Please Cut The Mularkey!

Hoosier

Look, I'm just as disgusted as all of you. But unlike some, I don't pretend to be a know-it-all or an expert.

I'm neither a know-it-all or an expert. What I am is a fairly intelligent person who has watched and studied football for many years and believe I know enough about the xs and os of the sport to comment. Further, I don't buy into appeal-to-authority fallacies.

I'm not experienced in practicing politics, but I feel capable of intelligently commenting on it. I'm not experienced with in-depth quantum physics, and I don't feel capable of commenting intelligently on it. On requires superior intelligence, one doesn't. Which do you think is closer to play design and play calling in football?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yeah, Joe. They don't wanna think about a lack of talent on the OL. It's too complicated. Easier just to blame the OC.

You do not seem to be putting the ideas together that have been presented here, one of the first things said is that we do not have the OL to play the type of power ball that MM wants to play. You have to have an OL that creates holes, moves the DL back, thats power football.

If we had an OC that could adapt to our current talent, you play with a more open offense. You let the DL run thru the OL, then counter with a screen pass or some form there of. Then once you have success with this other things that open up the offense, defensive players tend to hang back, then Ryan hase more time to look down field and more holes open up for the run.

There are many ways to win and utilize the OL we have, but MM does not have the gray matter to implement them, I'm sorry to say. Look at what the Saints do, they open thier offense up and always keep the defenses guessing. It was not that long ago that they had a very suspect OL, but you would not know it now.

You want a WCO, big fella? Well good, start a petition. What we want and what we think makes no difference,......none whatsoever.

MM is either likely gonna be fired or take another job elsewhere. Completely out of my control, and yours. What's gonna happen next? Who knows.......?

Serious man and I'm sorry to say that the defense needs work too. I like BvG in all actuality because I know what he's capable of, but does he have as much control over the defense as we would like to believe?

You want a WCO, big fella? Well good, start a petition. What we want and what we think makes no difference,......none whatsoever.

MM is either likely gonna be fired or take another job elsewhere. Completely out of my control, and yours. What's gonna happen next? Who knows.......?

I was hoping you were not completely stupid. I suippose I'll have to learn to live with disappointment.

Do you know what the purpose of a fan-forum is? Do you have the slightest clue? Please stop: you'll hurt yourself trying to think of the answer, so I'll tell you. The purpose of a fan-forum board is to share opinions, views, and ideas. We are not here to effect actual change.

THAT

IS

NOT

WHAT

THE

FORUMS

ARE

FOR!!!

We are here to express views with other people. OF COURSE our opinions are not going to be the catalyst for changes in the Falcon's front office.

By the way: since you seem to have missed it whilst wallowing in self-loathing and perceived impotence, I do happen to be right about a WCO being more suited to this team's roster now and for the near future.

My biggest problem with Mularkey is the OC is in charge of designing plays to the players he has and make them better. If he does not have the players he needs then he has the option to adapt his plays or ask for other players. Well we all know getting the players you want wont always be an option. So guess what that tells you then the plays will need to be built around the players. Other team do it and it makes them better. Mularkey does not he keeps the same basic style. I just have not seen these changes in plays that would tell me Mularkey is moving in the direction this team needs.

I'm sorry but players like Tony Gonzales, Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Roddy White, Tyson Clabo, and Ovie Mughelli are not average.

We need a stronger and better OL, then someone that knows how to use the weapons mentioned above.

Well we all know that Ovie has not played since his injury weeks ago, but the rest of the aforementioned looked pretty average today. Roddy White? How many balls did he drop today, and how many this season? I believe he leads the league.

I was hoping you were not completely stupid. I suippose I'll have to learn to live with disappointment.

Do you know what the purpose of a fan-forum is? Do you have the slightest clue? Please stop: you'll hurt yourself trying to think of the answer, so I'll tell you. The purpose of a fan-forum board is to share opinions, views, and ideas. We are not here to effect actual change.

THAT

IS

NOT

WHAT

THE

FORUMS

ARE

FOR!!!

We are here to express views with other people. OF COURSE our opinions are not going to be the catalyst for changes in the Falcon's front office.

By the way: since you seem to have missed it whilst wallowing in self-loathing and perceived impotence, I do happen to be right about a WCO being more suited to this team's roster now and for the near future.

Ah geez, you wanna get nasty now? I'm just expressing my opinions too, which, BTW, are just as viable as yours.

I dunno about that. Still have some weaknesses that can be fixed.

Oh, this is true. They do need help on D I cant stand how soft they play.

