I Think We All Agree That Changes Need To Be Made....

norbendon

I, along with many others, have called for the firing of Mularkey and BVG. I'm convinced that even though they've been instrumental in getting us to where we are, that they don't have what it takes to get us over the hump.

However, let's say we fire them at season's end. Who replaces them? There's a good chance that who we get might be worse or just more of the same. There are only a handful of truly great coordinators in this league and it might be wise to hold on to one or more of these guys until a sure upgrade is found.

All I'm saying is that let's hope the front office makes intelligent decisions on changes that are necessary and not like the mob mentality we've all been a part of the last few days.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are fired, there is no rush to hire Coordinators right away. Wait and see who gets fired from other teams and make sure you hire guys who are agressive on both sides of the ball and has a reputation of putting players in the right positions and getting the best results. We don't need to play anymore soft, zone defenses and Ryan needs an OC that will make him throw the ball over 15 yds and stop the dink and dunk ********.

unfortunately Bratkowski would likely be MM's replacement and he isn't much of an upgrade at all.

That's the kind of thing I'm afraid of.

If they are fired, there is no rush to hire Coordinators right away. Wait and see who gets fired from other teams and make sure you hire guys who are agressive on both sides of the ball and has a reputation of putting players in the right positions and getting the best results. We don't need to play anymore soft, zone defenses and Ryan needs an OC that will make him throw the ball over 15 yds and stop the dink and dunk ********.

Who's to say that out of who's available that the people interested in this job will actually be an upgrade. I've heard a lot of people mention Norv Turner for example, but I feel he'll be more of the same. His offensive philoshphies were great in the 90's (oddly similar to MM), but not in line with what's successful today.

My feeling is that if our FO felt that we simply should be playing more press coverage, or throwing more screens, etc.- Smitty could just direct MM to call more screens, or BVG to call more man to man.

I think our coordinators have to work within the limitation of our talent. We need better pass protection to throw more successfully. We need better coverage to blitz, and better pressure from our front four to pressure without blitzing. We need our recievers to catch the ball, our guys to stop with the penalties...

Imagine that you are our OC. You see Ryan getting clobbered so you naturally call plays that provide extra protection and quick reads. The fans want you to be more aggressive and the ironic part is you'd like to be more aggressive yourself. But you are working with the talent you have.

Imagine you are our DC. You see Brees picking apart zone defenses at will. You know you have to play man to man in order to have a chance at slowing him down. But you have Dunta, Franks, and Owens as your starters at CB. They can not cover Colston, Moore, Henderson, Sproles, and Graham man to man.

The point is that its easy to throw blame around, but utlitmately you have to work with what you have. We should always take advantage of any chance to improve our team. But I haven't seen any OC/DC candidates out there that are gonna do that.

My feeling is that if our FO felt that we simply should be playing more press coverage, or throwing more screens, etc.- Smitty could just direct MM to call more screens, or BVG to call more man to man.

I think our coordinators have to work within the limitation of our talent. We need better pass protection to throw more successfully. We need better coverage to blitz, and better pressure from our front four to pressure without blitzing. We need our recievers to catch the ball, our guys to stop with the penalties...

Imagine that you are our OC. You see Ryan getting clobbered so you naturally call plays that provide extra protection and quick reads. The fans want you to be more aggressive and the ironic part is you'd like to be more aggressive yourself. But you are working with the talent you have.

Imagine you are our DC. You see Brees picking apart zone defenses at will. You know you have to play man to man in order to have a chance at slowing him down. But you have Dunta, Franks, and Owens as your starters at CB. They can not cover Colston, Moore, Henderson, Sproles, and Graham man to man.

The point is that its easy to throw blame around, but utlitmately you have to work with what you have. We should always take advantage of any chance to improve our team. But I haven't seen any OC/DC candidates out there that are gonna do that.

EXACTLY! The Saints showed what happens when you have the RIGHT talent at the RIGHT time...We have NO, and I mean ZERO talent in our secondary, and offenses can have their way, as shown in the 3rd down situations that the Saints handled SO easily...THAT'S how you win a game........

Very good points.

I can agree with the coverage points you make to an extent. It has been my impression that Dunta excelled before coming here as a man corner and is having to play against his strengths in our system. I often wonder if one of the reasons we stay in our zone looks is because our best cover guy (Grimes) lacks the physical ability to play the bump and run required in man to man coverage.

That theory may work in THEORY but the fact is, theres been times when we flat out dominate those high power offenses (like last years saints game, or even earlier game this year) with good defensive playcalling, then we just totally drop the ball in a game like this weeks. Like the Packers game for example; we owned them in the first half, then the 2nd half we made no adjustments, and they owned us. How did we beat the packers last year before the playoff game if our players are so horrible? We have the players, if they were used right they would be fine. Look at all of our former players in the past 2-3 years, like Chris Houston, having an almost probowl year in DET now that he has a coordinator who isn't braindead.

Point is, when you have games where you are doing great one half and doing horrible the 2nd half (Carolina game, Packers game, Saints game, im sure theres MANY more) - and having specific portions of the game where you are REALLY bad (third quarter) - that leads SOLELY to bad coaching. No adjustments are ever made by our team, while other teams figure out how predictable we are and they adjust to dominate us in the 2nd half. It always happens like this.

Its not the players at all; if we had Sean Payton (who's defense has literally no names, yet with a competent DC they are much better than us despite having 4-5 allstars) or Belichek, we would win the superbowl for sure. Its all coaching.

You can't blitz and play zone. Whats the point in blitzing. If you can't play man to man for 2-3 seconds while blitzing, why are you starting?

