going back to Smitty's roots change? You'd say the same thing if we hired Justin Bieber as OC. If I'm buying tickets and merchandise, the Falcons need to explain the logic of the hire, because the only thing that made Koetter a candidate was his relationship with Smitty.

problem is D-Ledbetter cannot speak in complete sentences nor form a coherent thought to ask a tough question - neither will any of the other writers for AJC.

The only one that asks good questions at Falcons press conferences is Steak Shapiro - and he even will go soft now that 790-the-zone is the flagship station of the Falcons.

I wish you and me could get into Flowery Branch and ask some tough questions on the logic and process behind the hire. If Falcons don't PANIC and make the hire today - we could have at least "kicked the tires" on Tom Clements (Packers QB coach) as early as tomorrow.

What was the rush? I doubt Koetter was going to get the BAMA job anyway - and who should be jumping at this guy given the resume'.

I think the answer is this: Mike Smith does not want anybody getting into Flowery Branch that he has never coached with - he's worried somebody on staff is going to be gunning for his head coaching job.

This leads me to think that Mike Smith will make another "underwhelming" hire for the Defensive Coordinator as well - probably the secondary coach on the Jaguars right now or something. I agree that Mike Smith "hangs on to tight" and seems to coach "scared".

Look, we have Koetter now so I'm going to support him and hope for the best - once you are in Flowery Branch I have no choice but to root for you as Falcons are my team - so I will end my beotching at midnight tonight - 24 hour rule.

One thing is for sure - Mike Smith will go up or go down with Dirk Koetter - there will be no third bite at the apple. I hope Smith is ready to live with the consequences of these two hires - if nothing changes and Falcons play the same way - then Mike Smith will be out of Flowery Branch in a year or two.

Sooooooooooooo....I don't think it was at least a hire that needed to be rushed.

Having said that, I'm moving on........Go Falcons and Go Dirk Koetter - wish you much success.

So, if I could pull up posts from 4 years ago [ can't they only archive for about 2 years], I'm betting the the same exact posts were made about Smith.

My first reaction was WTF? Did we get a draft pick thrown in on the trade?

Don't see any middle ground on this hire, either it's a cowardly, hire-a-buddy move that will end up with Smith getting fired next year or he actually is the best guy for the job and we'll go deep in the playoffs. No way to tell right now.

This is a totally different situation than the Smith hire, besides Smitty had a ring and a proven track record of success. The falcons weren't in any position to bring in top notch talent after the Vick/Petrino debacle. Any candidate would die for a chance to coach an offense with this talent, and we hired one of Smitty's old Jaguar buddies. It doesn't tell me that all avenues were explored.

This is a totally different situation than the Smith hire, besides Smitty had a ring and a proven track record of success. The falcons weren't in any position to bring in top notch talent after the Vick/Petrino debacle. Any candidate would die for a chance to coach an offense with this talent, and we hired one of Smitty's old Jaguar buddies. It doesn't tell me that all avenues were explored.

May have been different situation- promise you the posts were the same.

Falcons knew this was coming- they may have actually quietly done their due diligence. This may be the best hire they could have made. Maybe Clements wouldn't talk to them or GB refused to give permission, maybe Bilick had a quiet conversation with Smith over the dinner table at Christmas and told Smith there wasn't any way he was coming back.

I don't know, but neither do you-like I said, doesn't appear to any middle ground here, this will either be very bad or very good.

Our fan-base is absolutely TERRIBLE. You guys call people "Trolls" and "Closet _____ Fans" for calling out piss-poor performances by our players, then turn around and act like little know-it-all Doom and Gloomers over this hire before we even have a chance to see what the guy can do w/ our offensive roster. You guys are ******* embarassing. If you are so caught up on offensive rankings without being objective as to what lead to them why the **** did you all want MM gone in the 1st place. Afterall he had us as one of the leading offensive teams in the NFL. The stats for him didnt mean jack **** to you all so why are you so caught up on this guys stats. You are all a bunch a la-la cry babies. Get over it and lets see what the guy can actually do before we start reacting.

This

I dont know how Blank approved of this by the way he spoke in the exit interview. I am not happy but lets see what he does when the season comes around. I was really excieted to get a new set of coodinators, and was hoping for a big name guy who could bring some swagger to our talented offence and help Matt Ryan let loose. But that is not happening. If this doesnt work out Smith must go. But at least we can still hope we get Spags.

Edited by TSprings11

May have been different situation- promise you the posts were the same.

