Smith Knows Failure Starts With Him, Not Coordinators (Jeff Schultz, Ajc)

Supes™

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Schultz

Regardless, it often seemed Smith wasn’t on the same page as his coordinators. For as much heat as Mularkey took, Smith is the one more likely to order vanilla in an ice cream shop. VanGorder’s defensive resume is all about attacking and blitzing. But the Falcons were conservative.

You know your to conservative when the Amish tell you to loosen up ...

Thanks for posting the article Supes. I thought Schultz was right on the money in this article. Personally I am not about "blame" as much as what Smith himself said about identifying the problems and fixing them. In that tone, Smith did take responsibility, and I hold him responsible, for not having the team ready to play "consistently" this year. As Schultz said, we seemed to lack focus and that "edge" you need to win in the NFL. Those issues have to be the responsibility of the coaching staff IMHO.

I do think we had a weak O-line this season, and neither coordinator was able to adapt during games. Furthermore, I do not think they fully utilized the talent we do have on the team.

But I don't think there is just any one single piece you can just "fix" in these situations in order to improve, and it sounds like TD is planning a major overhaul. Personally that makes me very nervous when I hear him talk about keeping our "core" players. It is harder to really identify those "core" players than it is to spout that at a news conference. After all, we saw our O-line really take a step backward after we let Harvey Dahl go, so obviously TD did not think he was a "core" player either.

It is much easier to call for change than it is to make that change a positive one. Many of us have been screaming for the coordinators to be replaced, and now that has happened. Many of us have criticized players on the team, and now it appears many will be replaced.

Overall we are going to see massive change on this team that many of us have been demanding. Now we better cross our fingers and hope our lucky stars all this change is positive. Personally i am very worried whether we can replace so many pieces and really see improvement. Only time will tell.

BTW for some of you all you can scream for now is for TD and Smith to be replaced. I fully expect to see many of those posts very soon. Be careful what you wish for as you may just get it.

Edited by FalconFanForLife

"Smith Knows Failure Starts With Him"

Wooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!

They really think we are stupid folks.

Very simple question here.

How can Smith look people in the face and say "failure starts with (him)", when...

SOMEBODY ELSE GOT SHOWN THE DOOR FOR IT!!!

WOW!

They have no respect for the intellectual capacity of this fan base and, quite honestly, the fan base is so gullible, I don't know if I blame them.

Edited by Daddy's Home

How is Mike Smith the best HC this team has ever had? He is not even top 3!

How many other coaches have led this team play off victories? Reeves led us to the Super Bowl. You just insulted all of them.

The only HC that got this team over back 2 back winning seasons, only coach to give us back 2 back playoffs appearance, Dan Reeves only got us to the superbowl but that doesn't make him our best coach either.

Smitty should take all of the responsibility. You expect that of a leader. I'm not down on him, tho.

I can't imagine Smitty as our OC, so I place most of the blame on MM's failure to adapt to suit the talent available.

Whats funny is he basically did in the presser today and on many other occasions. Smitty gets it he is in charge and it is up to him to get results. That being said that isn't enough it is now time for him to **** or get off the pot the results from next season should deide his fate with the Falcons either the team makes progress or he should be gone too.

Smitty did the right thing in taking responsibility, I would expect nothing less from the guy running the team. He's done far better than I have expected since coming to the Falcons but at this point we as fans are expecting more than just relevancy. We want postseason success.

Good catch. Perria Jelly has never panned out, injuries aside. He was supposed to be a human wrecking ball. Never happened.

All GM's make mistakes though. TD has made his share.

Its very unusual to see a HC admit his mistakes in public. Very impressed with his humbleness and hunger to keep going. Although I support TD and Smith, the next few moves are very critical. Its not over yet...

I would disagree with Peria Jerry not panning out. Nobody could have predicted the knee injury. That was the prime reason he was picked up which was his quickness off the line. He never got it together after the injury. Who knows maybe next year things will work out?

I would disagree with Peria Jerry not panning out. Nobody could have predicted the knee injury. That was the prime reason he was picked up which was his quickness off the line. He never got it together after the injury. Who knows maybe next year things will work out?

Well we would hope so, certainly. But so far, he's been pretty much a non-factor.

All I know is that Smitty wasn't running that offense, MM was. I can't see a way to blame that on Smith.

He's the head coach and has to be responsible for all aspects of the team to some degree. It's his team and he's in charge, including game planning, scheming, all of it. That's not to say he has to do it all but at the end of the day, it's his baby.