"

They clearly misjudged the overall talent level on defense, as their most effective player is still aging defensive end

John Abraham:

"

Translation: I didn't really watch this team play.

Dismisses Weatherspoon while failing to mention Lofton or Moore... this guy is right about the big picture, but clearly as a poor idea of our overall talent on defense.

Atlanta must continue to help Ryan, and the biggest need is a quick inside receiver who can win against tight, man-to-man coverage when teams pack the middle of the field

hello Harry douglas that's one of his strengths

Edited by setr

Dismisses Weatherspoon while failing to mention Lofton or Moore... this guy is right about the big picture, but clearly as a poor idea of our overall talent on defense.

I don't agree with him. He doesn't think this team is a few pieces away from being a threat to go deep in the playoffs. If we had a better left tackle and right guard, we would be playing this weekend.

I may not know alot about football, but everyone keep writing these articles as if we are down in the dumps when talking about this football team. Last year we didn't questions the oline's play and outside a few folks, we didn't question the play of the QB until that playoff game. I still think you can go out in FA and grab two good olineman because I feel that there play was the weakest link to our team. Behind this line Ryan was able to threw for more than 4000 yards so you really can't sale me on the bs that it's the QB fault or what we gave up in the draft for Julio.

So come March expect a lot of analyst to have us pretty much in thrid place behind the Aints and the Panties. No matter who we obtain as coordinators.

All-in-all, I thought that it was a decent article. I am not a supporter of Lombardi but he pretty much said most of the right things. I do not agree with the Sean Weatherspoon mishap though. Sean is gonna be an f***g beast.

His only fault from what I see is that he overpursues big time and that tends to lead to a big play. That can be fixed fortunately for us and I have no doubts it will be...

Fair analysis, for the most part. Not a big fan of Lombardi, though. And I don't agree with what he said about Spoon. He was one our most consistent players on defense.

But, he was dead-on about Ryan....take away the middle, and he's lost. Don't know what it'll take to change that, either, since we already have Douglas for the slot (duh, he must've forgot about him).

But I think if we can revamp our O-line, and give Matty better protection, he'll be able to find the deeper receivers. Plus, if we get an OC who actually has some "cahonies", and not one that's afraid to take a chance down the field, then maybe they'll turn Ryan loose and let him play his game.

And, I agree we need a LT and a RG, but we also need help in our secondary as well. Robinson was hot garbage, if you ask me, and NOT worth his salary.....Abe is OLD.....Edwards was invisible most of the time.

But, I'm sure TD & Co. see all this, and hopefully they'll make some wise choices in FA, and in the draft this year.

I STILL love my Falcons, and will continue to support them, as long as I see that they're making good decisions, and striving to be a perennial contender each year. And as a "lifer" with this team, the last four years have been the best ones for this organization, BY FAR!!!

GO, YOU DIRTY BIRDS!!!

Atlanta must continue to help Ryan, and the biggest need is a quick inside receiver who can win against tight, man-to-man coverage when teams pack the middle of the field. Building a great receiving corps is like building a basketball team -- everyone has to fulfill different duties. Look at the Saints: They have two point guards in Lance Moore and Darren Sproles, an off guard in Devery Henderson, a small forward in Robert Meachem, a power forward in Marques Colston and a center in Jimmy Graham. All of them provide different skill sets, making coverage nearly impossible. Each week the Saints find their advantage and run the offense through it. Smart football. But the Falcons don't have a versatile group, which significantly limits their offense.

MM didn't know how to do this. He only knew how to run the football. The mere fact that Lombardi doesn't think we have a quick slot receiver shows how under utilized HD has been in this offense. A WR corps of Roddy, Julio, HD, and Tony should be able to rival the Saints bunch with ease. The problem is use of the weapons. When we used HD the on time we did, he went for 100+ yards with ease.

Edited by vel
"

They clearly misjudged the overall talent level on defense, as their most effective player is still aging defensive end

John Abraham:

"

Translation: I didn't really watch this team play.

Ahhhhhhh...

Excuse me?

If Abraham is not our most effective player then who is?

1)You can start by explaining what is more important than pressuring the quarterback.

2) if you dare say Weatherspoon you are way out of your league on this one. There is no way on earth an outside 4-3 linebacker in today's nfl is EVER on the same level of importance as an impactful DE.

EVER!!!!!!

Well I always like to hear what people outside the organization think, and I thought he had some very good points especially about our O-line. But he was obviously clueless about Weatherspoon who was just absolutely great this year. I also think Julio and HD are that receivers who can exploit the middle, but we didn't always utilize them that way.

Edited by FalconFanForLife

I think this is spot on, with the exception of Spoon, and Ryan. Yes, the Saints have Moore, Henderson, Meachem and Colston as WR's (and throw in Graham at TE). We only have White and Jones (throw in Gonzalez for one more year). Mularkey hardly utilized Douglas, so who knows his full potential. Weems should not be an option when we want to go 4 or 5 wide. We don't scare anybody on offense. Hopefully whoever comes in can also utilize our RB's to the best of their ability.

We need to resign Hayden and Sanders and Decoud can take a walk. Grimes will need to be resigned also, but the FO needs to seriously look at our front 4. It will also be interesting to see if they want to become a dominant defense or a bend but don't break defense. Time will tell

Ahhhhhhh...

Excuse me?

1)You can start by explaining what is more important than pressuring the quarterback.

2) if you dare say Weatherspoon you are way out of your league on this one. There is no way on earth an outside 4-3 linebacker in today's nfl is EVER on the same level of importance as an impactful DE.

EVER!!!!!!

If Abraham is, indeed, our most effective defensive player, something's bad wrong.

No, there's nothing more important than pressuring the QB. That being said, Abe didn't do that against competent O-Lines this season. That being the case, I'm not willing, personally, to call Abe, who can pressure and sack the QB against poor O-Lines, but not competent O-Lines, an "impactful DE." So, in my mind, since Abe does not equal an impactful DE, that puts Weatherspoon in the slot of our most effective defensive player. Say what you will about the position he plays in, but it's pretty hard to argue against 115 tackles, 4 sacks, and a fumble recovery.

Edited by bfarmer1980

Ahhhhhhh...

Excuse me?

EVER!!!!!!

Perhaps this is an indicator that Abe is gone... Smith refered to Weatherspoon's youth when talking about him. TD kind of dropped a hint too, when he said, we will look at bringing back about 8 FA's. So more than likley 6 of our FA's are gone. Now the speculation begins.

"Ryan fizzled yet again, continuing a trend of subpar postseason play. The book on Ryan away from the Georgia Dome is simple: Pack the middle of the field and force him to throw the ball outside the numbers (deep outs, comebacks, nine routes). Ryan isn't likely to beat you if you take away inside throws. Although Ryan may not be a top-10 quarterback at this point, the Falcons must continue to build around him because there is no viable alternative."

Ouch. Can't wait to see this new offense. Either a lot of people are going to be wrong about Matt or they are going to be saying I told you so. Lot's of pressure on Smitty, Ryan and the new coordinators.