They would have been good enough to win, if the O could have put some points on the board. I am sorry but the Giants will get torched next week just watch. That D they have is good not great.

The O lost this game.

Edited by high impact

Well we all know that Ovie has not played since his injury weeks ago, but the rest of the aforementioned looked pretty average today. Roddy White? How many balls did he drop today, and how many this season? I believe he leads the league.

When above average players look average, isn't it possible the OC is partly to blame?

Tonight on this board I've called out Roddy and the OL. I've many times called out Ryan and his preponderance for bailing out of, instead of stepping up in, the pocket.

Why can't you similarly say that Mularkey has not maximized his talents? Do you really, in your heart-of-hearts, think that he has gotten the most out of the talent on this team? If so, then we are in a worse state of affairs than I thought. It means we need to replace just about every offensive starter on the team.

Edited by The Monarch

What about defense?

Defense has a good LB core, but lacks an anchor on the DL and another consistent pass rusher on the other side of Abraham. Would love to draft Curry as that player.

Our secondary has players in Moore, Grimes, Franks. Owens isn't that bad as an outside CB but we lack real center field rangey FS. DeCoud is inconsistent. Robinson and like other CBs on the roster, are not in a scheme that suits them.

We definitely have some talent, but BVG doesn't have the amount of talent MM had.

I agree Roddy played average today but overall when he is put in a good position he will do well. His drops are his only negative. Even if he had caught some of those passes today, it doesn't change the poor game plan.

How many comeback routes and curls do we have to run. Every pass looked like a dump off because MM doubted the teams ability to go deep and he doubted we could protect Ryan long enough for certain deep routes to develop. Our play calls were far from explosive.

Mularkey aside, here's what I think: We need help in the trenches on both sides of the ball, mainly on the O. We need hosses in the ditches,... a flexible O line and a D line with a viable pass rush. That's what I think we need more than anything.

I agree with you here for sure. Our line gets no push and it collapses fairly quick. Rarely have I ever seen Ryan able to step into the pocket and set his feet then deliver. We need stonewalls in the interior and athletic but sturdy tackles. OC, LT, and RG can be upgraded big time.

On the DLine, we lack a LE that can generate a consistent pass rush and we lack an anchor.

Defense has a good LB core, but lacks an anchor on the DL and another consistent pass rusher on the other side of Abraham. Would love to draft Curry as that player.

Our secondary has players in Moore, Grimes, Franks. Owens isn't that bad as an outside CB but we lack real center field rangey FS. DeCoud is inconsistent. Robinson and like other CBs on the roster, are not in a scheme that suits them.

We definitely have some talent, but BVG doesn't have the amount of talent MM had.

Mike Williams may be expendable after this season.

I agree with you here for sure. Our line gets no push and it collapses fairly quick. Rarely have I ever seen Ryan able to step into the pocket and set his feet then deliver. We need stonewalls in the interior and athletic but sturdy tackles. OC, LT, and RG can be upgraded big time.

On the DLine, we lack a LE that can generate a consistent pass rush and we lack an anchor.

Exactly. Ryan needs adequate time and I think it's obvious that he's not the most mobile QB in the league. He throws poorly on the run and is a rhythm style pocket QB. I think his play-action is amongst the best, but he needs more help.

The D-line needs help too. God help us all! cool.png

Mularkey aside, here's what I think: We need help in the trenches on both sides of the ball, mainly on the O. We need hosses in the ditches,... a flexible O line and a D line with a viable pass rush. That's what I think we need more than anything.

I think TD makes Nicks and Grubbs priority #1 in the offseason. I don't see LT being solved until 2013 unfortunately unless we find a mid round gem. Then I see DE and DT being the best draft need in my opinion. We need a better DLine for the defense to work. Maybe a FS but I don't know. The secondary was good until they got tired.

I won't leave Mularkey aside, because IMHO, he's the bulk of the problem. But everything you said is correct. Our lines have been neglected, and ironically by a head coach who told us he wanted to be strong up the middle on both sides of the ball. We're pretty far from that right now, and while I'm convinced we have to have a better OC, you're right that the best OC in the league won't fix that problem. On both sides of the ball, I see the interior lines being our biggest issues by far.

I won't leave Mularkey aside, because IMHO, he's the bulk of the problem. But everything you said is correct. Our lines have been neglected, and ironically by a head coach who told us he wanted to be strong up the middle on both sides of the ball. We're pretty far from that right now, and while I'm convinced we have to have a better OC, you're right that the best OC in the league won't fix that problem. On both sides of the ball, I see the interior lines being our biggest issues by far.

Strong up the middle. Didn't work on "D" at all.