Change In Dimitroff's Team-Building Philosophy

When Thomas Dimitroff was hired as GM of the Atlanta Falcons, team followers were told that Dimitroff's scouting background instilled in him the belief that building a franchise should be done through the draft. In his first 4 years with the team, we've seen Dimitroff dealing away 2 1sts, 3 2nds and 2 4ths, plus a number of minor draft choices. All of the early picks were made with the idea of building around Matt Ryan, but giving up so many high picks seemed to conflict with Dimitroff's team-building model.

My question is: Did Thomas Dimitroff make the Tony Gonzalez and Julio Jones trades because he saw a window of opportunity for this franchise or did he make the deals in realization that Matt Ryan was not the kind of QB who could make those around him better and would need every playmaker the GM could find in order to succeed? That may sound like the same thing, but it really isn't. Elite QBs win championships on the strength of their arm, nerve and guile. Game managers can win the title if they get the right support structure in place. Did Dimitroff trade for Tony G. and Julio Jones because he realized Matt Ryan could never be elite?

TD's major mistake was building from the outside in. I think Matt's quick release made up for and disguised our OL's weakness. As Turner slows down, and you lose a dimension, those weaknesses show back up, at an exponential rate. I think TD saw some Peyton Manning in Matt Ryan, and tried to get him playmakers a la a Bill Polian, and turned away from his Patriot roots (Who's drafting has been way overrated since TD left). I think he seriously overestimated our OL and we suffered from it.

I think Mike Mularkey is a stubborn control freak who's philosphies clashed with Dimitroff's vision. Add that to the mix and you get what we all saw Sunday.

Well we could say that about Phillip Rivers than because phillip had many targets he could hit. Oh how about Matt Stafford let's take CJ away and see if he can just work with Titus Young and Petigrew.It ain't happening my friend you get the best playmakers available that will make plays when needed and that is what we have forMatt. If Matt is the problem he will be gone and I would not feel bad but while he is here I will support him and TD and Smitty and you should to cause looks like they will be here one more year.

TD's major mistake was building from the outside in. I think Matt's quick release made up for and disguised our OL's weakness. As Turner slows down, and you lose a dimension, those weaknesses show back up, at an exponential rate. I think TD saw some Peyton Manning in Matt Ryan, and tried to get him playmakers a la a Bill Polian, and turned away from his Patriot roots (Who's drafting has been way overrated since TD left). I think he seriously overestimated our OL and we suffered from it.

I think Mike Mularkey is a stubborn control freak who's philosphies clashed with Dimitroff's vision. Add that to the mix and you get what we all saw Sunday.

I fully expect TD to focus almost solely on the offensive and defensive lines this offseason, while maybe getting a new running back if we part ways with Michael Turner. The big key is going to be re-vamping the offensive line to buy time for us to get the ball downfield to Jones/White/Douglas and in seeing how better our players play without being bottled up by Mularkey and Van Gorder's antiquated/vanilla schemes and play calling.

Well we could say that about Phillip Rivers than because phillip had many targets he could hit. Oh how about Matt Stafford let's take CJ away and see if he can just work with Titus Young and Petigrew.It ain't happening my friend you get the best playmakers available that will make plays when needed and that is what we have forMatt. If Matt is the problem he will be gone and I would not feel bad but while he is here I will support him and TD and Smitty and you should to cause looks like they will be here one more year.

Look what Brady did without a WR(he had 2 TE and a slot receiver). Green Bay didn't have to sacrifice picks to surround Aaron Rodgers with talent...Rodgers made them all better. On the other side of the coin, the Saints gave up a ton for Mark Ingram and the offense was better when he was hurt and out of the game.

Spot effing on.

Well if you look back at some of his picks period I'm not convinced he is all the good at picking and sure ain't at picking FA.

Peria Jelly please talk about BAD pick. While I like the Corey Peters pick we could have picked Jimmy Graham who is already a good TE he would have been great replacement for Tony and think what he could have learned from him.. We had DT when we picked Corey of couse one of the was his screw up Jelly.

FA I'll just name two Dunta & Ray enough said. Then while Julio looks good we needed picks and that is evadent even more so now.

Well if you look back at some of his picks period I'm not convinced he is all the good at picking and sure ain't at picking FA.

