This Article, As Well As Espn, Disgusts Me

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Negatorris

Y'all did do well when you had Vick. Y'all bandwagon was full. But the first yr of Matt Ryan no fans showed up. There were still more Vick jerseys then Ryan. We still see a split in your fans about Vick or Ryan!

No you don't. -__-

Rob Parker coming on Two Live Stews on 790 AM in 5 minutes for those who care to listen to this fool

That will be a gathering of stupid that should exceed Federally Regulated Allowances.

Guest Negatorris

This whole post backs up every single thing this dude wrote in his article.

Parker clowned Atlanta hard, and here you are proving him right.

I say it's about **** time someone start calling this wannabe city out. David Justice did it nearly 2 decades ago. The Braves were about to win the freaking World Series for god's sake and Justice commented about how quiet and uncaring Braves fans were.

This city is lame when it comes to sports. The only thing that makes this dude a moron is the fact that he started making fun of people from the south, but it certainly doesn't discount anything he said about fan support for professional sports teams, it just makes him come off as amateurish and lazy. Kind of like Atlanta sports fans.

More people should bury this city's fans, maybe it will piss them off enough to start caring.

Sorry that 80% of our fanbase isn't full of bandwagoners who don't even know their previous two starting QBs without Googling it.

Great counter article at Talking Chop. Here's an excerpt.

City of New York Deserves Better Sports Writing

"He lists the Falcons home attendance as 15th in the league, but fails to mention the percentage of their home attendance (96.8) was higher than his New York Giants (96.3) or the New York Jets (95.7). You ignorant freaking idiot! The Falcons do a better job of selling out their stadium than either of your precious New York teams. The Braves drew more fans last year than your pitiful Mets.

So Atlanta is the worst sports town in America, eh? Well it's pretty clear that ESPN New York has the worst sports writers in America."

You guys on here are crazy for disagreeing with this article. I have been an Atlanta fan my whole life - 37 years. I have gone to every game this city has to offer and this guy is dead on. Since this is the Falcons Forum - I'll discuss the Falcons in general.

We have the WORST fans in the NFL. We have a team who has 4 consecutive winning seasons - more than we have EVER seen in our history - and we are not selling out. I have witnessed so many stupid things over the course of my lifetime watching Falcons live - but just this year - here are a couple.

New Orleanes game - when we didn't convert a 3rd down near the end of the game - and we were down by 10 - fans starting filing out of the dome. They didn't bother to stay and watch the conversion where we kept the drive alive - or the score where we got within 3 points. Then - we did an onsides kick - which we did not recover. There goes another 1/2 of the dome attendees. We end up stopping NO and had a thrilling finish - yet over 1/2 of the dome was empty. Let's not even talk about all the WHO DAT'S we heard because our fans sold their tickets to the game and didn't bother to even show.

We don't make noise - we don't help our defense a lick - heck I have NO idea how our record is so good at home since we really don't have a 12th man. I have been a season ticket holder for 15 years - and while I would say there has been a couple of good seasons for our fans - it has mostly been horrible.

Go to Braves games - no one there. Go to Hawks games - 2/3 filled. It is an embarrassment - and although I will always stay a hard core Atlanta sports fan - and go to every venue to watch and support each team - I cannot say the same for my brethren.

To call this guy racists is a joke. I'm white - and he is DEAD ON in his assessment of our horrible, horrible fans.

Section 235 - 15 years

He isn't wrong, the city of Atlanta sucks as a fan base, from the people I meet at the games it seems like most Falcons fans don't even live in Atlanta. Small minded on his part to limit the fan base of the franchise to its home city, Atlanta might not provide a good fan base but GA sure does. If the GA dome were some else in GA besides Atlanta, or even on the periphery, I think many more people would go to the games. At the very least it would get rid of the khaki pants & suit wearing crowd that goes to a game so that they can talk on their phone. Atlanta is just a ****** city to have a sports franchise.

Atlanta doesnt have a winning reputation that other sports franchises have so we havent been as into our teams in previous years. I was raised a Falcon outside of Atlanta, 3 hours south actually, and my whole family is a fan. Its not that the fan base sucks, its that we havent had a reason to pull for our team like say the Steelers, who have multiple championships. And you're probably right, no other city has khaki wearing fans who own cell phones. Everyone, everywhere talks on their cell phones. In a different "classy" sports arena, those rabid fans just talk on their phones during the National Anthem instead, which is so much better.

I don't have time to read through this whole thing. So I'll just leave this link and remind everyone that Atlanta isn't a bad sports city, it's just a bad pro sports city. Atlanta is the best college football city on earth.

Falcons Vs. Giants: City Of Atlanta Doesn't Deserve Win, Says New York Columnist

laugh.png

"Worse is the lack of passion the fans showed after an epic Braves collapse this season. Looking like a shoo-in most of the season, the Braves, who were 8½ games up in the National League wild-card race to start September, gave up their postseason spot on the last night of the season. The Braves went 9-18 in the final month, including a five-game losing streak to end the season. It allowed the St. Louis

Cardinals to get in instead en route to winning the World Series.

Numbers! Kinda feel like baseball is the only sport Mr. Parker follows, yes? Braves fans seemed mad at Braves blog Talking Chop, the Web's biggest single-team baseball blog. It's read exclusively by New York Jets fans."

Edited by The Monarch

You guys on here are crazy for disagreeing with this article. I have been an Atlanta fan my whole life - 37 years. I have gone to every game this city has to offer and this guy is dead on. Since this is the Falcons Forum - I'll discuss the Falcons in general.