Falcons knew this was coming- they may have actually quietly done their due diligence. This may be the best hire they could have made. Maybe Clements wouldn't talk to them or GB refused to give permission, maybe Bilick had a quiet conversation with Smith over the dinner table at Christmas and told Smith there wasn't any way he was coming back.

I don't know, but neither do you-like I said, doesn't appear to any middle ground here, this will either be very bad or very good.

No posts from me. The fact that Parcells used us for leverage was a shout to the league that this organization was toxic, and pathetic. I accepted the Smith hire because of his Ravens background, and success with the Jags D. There is literally NOTHING on Koetter's resume that shows any semblance of being remotely similar to the Smith hire. It's not there.

I think the FO got scared no one would be available to interview until after the Conference Championship games and panicked. Then they watched the Packers lose tonight.

For the record, I never thought the Billick hire was a good idea, but at least he has real success to point to.

No posts from me. The fact that Parcells used us for leverage was a shout to the league that this organization was toxic, and pathetic. I accepted the Smith hire because of his Ravens background, and success with the Jags D. There is literally NOTHING on Koetter's resume that shows any semblance of being remotely similar to the Smith hire. It's not there.

I think the FO got scared no one would be available to interview until after the Conference Championship games and panicked. Then they watched the Packers lose tonight.

For the record, I never thought the Billick hire was a good idea, but at least he has real success to point to.

Paulitik, I usually agree with all of your posts, but I'm not ready to put my head in the sand or go jump off of the Washington Monument just yet because of this hire. For one, there weren't really any better options available -- I'm not sold on Clements ever being a successful OC in this league. Koetter seemed to be very respected around the league coming into this season as an OC on the rise, with lots of creativity... I am waiting to see what he can do with actual talent at a position besides just his running back before I make my decision. I'm more concerned with who we hire as DC and with who TD brings in to help improve the offensive and defensive lines in the draft and free agency.

Now, if we don't do anything to improve our o-line or d-line... THEN we all might have cause to march on Flowery Branch.

Then why have an angry press conference promising change? How is going back to Smitty's roots change? You'd say the same thing if we hired Justin Bieber as OC. If I'm buying tickets and merchandise, the Falcons need to explain the logic of the hire, because the only thing that made Koetter a candidate was his relationship with Smitty.

wasnt 1 year they were together??they wernt forest & Bubba!lol at least i hope

Well I think pauitik asked some valid questions, and I think vel provided some good answers to those questions followed by Robbs blistering responses to those answers. Unfortunately some other responses by posters were just the usual emotional outbursts with no logic provided, but that is fine. We all know this is a forum where you can come vent.

For me personally, you guys know I state many times I really don't have a lot of knowledge about the NFL in general. Therefore, I didn't have a strong opinion of who we should get as our new OC. That being said, I would like to point out that most of what we have all based our opinions on is mere speculation.

None of us has any inside information about who the candidates actually were, or that the selection process involved. We had names thrown out by the media, but we don't really know if the Falcons were interested in those guys at all. We do not know whether they in fact talked to some of these guys, with the exception of Clements who was unavailable due to the Packers still playing. But again, we don't know if he was ever someone they were targeting or not: the media were speculating on the names.

But like many of you I was underwhelmed by the hire simply because of how awful the Jags offense has been. For now I will just have to trust that the FO knows what they are doing, and pray that they do.

I really can't buy into any of this talk of Smitty hiring a buddy, or being afraid of bringing in someone that might show him up though. From all appearances to me, Smitty seems to be a very confident person, and a team oriented personality. I am quite sure that he knows these hires will determine his future job status here as I am quite certain that Mr. Blank will not tolerate mediocrity in this organization.

Finally, to the poster who wrote the disparaging remarks about Mr. Blank, I am quite disgusted by those remarks as they are totally uncalled for, rude to the point of ridiculous and callous beyond description. Mr. Blank deserves our respect and admiration for what he has done for this team and the city of Atlanta. No one wants the Falcons to succeed more than this man.

This is PROOF that Mike Smith SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED with the others!

MORE PROOF that TD should have BEEN FIRED WITH THE OTHERS!

I am now beginning to regret Arthur Blank buying this team!

WE DON'T WANT A SUPERBOWL WITH THIS HIRE, WE WANT TO EMPTY THE DOME AND SELL THE TEAM TO LA NEXT SEASON!

NICE GOING ARTHUR, YOU NOW LOOK LIKE A BAD DAY LABORER AGAIN!

