2009 28

2010 22

2011 20

Here is the Run Defense Ranking

2008 25

2009 10

2010 10

2011 6

I would love to see a top 10 Pass Defense from us but; the talent level for coverage and rushing has not been there. Our Pass defense has improved under BVG but; work can be done. The Run D has helped but; we are going up against pass happy teams and need more ammo.

If he hasn't proven himself in four seasons; then one game is not going to do it. A single game does not make or break someone. That is crazy! BVG has proven himself every single season he has been here. For what he has to work with on defense, I feel he has done a decent job. I see no reason to bring someone else in and completely revamp the defense. We will still have pretty much the same starters.

The problem I have with BVG is that every year we hear the coaches talk about getting off the field on 3rd down. Well every year we are in the bottom half of the league in 3rd down defense. Now if thats a 4 year trend then there has to be something wrong with the scheme IMO. I like BVG but this soft zone on 3rd down is killing us.

There is a trend in the D.

For the last 4 years the stats for Total Defense YPG for each season ranking

2008 24

2009 21

2010 16

2011 12

Here is the Pass Defense ranking

2008 21

2009 28

2010 22

2011 20

Here is the Run Defense Ranking

2008 25

2009 10

2010 10

2011 6

I would love to see a top 10 Pass Defense from us but; the talent level for coverage and rushing has not been there. Our Pass defense has improved under BVG but; work can be done. The Run D has helped but; we are going up against pass happy teams and need more ammo.

nice to know you decided that he can keep his job , can you tell us who else will be back next year

its hard to have a top 10 passing defense when you play the saints twice a year.

Defense is overrated right now in the NFL. Of the top 10 passing D's in the league right now 8 of them are in the AFC. Of the top 10 6 had losing records. The other 4 made the playoffs.

Of the bottom 10 pass defenses: 8 are in the NFC. 4 made the playoffs including the top seeds in both conferences and 6 had losing records.

weird how that works out.

Edited by Jesus

The problem I have with BVG is that every year we hear the coaches talk about getting off the field on 3rd down. Well every year we are in the bottom half of the league in 3rd down defense. Now if thats a 4 year trend then there has to be something wrong with the scheme IMO. I like BVG but this soft zone on 3rd down is killing us.

Here what he said captures my opinion totally. Like MM, my biggest complaint is toooooo predictable on 3rd down.

I wanna wait and see how this first PO game goes........

Exactly.

If the defense has another game like the Saints game or Green Bay playoff game.... trust me. Something will have to change and it's not going to be Mike Smith.

This team still has to sell tickets and you need to sell the fanbase something.

BVG will be the scapegoat.

I personally do not want to see BVG back. Yes the over all defense in terms of yard allowed has improved. Its the situational football calls and ajustments(lack there of) that bothers me. How man times have we seen 3 and forever converted with ease, WRs riunning through our secondary un checked, Our CBs 6-8 yards off the ball sometimes regardless of the down and distance. I have see our CBs line up 7 yards off the ball on 3 and 2! Then there is "in game adjustments", or lack there of. Much like MM, BVG is awful with in game adjustments, its like if plan A doesnt go well, we are done...cause there is no effective plan B or C. Its time to move on with our OC and DC. With any luck MM gets the Jags job and BVG gets fired. Lets go after the Steve Spags, or some other proven DC for next year.