We have the WORST fans in the NFL. We have a team who has 4 consecutive winning seasons - more than we have EVER seen in our history - and we are not selling out. I have witnessed so many stupid things over the course of my lifetime watching Falcons live - but just this year - here are a couple.

New Orleanes game - when we didn't convert a 3rd down near the end of the game - and we were down by 10 - fans starting filing out of the dome. They didn't bother to stay and watch the conversion where we kept the drive alive - or the score where we got within 3 points. Then - we did an onsides kick - which we did not recover. There goes another 1/2 of the dome attendees. We end up stopping NO and had a thrilling finish - yet over 1/2 of the dome was empty. Let's not even talk about all the WHO DAT'S we heard because our fans sold their tickets to the game and didn't bother to even show.

We don't make noise - we don't help our defense a lick - heck I have NO idea how our record is so good at home since we really don't have a 12th man. I have been a season ticket holder for 15 years - and while I would say there has been a couple of good seasons for our fans - it has mostly been horrible.

Go to Braves games - no one there. Go to Hawks games - 2/3 filled. It is an embarrassment - and although I will always stay a hard core Atlanta sports fan - and go to every venue to watch and support each team - I cannot say the same for my brethren.

To call this guy racists is a joke. I'm white - and he is DEAD ON in his assessment of our horrible, horrible fans.

Section 235 - 15 years

You are right, there are some horrible fans in Atlanta. But the first problem with Parker's article is that YOU are one of those horrible fans. EVERY fan in Atlanta is a horrible fan who is out picking peaches on Sunday afternoons, forgetting that the team is playing. His generalizations included everyone, from the person who buys 20 seats a year for every year the Falcons have been in Atlanta & goes to every road game along with spending thousands extra in merchandise each year to the apathetic fan who, if they buy a single game ticket, shows up in the middle of the 2nd quarter & leaves in the middle of the 4th.

Second, facts are just not Parker's strong point. He's fabricated stories, and been fired for doing so in the past (look up his history with respect to Kirk Cousins). In this story, he fails to mention that the Falcons sold a higher percentage of their seats than either the Giants or the Jets did. If our fanbase is the bottom of the barrel, then the Giants & Jets didn't even make it into the barrel. Here's a link to back that up. http://espn.go.com/n.../_/sort/homePct Atlanta was 17th in percentage of seats filled this year, the Giants were 20th and the Jets were 21st with a lot more people within easy commute range of the game.

Third, a lot of people in and around Atlanta just won't spend their money on a product if the ownership isn't willing to spend money to put a quality product on the field (Braves, Hawks, Thrashers), and honestly can you blame most people, especially in this economy. Some people have to make a choice between feeding their family or buying a ticket to a game. Others have to choose 1 sport to go watch over the other 3. Not everyone is as lucky as you to be able to afford to go see every team all year long regardless of how much the organization cares about putting quality players on the roster.

The "Controversies" section of Rob Parker's Wiki is hilarious. SIAP

Controversies

On March 28, 2008, Parker declared on ESPN's First Take that he had low expectations for college players Tyler Hansbrough and Kevin Love in the NBA, because they are white.[1]

Parker, who is African American, is not shy to discuss the racial aspects of current sports events, such as the NBA off-court dress policy, or the lack of African Americans in NFL coaching positions. He penned a much-maligned column where he called Hank Aaron a "coward" for declining to attend when Barry Bonds would break the career home run record.

In October 2008, Parker erroneously reported that Kirk Cousins, a quarterback for the Michigan State Spartans, was involved in a fight with members of the Michigan State hockey team. At the time of the fight, Cousins was at church with his parents. After being publicly reproved by head coach Mark Dantonio at his weekly news conference, Parker was suspended by The Detroit News for two weeks.[2]

On December 21, 2008, at a press conference following the Lions' 42-7 loss to the New Orleans Saints, Parker addressed a question Lions head coach Rod Marinelli about Lions defensive coordinator Joe Barry, Marinelli's son-in-law, inquiring whether Marinelli wished that his daughter had "married a better defensive coordinator."[3] The question was criticized as unprofessional and inappropriate. The next day, Parker wrote that the comment was "an attempt at humor" and not a malicious attack.[4] Parker wrote no further columns forThe Detroit News, nor did he attend any press conferences, following the incident. On January 6, 2009, The Detroit News announced that Parker had resigned from the newspaper the previous week.[5]

I'll grant the writer of this ESPN tripe this- perhaps we are a tepid fan base compared to Green Bay, the Steelers, heck...even the Saints at this point, but his Op-Ed is just another proof of the lazy and vapid lack of journalistic integrity running rampant at ESPN. There are some exceptions, but for the most part ESPN just churns out partially-digested ephemera concerning this or that Team or Scandal Du Jour. I rarely tune into them because the programming is usually just a ceaseless loop of loudmouth chumps fighting to eat each others' vomit and then in turn, jockeying to vomit out the digested vomit with greater force and volume. In short, ESPN bunch of feces/vomit eating cretins. Why wouldn't they commission this hack to write his stereo-type laden drivel? It obviously touches a nerve...not only because his article is completely devoid of any dignity, but because it's so poorly written and attempts to masquerade as provocative humor with these bits about peach-picking and barbecue. This castrated fool, his cliched attempts at wit, and ESPN annoy me.

Jets/Giants have less tickets sold(in a larger city AND a larger stadium), than the Falcons in the last few years. -__-

Do the people actually buy the tickets their or do big corporations and scalpers buy up the tickets like they do here.