The 3-4 Defense Is Coming To Town

Javon

Guest King Shot

Ok where do you suggest we find a viable NT?

Antonio Garay - San Diego Chargers, 6-4 330 lbs

Paul Soliai - Miami Dolphins, 6-4 355 lbs

Sione Pouha - New York Jets, 6-3 325

Aubrayo Franklin - New Orleans Saints, 6-2 317 lbs.

All free agents.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest King Shot

And to add on there is this thing the NFL does every year called the Draft

Yep.

Some of my favorites:

Alameda Ta'amu, Washington Huskies - 6-3, 330 lbs.

Dontari Poe, Memphis Tigers - 6-5, 350 lbs.

Josh Chapman, Alabama Crimson Tide - 6'1, 310 lbs. (size may make him look like a better fit for a 4-3 DT, but when you're the unmovable anchor in the middle of what could possibly end up being the most dominant defense in college football history, I'm willing to overlook it)

Guest King Shot

Why am I thinking Nolan had experience with the 4-3 as well as the 3-4? If I'm correct about this he'd be able to run a nice hybrid of the two so we could match up against the multi-faceted offenses of the NFL.

He runs a hybrid anyways and always has. There are very few teams who sit in the base 3-4 for the entire game. Demarcus Ware and Clay Matthews both take a fair amount of snaps with their hands in the dirt as the DE while the remaining 3 linebackers will shift over into a regular 4-3.

Why am I thinking Nolan had experience with the 4-3 as well as the 3-4? If I'm correct about this he'd be able to run a nice hybrid of the two so we could match up against the multi-faceted offenses of the NFL.

Nolan helped run a 4-3 in Baltimore for a couple of years (2001 - 2003). But his pedigree is definitely 3-4.

Hoping for a hybrid defense, base 3-4, with some 46 and 4-3 thrown in.

46? We can run that out of either 3-4 or 4-3. That's not really a base, it's more if a philosophy. But it's aggressive as heII and I'd LOVE to bring it in. Maybe we could talk Doug Plank (the original "46") to come back as an assistant and help install it.

Peters and Vance can easily bulk up and both are great at shedding their blocks. Babs wouldn't get bullied around; dunno why you're telling yourself that - and honestly I feel like RE would be a great 3-4 rusher if only because he's good at using his momentum, and I feel like that position will allow him more room to work with. Abe would quit under this scenario...? Now you're just blowing steam...I agree that Nicholas might not be the best rusher as a 3-4 OLB, but we can easily switch things up with El Sid on the line and rotational players.

Oh yes, "El Sid" is going to be the answer to our pass rush in a 3-4 D -- the kid who hasn't been able to do anything even though this team has given him chance after chance.

The Jets switched to a 3-4 and John Abraham told the team "F**k that"...also, he isn't a good 3-4 OLB -- so they traded him to us who use a 4-3. Now he's in his 30s with more wear and diminished explosion, and you expect him to be a beast at 3-4 OLB? Summation: Yes, he would not be back.

And Ray Edwards at 3-4 OLB is a joke. Look up what people look for in a 3-4 OLB. Hint: Not Ray Edwards.

Vance and Peters can "bulk up and are great at shedding their blocks?" At this point it is clear you do not know what you are talking about. 3-4 defensive ends, by all definitions, are supposed to occupy and take up space with the blockers, not shed them so the blockers can get to the second level. And Vance and Peters are below-average and average at best, respectively, defensive line talents.

Where you come up with this stuff I'm really not sure. Judging by your picture I wouldn't rule out drugs. Our team can't run a 3-4 unless we are going to bring in totally different front 7 personnel, excluding inside linebackers. We need to resign Lofton, try to resign Grimes, and we don't have a 1st round pick. How the **** are we going to fill out a 3-4 defense.

People who think we are switching to a 3-4 defense for next season are insane. Our defense would become what the Bills defense became when they tried to move to a 3-4 last year without the right personnel and were the worst D in the entire league...and sadly that isn't an exaggeration. And if you think I'm a Falcon hater, you'd also be wrong. I think we can right the ship and be a strong contender next year but not by doing anything like this.

if babs can play the UT in a 4-3 he is big enough to be a DE in the 3-4. kroy can stand up. peters can also play end.

the big hole would be a NT.

Exactly, and there in lies the problem. The hole is ALWAYS in finding the NT. You have to have a dominant nose or else the 3-4 is trash (and contrary to many on this board, you can't just stick some fat a$$ there and expect it to work).

EDIT: Want proof of the post above, just keep reading.

If we move to the 3-4 I think the only problem would finding a d end an olbs but i think we have those players in house. I think it could work with sid and kroy at olb, spoon and lofton at mlb. I think the line could get some good push with peters and bab at the d ends and vance at nt. we should draft a olb and dlineman also too fit the scheme. Possibly the alabma nt in the 2nd.

Hey guys Dolphins fan here. I know you guys may be looking forward to Nolan but I Dolphins organization will not allow you to interview him and that would be the only way you could hire him because you can't not make a lateral move to acquire a coach unless the team grants you an interview.

Blank,Smitty, and TD all said they were not going to BLOW up all the schemes in place. Meaning we will not be running the wishbone, or the wildcat, or the run and gun on offense, nor we will be running the 46 D, nor the 3-4 Defense on a regular basis.

Geez you guys act like we went 0-16.

Thank you. Some common sense!