Hue Jackson Oc & Mel Tucker Dc= Success

Yeah, when the Falcons were easily marching for TD after TD against the Jacksonville defense, I was thinking, "who coordinates this defense? I think we should get that guy!"

Well, Ok, that isn't exactly what I was thinking. I'm not really on board with it.

I would not mind this in the least. Jackson likes to run the ball to set up the play action pass to push the ball down the field, which Mularkey could never figure out for some reason, so you know he'll be a nice fit here and will be a good improvement. That said, Tucker will probably be kept by the Jaguars, plus I don't think we can hire him unless they give him the assistant head coach tag. A more likely situation is if they bring in Del Rio to be the DC. He has a history with Smith, knows the defense Smith wants (2000 Ravens styled defense, since they both were coaches for that team), and is much more experienced than VanGorder was.

Edited by Psychic Gibbon

Yeah, when the Falcons were easily marching for TD after TD against the Jacksonville defense, I was thinking, "who coordinates this defense? I think we should get that guy!"

Well, Ok, that isn't exactly what I was thinking. I'm not really on board with it.

Hmmm... let's compare key defensive rankings in 2011:

Points Per Game

Jacksonville 11th (20.6), Atlanta 18th (21.9)

Total Yards Per Game

Jacksonville 6th (333.6), Atlanta 12th (333.6)

3rd Down Defense %

Jacksonville 15th (36%), Atlanta 29th (44%)

Rush Yards Per Game

Jacksonville 9th (104.2 yards per game), Atlanta 6th (97.2 yards per game)

Rush Yards Per Attempt

Jacksonville 4th (3.8 yards per carry), Atlanta 14th (4.2 yards per carry)

Pass Yards Per Game

Jacksonville 8th (208.8 yards per game), Atlanta 20th (236.6 yards per game)

Pass Yards Per Attempt

Jacksonville t-10th (6.9 yards per attempt), Atlanta t-16th (7.2 yards per attempt)

In summary, Jacksonville's defense was ranked higher than ours in every single category except rush yards per game, but that was only because they were run on more often... their yards per attempt was 0.4 less than ours.

Additionally, their team had THIRTY-ONE players placed on injured reserve this season, including EIGHTEEN defensive players. That includes key starters like DE Aaron Kampman, DE Matt Roth, LB Clint Session and CB Rashean Mathis.

So with a decimated roster that had less overall talent than ours to begin with - combined with an offense that was absolutely atrocious at passing the ball - the Jaguars still fielded a better overall defense than we did in 2011.

Don't look exclusively at what happened when they played us in the Dome near the end of the season... look at their entire season's body of work. **** straight I'd want Mel Tucker to come here and coach our defense if he could accomplish what he did this season in Jacksonville given the adverse situation and overall dearth of talent on both sides of the roster.

I'm a big Hue Jackson fan. He kicked butt as WR coach in Cincy. He did a great job in his one year here, in spite of all of our issues that year. And he did a nice job with the Raiders too(coaching, not the trade for Palmer). I think he is the type of coach who the players will work hard for and best of all he will install an offense that fits our strengths. He likes the vertical passing game complimented by the power running game and every team he's been a part of did those things well.

On defense, we just need someone who can get more out of our secondary. Grimes can cover. Dunta can hit. Moore is a playmaker. These guys need to play to their strengths. I'm not sold on anyone for DC just yet. Smitty has to decide if he is going to bring in another assistant to run his scheme, or someone who will truly own it. I wouldn't rule out one of these 3-4 guys because it is a mistake to think that a great 3-4 DC isn't capable of being a great 4-3 DC. (We don't have the personel to make the switch.)

Hmmm... let's compare key defensive rankings in 2011:

That kind of head to head analysis is pretty misleading.

I mean, the Falcons had to play 7 games against the top 7 offenses in the NFL. That's nearly half their schedule.

Meanwhile, the Jags got a schedule chalked full of offensive suck.

I believe what I can see with my eyes. My eyes told me that I don't want to see that guy running the Falcons defense.

I mean, the Falcons had to play 7 games against the top 7 offenses in the NFL. That's nearly half their schedule.

I believe what I can see with my eyes. My eyes told me that I don't want to see that guy running the Falcons defense.

The Falcons also got to play against T.J. Yates, Blaine Gabbert, Curtis Painter/Dan Orlovsky, an ineffective Josh Freeman, an injured Matt Hasselbeck, and Tavaris Jackson. It's not like we faced a world-beating QB talent week in and week out. We padded our stats against crappy teams and got our butts handed to us by winning teams.

The Falcons also got to play against T.J. Yates, Blaine Gabbert, Curtis Painter/Dan Orlovsky, an ineffective Josh Freeman, an injured Matt Hasselbeck, and Tavaris Jackson. It's not like we faced a world-beating QB talent week in and week out. We padded our stats against crappy teams and got our butts handed to us by winning teams.

The Jags got to play all those guys too except for Jackson. They got to play all the suck offenses on the Falcons schedule, a couple of them twice, plus even more offensive suck with the likes of Cleveland, but didn't have to play at New Orleans, at Detroit, against Green Bay, or against the Philadelphia Eagles.

So yeah...I don't think a head to head comparison of defensive rankings works there.

I'm a big Hue Jackson fan. He kicked butt as WR coach in Cincy. He did a great job in his one year here, in spite of all of our issues that year. And he did a nice job with the Raiders too(coaching, not the trade for Palmer). I think he is the type of coach who the players will work hard for and best of all he will install an offense that fits our strengths. He likes the vertical passing game complimented by the power running game and every team he's been a part of did those things well.

Jackson would be a big mistake IMO. We need someone MUCH more creative on offense. TD didn't trade for JJ to run the super conservative offense (from the 70's to 90's era) that MM (and by default, Smith) like to run. I'm just praying that TD pulls Smith into his office and lays down the law. Luckily, we know who the boss is, and the bosses boss!

We need an offensive guru ("genus' perhaps) to make the best use out of our talent-- which is top notch. Someone like that already has a OC job (or HC) and so isn't going to be accessible by us. TD needs to look for the next up and coming star-- who's learning under a master. Perhaps it's the QB coach at one of our high-powered competitors-- can you say GB, NO or NE??? Perhaps someone from the college ranks? I for one will be happy if I've barely heard of the guy. No retread's allowed!

This is Matt Ryan's weakness. Hue Jackson is a fantastic coach, but his style is not compatible with Matt Ryan's strengths/weaknesses. We need a WCO offensive coordinator knot knamed Knapp.

While I rarely see eye to eye with your views Peyton, you made me LOL with that line. Well played sir. :)