Pressure On Matt Ryan To Win

fansince78

The pressure is on Matt this Sunday. Can you imagine having the reputation of not being able to win a playoff game (as so many NFL analysts like to point out) in spite of being considered a pretty darn good quarterback? Even among this fanbase, there are some who think he is not capable of winning the big games. Three strikes in football don't mean you are out, but I would hate to be him if the Falcons don't get that elusive playoff win this Sunday.

I hate this rep that Matt Ryan has received. It's not like the playoffs are something that happen multiple times a year. No it's not like scrub teams make it to the playoffs every single time. And it's not like we've faced any scrubs in the playoffs. Yet people in the football world did just like they did with Aaron Rodgers "oh he can't win in the playoffs."

Like how do you know has it been 5 times now that he's blown it? Honestly has it really even been 1 time that Matt Ryan lost a playoff game for his team?

I know it's not you who's saying it, and that it's the media. But Come on seriously they need to lay off.

I hate this rep that Matt Ryan has received. It's not like the playoffs are something that happen multiple times a year. No it's not like scrub teams make it to the playoffs every single time. And it's not like we've faced any scrubs in the playoffs. Yet people in the football world did just like they did with Aaron Rodgers "oh he can't win in the playoffs."

Like how do you know has it been 5 times now that he's blown it? Honestly has it really even been 1 time that Matt Ryan lost a playoff game for his team?

I know it's not you who's saying it, and that it's the media. But Come on seriously they need to lay off.

I am just trying to get an understanding of the kind of thing that is going through our quarterback's mind this week.

I just hope Matt doesn't put too much pressure on himself to the point where he goes out there on Sunday and try to force the issue. We just need the same calm Matty Ice we have seen the last quarter of the season and we will be fine...nothing more, nothing less.

http://nbcsports.msn...0754/ns/sports/

Matty Ice ... or Matty nice try (again)?

The nickname “Matty Ice” suggests someone with frigid waters flowing through his circulatory system, a reference to his ability to remain cool under fire. But it can also refer to someone frozen in time, immobile, trapped in a glacier like some creature in the Arctic Circle from some science fiction movie.

Which will it be, Matt Ryan?

Since he came into the NFL out of Boston College as the No. 3 pick overall in 2008, the Atlanta Falcons’ quarterback has lived with high expectations. He was the strong-armed kid who was supposed to help clean up the Michael Vick mess by leading Arthur Blank’s franchise in a new and positive direction.

He’s done well. But he hasn’t won a playoff game.

That could change Sunday, when the Falcons travel north to face the New York Giants. The fifth-seeded Falcons have won three of their last four, but those victories came against Carolina, Jacksonville and Tampa Bay, who are a combined 15-33. Against the one elite club in that stretch –- the New Orleans Saints -– they were torched 45-16.

The fourth-seeded Giants also come into this match having won three of four. But the three wins -- directed by Eli Manning, who not only has won playoff games, but also a Super Bowl – came against Dallas twice and the Jets once, all clutch, must-win games.

Matty Ice will have the added challenge of playing outdoors at MetLife Stadium instead of a dome. The temperature is supposed to be mild, but there is always that infamous wind.

This would be the ideal scenario for Ryan to break his maiden, as they say in the thoroughbred world. Big game versus the Giants, in the media capital of the world, against a Manning, in front of a hostile crowd and possibly adverse throwing conditions, and facing one of the fiercest pass rushes in the game.

The Iceman cometh to New York. The question is, which one? Icy cool, or cold as a playoff cadaver -– again?

Edited by mountain_jim3

I think he's going to play a helluva game.

That's what I expect to see.

Agreed, he is going to have a good game against the Giants on Sunday! I expect him to play well and produce good stats.

He is dialed in right now and I know competitors like to disguise all their defensive calls before the snap, but Ryan ain't no rookie anymore. All the "panic-ed" anxious fans need to relax right now. There's no need to get spun up on a Tuesday afternoon for heaven's sake...

Peyton didn't win until his 5th year.

I agree that Matt has a lot of pressure, but with that OL and our D's tendency to shart the bed, I can't pin it on him.

Manning also lost his first 3 playoff games, throwing for an average 47.6% completion rate with 1 TD and 2 INT. Guess he was a bust up until year 5, huh?biggrin.png

Matt Ryan is the least of my concerns going into this game...