I've been watching football a long time and screen passes will slow down hard rushing.

If the problem is we aren't throwing enough screen passes then it isn't necessary to replace the OC. The HC can simply instruct his coach to throw more screens. Same goes for having the defense blitz more. You don't have to fire someone to fix simple issues like these.

Well, I'm gonna say this and I know alot of you all are not going to agree, but MR is not our QB for the future. For precisely the reasons that others have mentioned by him focusing in on one or two WRs and trying to force the balls their way instead of just throwing to the open WR. Right now, he displays the same stats as Mark Sanchez, but just dont have Mark's killer instinct.

If the problem is we aren't throwing enough screen passes then it isn't necessary to replace the OC. The HC can simply instruct his coach to throw more screens. Same goes for having the defense blitz more. You don't have to fire someone to fix simple issues like these.

That may very well be what we do in the offseason. If these guys think they can tweak our schemes to make this team more dynamic, then I hope thay are successful at it.

One of my worries this season, has been the abundance of mental errors. These kinds of things are on the players to an extent, but it also lies very much on the coaches to instill discipline in their men.

That theory may work in THEORY but the fact is, theres been times when we flat out dominate those high power offenses (like last years saints game, or even earlier game this year) with good defensive playcalling, then we just totally drop the ball in a game like this weeks. Like the Packers game for example; we owned them in the first half, then the 2nd half we made no adjustments, and they owned us. How did we beat the packers last year before the playoff game if our players are so horrible? We have the players, if they were used right they would be fine. Look at all of our former players in the past 2-3 years, like Chris Houston, having an almost probowl year in DET now that he has a coordinator who isn't braindead.

Point is, when you have games where you are doing great one half and doing horrible the 2nd half (Carolina game, Packers game, Saints game, im sure theres MANY more) - and having specific portions of the game where you are REALLY bad (third quarter) - that leads SOLELY to bad coaching. No adjustments are ever made by our team, while other teams figure out how predictable we are and they adjust to dominate us in the 2nd half. It always happens like this.

Its not the players at all; if we had Sean Payton (who's defense has literally no names, yet with a competent DC they are much better than us despite having 4-5 allstars) or Belichek, we would win the superbowl for sure. Its all coaching.

Then why is it that Sean Payton lost to SEA in the first round last year? How come they've only won one title in all his time there? Why hasn't Belichek hoisted the Lombardi every season? Because, you know, it's all coaching right? How come the Saints have lost 3 games this year?

Or is your point that we have the most talent in the NFL?

Well, I'm gonna say this and I know alot of you all are not going to agree, but MR is not our QB for the future. For precisely the reasons that others have mentioned by him focusing in on one or two WRs and trying to force the balls their way instead of just throwing to the open WR. Right now, he displays the same stats as Mark Sanchez, but just dont have Mark's killer instinct.

Matt Ryan 4,071 yards 27 TD's 12 INT's 90.7 rating

Sanchez 3,267 yards 24 TD's 15 INT's 79.0 rating

not even close

Matt Ryan 4,071 yards 27 TD's 12 INT's 90.7 rating

Sanchez 3,267 yards 24 TD's 15 INT's 79.0 rating

not even close

LOL!!! Believe me. MR isnt close to Sanchez. And I dont mean that in a good way.

Here's a quote (that I totally believe in) from poster: Root Down off the Pure Football board that was made back in September.

Matt Ryan will never lead this team to a Super Bowl.

I've never been a "hater". I've always thought Ryan was on a good developmental track. But my eyes saw what they saw.

At this point, in the same system, with the same coordinator Ryan should not look this bad. Did he look anywhere close to Aaron Rodgers. In control, sharp. Nope. How about Brees, Manning, Brady, Vick, Rivers? No.

He had guys open and checked down. For instance in the red zone. TG was running up the right hash, broke right on a out at the goal line. Ryan didn't even see him. After about 1sec he already decided to dump it to turner who had a lber draped all over him. This is just one example I noticed with the same theme. I now the O-line was garbage. I'm talking about when he did have time. Low throws, bad throws, no throws.

He looks like the exact same QB that he was in yr 2. I'm really concerned this is it. This is full potential. OMG. Well maybe we can make a big move in the draft and get Luck.....just d a m n. Maybe Cin. will trade us Palmer....

I'm not saying Mularkey is great either.

Here it is December and MR is STILL doing the same things that he was doing in September. ****, that he was doing in year 2 like "Root Down" said.

LOL!!! Believe me. MR isnt close to Sanchez. And I dont mean that in a good way.

Here's a quote (that I totally believe in) from poster: Root Down off the Pure Football board that was made back in September.

Here it is December and MR is STILL doing the same things that he was doing in September. ****, that he was doing in year 2 like "Root Down" said.

You're quoting someone off of a message board that wanted Carson Palmer. Have you seen Palmer play this year? That alone blows this argument out of the water.

You're quoting someone off of a message board that wanted Carson Palmer. Have you seen Palmer play this year? That alone blows this argument out of the water.

LOL!!! Well, Palmer IS new to Oakland's system. I mean he wasnt even on the team when this short season started, so that will back his play up for this year. But all in all, what was MR doing during the lockout? Wasnt that the time to try to get his timing down with "ALL" his WRs or was he busy focusing on who he was going to "target" the most?

LOL!!! Well, Palmer IS new to Oakland's system. I mean he wasnt even on the team when this short season started, so that will back his play up for this year. But all in all, what was MR doing during the lockout? Wasnt that the time to try to get his timing down with "ALL" his WRs or was he busy focusing on who he was going to "target" the most?

How long has Palmer been in the league? How many championships dude got? How about playoff wins?