Oc Candidates Per Jason La Canfora (Nfl Network)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Clements would be the guy off that list but he is not going to make Matt Ryan a better player doesnt have skill set of Arod

god you are easily becoming the most annoying part of this board for me personally with your isistent brand of ignorance. Matt Ryan is not the world beater some may seem to think around here but hes alot closer to that than what you give him credit for.

first, what's the point? Billick is not a fresh set of eyes. He would fall clean into the good ol' boy system. We'd be back at square 1.

second, Billick has been out of the league for a long time. Unless he draws up offensive plays while he's on the toilet then I would suspect that our offense would look pretty prehistoric.

third, I would personally view this as a bad move. He had a good team in Minnesota, but Baltimore was craptacular offensively.

Kinda agree with this.

Clements should be very attracted to the Falcons job. The OC position in GB isn't the promotion most would hope for, McCarthy calls the plays. Clements would have total control of the offense with Smitty at the helm. Not to mention, you have some pretty nice toys to play with here compared to getting an OC job like Jacksonville.

Jumping on the Falcons gig, would be the best way for Clements to get the recognition he wants, if he has his eye on a head coaching gig in the future,

Brian Billick's ego is not going to allow him to be a subordinate to his brother in law.

Besides that, I can't think of any coach in the history of the NFL that won a Super Bowl and then later took a job as an Assistant.

It might have happened......but I don't think so.

I kind of agree with you but, with the family or brother in law thing here it may actually be realistic.

MM...heck no...Schott and Bski are mirror images of him. This decision needs to be patient and well thought out. I believe TD will do so. We are trying to improve, not stay the same here. Now Clements sounds like a good idea, I just hope our front office can be patient enough to wait for GB to win the superbowl again before we rush into signing someone else. Billick is too old, point blank. We dont need someone to move us backwards..

Are you being sarcastic?? You mean their head coach??/

Yeah I'm being sarcastic but at the same time trying to tell you guys that's who is behind the offensive system and play calling in GB. Not Clements. Clements is two steps removed from McCarthy. He ain't even the OC. He's a QB coach. The last OC job he had was under Mularkey in BUF and he sucked. Mularkey took the playcalling duties away from him. Careful what you pray for.

Wouldn't Mike McCarthy be a better choice if we raid GB? I mean he's the one behind all the offensive success. Or at least Joe Philbin. He's the OC. Clements is the QB coach.

Sure, while we're at it let's get Peyton Manning to retire to be our QB coach, Spags as our D-Line coach, and hire Boomer to be the gatorade boy.

Schefter just tweeted that the Jags have contacted Brian Schottenhimer about becoming its OC. I think that makes perfect sense for him.

But I think Billick will be our choice. Mr. Blank talked about bringing in guys that could help give a different perspetive on players and schemes. The guy had a big tim OC even if it was over a deade ago and he has won a SB as a HC.

Billick fits the give a different perspective description.

Bankerbird, the teams assets are all invested in the passing game. #1-Matt Ryan, #2-Julio Jones, #3-Roddy White, #4-Michael Turner(30yrs old, last year of contract), #5-Tony Gonzalez.

Simply put, the team's talent is strongly invested in the passing game. The Falcons simply don't run an efficient passing game and fail on the biggest stage in the passing game. Schottenheimer/Koetter are no better than Mularkey when it comes to passing the ball.

It seems COMMON SENSE to me that the Falcons who have largely failed in the playoffs need to become more proficient on offense - and it seems COMMON SENSE to me that this is going to come by having a more dynamic passing attack.

So.......all respect to you but...........seems to me that Falcons Offensive Coordinator should be someone who has a track record with the very best of passing offenses. It does not mean the Falcons don't want to run the ball - obviously they do - but Falcons will never reach the SuperBowl if they have Hot Rods at Wideout positions but keep leaving them in the garage.

You and I don't disagree.

I would concur with you that the Falcons are most heavily invested on the offensive side of the ball, however, that doesn't necessarily portend that we're destined to become this cohesive, high-flying, synchronized, pass-happy offensive unit a la the Saints or Packers. Come to think of it, that was the expectation for this season when we drafted Julio, wasn't it, and look how that turned out. I'm not saying Julio didn't contribute; I'm simply saying expectations on offense still weren't met even after we added him - and at great cost to the organization's future.

It's an unarguable fact that both the passing game and the run game left a lot to be desired. Which goes back to my point about the Falcons not really having an identity. So, with that in mind, why should the emphasis be on hiring a pass-oriented OC, when what we really need is someone who is adroit and creative at incorporating both elements?

This team needs a mugshot, because it has no clue who it is or who it wants to be.

You and I don't disagree.

I would concur with you that the Falcons are most heavily invested on the offensive side of the ball, however, that doesn't necessarily portend that we're destined to become this cohesive, high-flying, synchronized, pass-happy offensive unit a la the Saints or Packers. Come to think of it, that was the expectation for this season when we drafted Julio, wasn't it, and look how that turned out. I'm not saying Julio didn't contribute; I'm simply saying expectations on offense still weren't met even after we added him - and at great cost to the organization's future.

It's an unarguable fact that both the passing game and the run game left a lot to be desired. Which goes back to my point about the Falcons not really having an identity. So, with that in mind, why should the emphasis be on hiring a pass-oriented OC, when what we really need is someone who is adroit and creative at incorporating both elements?

This team needs a mugshot, because it has no clue who it is or who it wants to be.

Falcons want to win on the biggest stage, right? That is the stated goal by Smitty, TD and Arthur. The teams that win on the biggest stage have very effective passing games. I would say - looking historically at SuperBowl winners - probably only about 1 out of every 8 SuperBowl winners has a more effective running game than passing game. While running the ball helps win games in the regular season the post-season is all about the passing game. Playoff defenses figure out ways to stop opposing teams running games.

If Falcons do not put more emphasis on passing game, they will never win a SuperBowl. History tells us this. I don't really think it can be refuted - teams like Baltimore Ravens of 2001 and Chicago Bears of 1985 that won with suffocating defense and average offenses - those teams just don't come around very long - suppose you could put the Bucanneers SuperBowl in there as well of the modern era.

How many SuperBowl MVPs have been running backs. Its all about making the QB as successful as possible.

Billick should be our number 1 target. He is an offensive genius, posting the most points scored by a team in a season with the Vikings while their OC. He then became head coach of the ravens and won a superbowl there. Some of the Raven teams had pretty bad offenses but that was the offensive coordinators fault, not Billicks. The Ravens also had horrible quarterbacks during his tenure so his offenses had little tomwork with. One of the years in Baltimore after the Ravens offense continued to sputter Billicks fired the OC and took control of the offense himself. That Ravens team went onto to post a 13-3 record and had a great offense.

He would be amazing on our team and would make Ryan into a 5,000 yards a year passing stud.

If we got Spags as our DC and Billick as our OC I'd be delirious with happiness. We'd have one of the top three or five coaching staffs in the NFL. The upgrades over BVG and Mularkey would be ridiculous.

Edited by RoastBeeph