Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peyton

The Nuclear Meltdown Of This Boards Is Hilarious!

170 posts in this topic

Yea sure. It's the same drivel you and those like you pointed out years ago when the same scenario presented itself.

I always appreciate your quality feedback Mojo.

I always appreciate your quality feedback Mojo.

Quality feedback to you would be damage control and nuthugging. I don't do that, guy. Good luck with your homerism.

The Falcons were going to have to slay that dragon at some point anyway.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe someone else slayed it first. But to say it doesn't matter is just factually incorrect.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe someone else slayed it first. But to say it doesn't matter is just factually incorrect.

Ok, if you think that the being the 5 or 6 seed is very much different, then yes, I was factually wrong.

But I really don't think the Lions were going up in there and beating the Saints.

The only talk of firing that is understandable is Van Gorder.

While you're right in saying Atlanta was right there with them until Quizz's holding call, the offense wasn't the issue last night. Penalties (and some other absurd calls) killed us last night, but Ryan was on. The defense didn't do the offense any favors, and, ultimately, NO would have won the game because they could score at will. Van Gorder is just an incompetent DC at the NFL level. He has continued to show that. It's been an improving defense because of talent and playing teams with much lesser talent. When Atlanta plays these upper-tier teams, it's game over. Defense and that soft zone that Van Gorder refuses to make adjustments to get eaten alive. Last night, I saw very little adjustment to what Brees and Co. were doing. I'm done with Van Gorder.

And yes, the lack of pass rush and ability to get to the QB and cause problems is disconcerning as well. Even with Edwards, it's worse than it was last year. Again, this is the problem when we face great teams. Atlanta isn't ready, and I see it beginning and ending with defensive adjustments.

Every time Atlanta shows that they may matter, they remind us that they don't. Tiring.

Ok, if you think that the being the 5 or 6 seed is very much different, then yes, I was factually wrong.

But I really don't think the Lions were going up in there and beating the Saints.

Maybe not, but I do think the Falcons have a better shot getting their first playoff win under this regime against New York or Dallas than against the Saints.

Hopefully this game will inspire the Falcons, or light a fire, or any other cliche. But all the fire in the world won't help when you're plain outcoached.

The only talk of firing that is understandable is Van Gorder.

While you're right in saying Atlanta was right there with them until Quizz's holding call, the offense wasn't the issue last night. Penalties (and some other absurd calls) killed us last night, but Ryan was on. The defense didn't do the offense any favors, and, ultimately, NO would have won the game because they could score at will. Van Gorder is just an incompetent DC at the NFL level. He has continued to show that. It's been an improving defense because of talent and playing teams with much lesser talent. When Atlanta plays these upper-tier teams, it's game over. Defense and that soft zone that Van Gorder refuses to make adjustments to get eaten alive. Last night, I saw very little adjustment to what Brees and Co. were doing. I'm done with Van Gorder.

And yes, the lack of pass rush and ability to get to the QB and cause problems is disconcerning as well. Even with Edwards, it's worse than it was last year. Again, this is the problem when we face great teams. Atlanta isn't ready, and I see it beginning and ending with defensive adjustments.

Every time Atlanta shows that they may matter, they remind us that they don't. Tiring.

If the Falcons move on from BVG, I trust it's the right thing to do. I just see players out there that are suppose to be good players disappearing in big moments, and I am more inclined to blame them for it.

As unbelievable as this might sound, I am actually surprised by some of the stuff I see certain people saying today.

I mean, I expected a meltdown after that game, but not quite as throrough as what has happened.

The Saints were sharp last night, no question about it. The Falcons were keeping up fine until that hold call on Jaquizz, then the whole game changed. It was very disappointing. A serious bummer.

But really, it doesn't matter. The game didn't matter. The Saints wouldn't have lost to Carolina with everything on the line next week, so the Falcons are ultimately in the same situation.

I see people who claim that they KNOW that this team is going nowhere with this coaching staff and GM. If you honestly feel that way, then you shouldn't tune in in two weeks when the Falcons play their playoff game. Why would you watch a game that is 100% guaranteed to bring you disappointment?

The Falcons are in the playoffs for the 3rd time in 4 years and they've had 4 straight winning seasons, and most of the board wants to fire everybody.

I don't have the words.

winning ALWAYS matters...losing ALWAYS matters...the team that shows up on the field ALWAYS matters...PERIOD!!!

As unbelievable as this might sound, I am actually surprised by some of the stuff I see certain people saying today.

I mean, I expected a meltdown after that game, but not quite as throrough as what has happened.

The Saints were sharp last night, no question about it. The Falcons were keeping up fine until that hold call on Jaquizz, then the whole game changed. It was very disappointing. A serious bummer.