Being I live In L.A I Would LOVE IT AND i Bet The Place Would Be FULL from Kickoff To The VERY end!unlike umm ya

I think what bothers me most, is that they didnt interview any other OC's,   I mean at least bring in Martz and here what he has to say about how he would run this offense, or Jackson or Billick, or Clements(who can now be given permission to interview)   did they do their due diligence? make a complete search????   I mean the position has only be open for like what 4 days????? Geez

FUNNY AS HEII did You Do a Complet search before all youre vast knowledge made this post ??I wait for # 7

MS knows his career is riding on these coordinater selections. It is his luxury to select who he feels is the best fit, even though it may not be the most inspiring choice for the fans.

An explanation is not owed to any of us, regardless of how much money you spend on the team. It is explained in wins and losses, and in that department MS has been the most successful in Falcon history so far.

Remember when everyone wanted Bill Parcells and the other big names and we got MS and everyone was like WTF? Just have to let it play out and calm down.

MS knows his career is riding on these coordinater selections. It is his luxury to select who he feels is the best fit, even though it may not be the most inspiring choice for the fans.

An explanation is not owed to any of us, regardless of how much money you spend on the team. It is explained in wins and losses, and in that department MS has been the most successful in Falcon history so far.

Remember when everyone wanted Bill Parcells and the other big names and we got MS and everyone was like WTF? Just have to let it play out and calm down.

I agree 100%. Time will tell, if it does not work out, Smith knows he will be out the door, so he probably paid close attention to this selection.

Look, unlike certain posters, when I dislike a decision that this team makes, I hope to be proven wrong. That said, I despise this hire. It is literally the worst, laziest hire we possibly could have made. Promoting Bratkowski would have been a better idea. Dirk Koetter has proven nothing in this league, and only proven to be able to beat mediocre teams in his college experience with no significant wins against good competition. He helped beat the Steelers, but look at the stat line from that game: http://www.nfl.com/g...ers#tab=analyze (3 Roethlesberger INTs, including a pick 6 by Mathis)

I have to seriously question this move, and if anyone from Falcons sees this post, maybe they could entertain us with getting some answers.

Since the hiring of Mike Smith, the Falcons have struggled winning important primetime games, games against elite teams, and most importantly playoff games. What on Dirk Koetter's resume says that he is the guy that can get this offense to a level where it can outscore teams like the Saints, Packers, Eagles, and Giants? When has this guy ever had a team play above it's talent level? No one can dispute the lack of talent on the Jaguars, but does any Offensive coordinator deserve a job of the same level after having his offense continually regress year after year until it's literally the worst in the league?

I understand that all signs pointed to Mularkey leaving, and that there was probably time to evaluate candidates before we ever knew he was getting the Jaguars coaching job. But less than a week after another one and done playoff loss, did the Atlanta Falcons actually interview any other candidates, and without any doubt is Dirk Koetter the best candidate available? Was waiting one day for a potential interview with Tom Clements not worth it? Was going to the Jacksonville Jaguars really the best model to base what you believe to be the remedy of our offensive issues? I'm sorry, but considering that Mike Smith brought the Jacksonville Jaguar philosophy into the building 4 years ago, with limited success, is going back to that well the wisest for getting this team over the top? Did the Atlanta Falcons look across the NFL and College landscape to find the best candidate to build a dynamic offense around their franchise QB, and elite weapons, or did they simply go get Mike Smith's buddy from his old team because he was comfortable with him? Does that decision coincide with what we were promised in Arthur Blank's press conference?

One year from now, if we have not improved what will this hire look like?

If we had gone with a candidate from a winning organization and failed how would that be perceived by the media?

At least if you step outside the box, you looked like you tried, but to go with the lazy, comfortable, "go with who you know" approach, you look too scared to shake things up. How can you respect a decision like this?

I have come to realize that all of Mike Smith's decisions are based off of fear. On the field, and now apparently off the field. We need to be convinced that out of all the potential candidates to fix our offense, Dirk Koetter was the absolute best candidate available. Until I get that answer, and I'm not saying I'm important enough to deserve it, but I am not going to be very optimistic on the future of this team, nor should I feel like I have to be convinced to.

That said, we need to know, was Dirk Koetter the best possible choice for this team?

I hope i'm wrong, but I deserve to have my doubts.

1) Will we improve next year?

A) Almost certainly not much record wise. I've worked in the field of continuous improvement for about 15 years. There is only so much "change" you can make before performance is impacted in the short term. With new coordinators on both sides of the ball, I would not be surprised if we look like the keystone cops for the first part of next season.