Peria Jelly please talk about BAD pick. While I like the Corey Peters pick we could have picked Jimmy Graham who is already a good TE he would have been great replacement for Tony and think what he could have learned from him.. We had DT when we picked Corey of couse one of the was his screw up Jelly.

FA I'll just name two Dunta & Ray enough said. Then while Julio looks good we needed picks and that is evadent even more so now.

Imagine if the Patriots had taken Jimmy Graham in Taylor Price's slot.

When Thomas Dimitroff was hired as GM of the Atlanta Falcons, team followers were told that Dimitroff's scouting background instilled in him the belief that building a franchise should be done through the draft. In his first 4 years with the team, we've seen Dimitroff dealing away 2 1sts, 3 2nds and 2 4ths, plus a number of minor draft choices. All of the early picks were made with the idea of building around Matt Ryan, but giving up so many high picks seemed to conflict with Dimitroff's team-building model.

My question is: Did Thomas Dimitroff make the Tony Gonzalez and Julio Jones trades because he saw a window of opportunity for this franchise or did he make the deals in realization that Matt Ryan was not the kind of QB who could make those around him better and would need every playmaker the GM could find in order to succeed? That may sound like the same thing, but it really isn't. Elite QBs win championships on the strength of their arm, nerve and guile. Game managers can win the title if they get the right support structure in place. Did Dimitroff trade for Tony G. and Julio Jones because he realized Matt Ryan could never be elite?

I believe that he made those deals, thinking that the Falcons were close to being able to win a Super Bowl. In hindsite, apparently the club has been much further away than he thought. Now, certain Falcons are starting to get long in the tooth. I think the Falcons best shot was last year. The Falcons may have to think about re-building again, by building around Ryan and Julio Jones on offense and by building around Weatherspoon and Lofton on Defense.

The Falcons have not drafted as well as I had hoped under Dimitroff. I also think that the Falcons coaching staff has continued to fail to get the most out of the talent on the team.

I honestly see this team going backwards. I just hope that they don't try plugging another piece or two, in hopes that they will win a Super Bowl. I think the team is too far away right now for that. I think they can get back to the playoffs, but they still won't be able to beat the elite teams.

Look what Brady did without a WR(he had 2 TE and a slot receiver). Green Bay didn't have to sacrifice picks to surround Aaron Rodgers with talent...Rodgers made them all better. On the other side of the coin, the Saints gave up a ton for Mark Ingram and the offense was better when he was hurt and out of the game.

to be fair, Rodgers came into one of the best situations in the league, that team was loaded with talent and has only gotten better since.

to be fair, Rodgers came into one of the best situations in the league, that team was loaded with talent and has only gotten better since.

Is it really that much talent or has Rodgers made them seem like world beaters? They have little running game to speak of, Look at all the players they had on IR during their Super Bowl run last season.

Is it really that much talent or has Rodgers made them seem like world beaters? They have little running game to speak of, Look at all the players they had on IR during their Super Bowl run last season.

I thought the same thing, until Matt Flynn came in with Jennings on the bench and broke all sorts of Franchise records.

Edited by Aftermath

TD biggest mistake was being exposed as a talent evaluator ..

You can give Matt Ryan greatest oline ever assembled it doesnt matter..He is a game manager that is now playing like a scarred women ..This is the game of football if he cant withstand some hits then he needs to GTFO

every QB gets hit ...he acted like a giel in a playoff game and showed his TRUE COLORS

The whole premise of this thread simply isn't true.

TD has ALWAYS said that he didn't want his organization to be known as one that "built primarily through the draft" or "built primarily through free agency". He's always maintained that smart teams used both the draft and FA to build their teams and that he will do the same.

Agree with everything said

My theory remains that the Julio pick was an Arthur Blank decision. Only a theory but

then TD is merely a lightweight, not a flake. Mr. Blank said the other day that TD and Smitty had come

to him and explained their rationale and he had approved the trade. My gut says he walked

into their giddy draft preperations and said "I want this guy. Go get him." They said "Yes sir!"

This is my theory only but it makes more sense than TD and Smitty departing from the "process".

I know all the picks we gave away are not even made yet but I like the guy we got well enough

to think we can make it work if we use free agency and the picks we still have in the right way.