My real concerns:

1. Can we pressure and sack Manning?
  2. Can our OL open some holes for Turner and protect Ryan?
  3. Will DeCoud get burned deep more than once?
  4. Can Roddy catch the cathable balls?
  5. Will MM turn over the play-calling exclusively to Ryan?
  6. Will BVG get stuck in the hotel elevator for 3-4 hours?
  7. If we leading in the 4th quarter can our coaches and players close it out?

Peyton was 0-3 before he won his first playoff game. Some of our fans make too much out of this situation. It's only year 4 in his early career. He's had a better 1st 4 than all the top qb's except Brady. He's done things NO Falcon qb has done EVER!!! I want it now like everybody else but I also understand that it takes time and experience. This is a team that's gonna be relevant in the playoffs for many years to come. WE WILL WIN A SB WITH THIS QB!!! I said 5 years when we drafted him and he's gettin there.

Whats funny is... they created this fake pressure for Ryan and the falcons based off what??? It wasnt like Ryan took over the pats after Brady retired. The falcons where a crashed and burned franchise with 1 toe sticking out the grave.

But because they exceeded those expectations, they are held to the same standard as elite teams. Funny had Ryan and the falcons tanks the first 3 years people would be jumping for joy just make make the playoffs.

The pressure is on Matt this Sunday. Can you imagine having the reputation of not being able to win a playoff game (as so many NFL analysts like to point out) in spite of being considered a pretty darn good quarterback? Even among this fanbase, there are some who think he is not capable of winning the big games. Three strikes in football don't mean you are out, but I would hate to be him if the Falcons don't get that elusive playoff win this Sunday.

The pressure is not on Ryan. It's on the coaching staff and the team as a whole.

LOL, Peyton Manning compared to Matt Ryan. Peyton issue is he's not a big game player. He's elite. He can do it all in terms of passing. He can put a team on his back. Ryan can't, he's Pennington. His issue is more than winning. Even when Manning wasn't winning, people still viewed him as elite as his numbers say the same.

I don't think Ryan needs to win this game for rep, he is what he is, he needs to do his part so Atlanta can go to the 2nd round.

Whats funny is... they created this fake pressure for Ryan and the falcons based off what??? It wasnt like Ryan took over the pats after Brady retired. The falcons where a crashed and burned franchise with 1 toe sticking out the grave.

But because they exceeded those expectations, they are held to the same standard as elite teams. Funny had Ryan and the falcons tanks the first 3 years people would be jumping for joy just make make the playoffs.

some of us feel like its put up or shut up until next year.

i appreciate the relative success of the recent years but imo i think its time we get it done against the big time. if we dont win, and ryan goes 0-3, i wont write him off and label him as a qb that couldnt win a playoff game. ill wait until he retires to make that call.

Do you guys really think that Matt wakes up each morning thinking "Peyton lost his first three playoff games, so there is no pressure"?

laugh.png Course not. We all know Matt wants this one BAD. But I agree with everyone else: don't let that get into your head; just go and be the QB you've been since the bye.

Easier said than done, obviously. As far back as college, Matt has had a tendency to "force the issue" in big games. But he's been maturing, so I hope to see that trend end Sunday!

LOL, Peyton Manning compared to Matt Ryan. Peyton issue is he's not a big game player. He's elite. He can do it all in terms of passing. He can put a team on his back. Ryan can't, he's Pennington. His issue is more than winning. Even when Manning wasn't winning, people still viewed him as elite as his numbers say the same.

I don't think Ryan needs to win this game for rep, he is what he is, he needs to do his part so Atlanta can go to the 2nd round.

Matts numbers are better than Peytons in his first 4 years in the NFL, along with the stigma of he couldn't win the big game AND 0-3 in the playoffs before his first win AND a coach killer. PLAYOFFS?? PLAYOFFS?? DON'T TALK ABOUT PLAYOFFS!!

Ryan has put the game on his shoulders a FEW times since he's been here. He's already had some big come back games in his young career and he's **** SURE better than Pennington lol.

Meh, Peyton is a choker who managed to hold it all together one time when it mattered. Brady is the real class of QBs.