Even if it was the best of all moves, expect a learning curve. Plus, you have all the storming, norming, and performing stuff to keep in mind.

2) Why do we struggle against elite teams?

A) They are elite. It is not like we cruise by the easy teams all the time. We almost always beat bad teams, but we seldom "have them covered" the way the elite teams do. I suspect although our skill position players look great on paper, we are weak up front on both sides of the ball. No OC and DC are going to bring success unless they identify the players that need to be let go, and the ones that need to be added.

3) Why did we make the move so fast?

A) You touched on it. They didn't wait until the season was over to start the evaluation. They had a short list and this guy was on it.

4) Why this unproven guy?

A1) Most of the proven guys are spoken for. It is not like there are a bunch of highly qualified OCs with Superbowl wins roaming around looking for work.

A2) He matches the Falcons approach in a couple of ways. First, he likes the vertical game. If TD or Smith use the word "explosive" one more time, my head may explode. However, they like explosive, and this fellas mentality fits that. "Hit your targets moving vertically." "I don't like to work hard for 4 yard gains." Secondly, they believe in organizational stability. They feel you have to have a consistent approach overtime to build a consistent winner. They are looking for a guy that is likely to be here a few years.

Do I have my questions about the hire? YES! However, I can see how it makes sense in many ways.

Look, unlike certain posters, when I dislike a decision that this team makes, I hope to be proven wrong. That said, I despise this hire. It is literally the worst, laziest hire we possibly could have made. Promoting Bratkowski would have been a better idea. Dirk Koetter has proven nothing in this league, and only proven to be able to beat mediocre teams in his college experience with no significant wins against good competition. He helped beat the Steelers, but look at the stat line from that game: http://www.nfl.com/g...ers#tab=analyze (3 Roethlesberger INTs, including a pick 6 by Mathis)

I have to seriously question this move, and if anyone from Falcons sees this post, maybe they could entertain us with getting some answers.

Since the hiring of Mike Smith, the Falcons have struggled winning important primetime games, games against elite teams, and most importantly playoff games. What on Dirk Koetter's resume says that he is the guy that can get this offense to a level where it can outscore teams like the Saints, Packers, Eagles, and Giants? When has this guy ever had a team play above it's talent level? No one can dispute the lack of talent on the Jaguars, but does any Offensive coordinator deserve a job of the same level after having his offense continually regress year after year until it's literally the worst in the league?

I understand that all signs pointed to Mularkey leaving, and that there was probably time to evaluate candidates before we ever knew he was getting the Jaguars coaching job. But less than a week after another one and done playoff loss, did the Atlanta Falcons actually interview any other candidates, and without any doubt is Dirk Koetter the best candidate available? Was waiting one day for a potential interview with Tom Clements not worth it? Was going to the Jacksonville Jaguars really the best model to base what you believe to be the remedy of our offensive issues? I'm sorry, but considering that Mike Smith brought the Jacksonville Jaguar philosophy into the building 4 years ago, with limited success, is going back to that well the wisest for getting this team over the top? Did the Atlanta Falcons look across the NFL and College landscape to find the best candidate to build a dynamic offense around their franchise QB, and elite weapons, or did they simply go get Mike Smith's buddy from his old team because he was comfortable with him? Does that decision coincide with what we were promised in Arthur Blank's press conference?

One year from now, if we have not improved what will this hire look like?

If we had gone with a candidate from a winning organization and failed how would that be perceived by the media?

At least if you step outside the box, you looked like you tried, but to go with the lazy, comfortable, "go with who you know" approach, you look too scared to shake things up. How can you respect a decision like this?

I have come to realize that all of Mike Smith's decisions are based off of fear. On the field, and now apparently off the field. We need to be convinced that out of all the potential candidates to fix our offense, Dirk Koetter was the absolute best candidate available. Until I get that answer, and I'm not saying I'm important enough to deserve it, but I am not going to be very optimistic on the future of this team, nor should I feel like I have to be convinced to.

That said, we need to know, was Dirk Koetter the best possible choice for this team?

I hope i'm wrong, but I deserve to have my doubts.

And all will be revealed in September of next year, when the season starts. You can spend your time, here or on twitter screaming from the mountain tops about how your opinion is this is a bad hire, and this will NEVER work here, but it's a long offseason, and you are going to get hoarse, way before the FO runs out and says, "The message board is unhappy...we have to let you go Dirk, and hire Tom Clements...it's the only thing that will calm these guys down." You haven't seen his work with our pieces, but you are convinced that this will not work? I am holding my cautious optimism close to the chest.