But really, it doesn't matter. The game didn't matter. The Saints wouldn't have lost to Carolina with everything on the line next week, so the Falcons are ultimately in the same situation.

I see people who claim that they KNOW that this team is going nowhere with this coaching staff and GM. If you honestly feel that way, then you shouldn't tune in in two weeks when the Falcons play their playoff game. Why would you watch a game that is 100% guaranteed to bring you disappointment?

The Falcons are in the playoffs for the 3rd time in 4 years and they've had 4 straight winning seasons, and most of the board wants to fire everybody.

I don't have the words.

Peyton, Falcons are a good team.....Playoffs in 3 out of 4 years is a good thing. Falcons are a respectable team in NFL circles now.....

I think the meltdown is very understandable though. Falcons team is very formula driven - try to possess the ball, run the clock, keep the defense off the field and win the turnover/penalty battle.

That formula has worked to large degree to hand the Falcons winning season after winning season.

However, the formula has also proved not to hold up against the upper echelon teams and even moreso for road games.

I think the Falcons could probably peel off 3-5 more years of winning seasons with Matt at the helm and same coaching staff - but I don't see greatness in this team and neither do the guys really upset right now. Even worse, I think the Falcons "parts" are greater than their "whole" - I believe better coordinators would get more out of this group - hopefully Mike Smith will recognize and adapt here - if for no other reason than his self-preservation.

The offensive and defensive schemes are passive by design and just simply don't hold up. Certainly personnel could be upgraded on offensive line and defensive line/secondary but I believe more effective coordinators could scheme around deficiencies better than Mularkey/BVG.

If the goal is to just be steady eddie and eek out 10-6 season, then no change is really needed. I just have higher dreams for Falcons than that.

PokerSteve likes this

The truth is I'm just not in the mood to be all that upset about last night's game. The Falcons got one a lot more important in 12 or 13 days.

If they get blown out in that one, I won't be on here trying to tell people to feel better.

Promise.

We're in the tournament. That's all I ask for every year, and frankly, I'm looking forward to a rematch in two weeks.

That's all I'm trying to say! biggrin.png

The truth is I'm just not in the mood to be all that upset about last night's game. The Falcons got one a lot more important in 12 or 13 days.

If they get blown out in that one, I won't be on here trying to tell people to feel better.

Promise.

well, i'm all for you not having to make any retractions......hope the dirty birds turn this around - just not optimistic right now.

I just am having hard time seeing Falcons put it altogether on the road, regardless of opponent.

We're in the tournament. That's all I ask for every year, and frankly, I'm looking forward to a rematch in two weeks.

That type of apathy is why this team will keep from being great. The franchise and the fans expect more from the fans than from the team itself. Borat, you and Gonzo both critiqued the fans for being "fair weathered", but isn't outcome based on the team itself?

As long as the franchise is ok with being decent, the Falcons are going no where; thankfully many of the fans disagree with this idea and are not showing up in the Dome. Ultimately it will hurt Blank's profit and force him to change things.

I actually think the problem is that our QB just isn't quite as good as Brees, Rodgers, or Brady.

And those penalties killed us last night too.

He might get there though.

Shaking my head and thinking what?

Here is the thing:

When Franks has an interception in his hands, he has to catch it.

When Moore has an interception in his hands, he has to catch it.

Jaquizz has to make that cut block without putting his hand on the guys leg.

Clabo has to block without putting his hands in the guys facemask.

Clean up those 4 things last night and it's a very close game.

The Falcons have to win those plays to win these games.

nodding my head thinking yep...

Honestly man how do you reconcile these two comments?

Never mind that though it is rhetorical...

I appreciate your being the voice of sanity today-someone has to do it- There has to be someone talking folks off a ledge... However

I really felt like we got slightly outcoached...again...

I do not think Smtty is the problem....this team never quits even last night late.. To me that is Smitty's primary responsibility....and he has done a fine job.

I defend our Coordinators often but i wish we could figure out when to blitz and how to blitz so that we could get someone on the ground and they wouldn't have like 'all day' in the pocket to plan our demise...

On offense i wish we could run folks in and out and play truly up-tempo. We never catch people off guard...with the exception of the sneak last night where we just snapped it fast before they were ready...

NO offense is a fast operating machine that catches people off guard and uses subterfuge...

It puts Drew Brees in good position to excell...

I mean my biggest questions today are not about our QB or really any of our players...

It seems like we waste too many plays on Offense and we play into the other teams hands on defense... Not taking anything away from Brees--the dude is awesome--but we let him and them get away with murder and rape against us with great regularity last night...

That just don't seem right to me...

That's all I'm trying to say! biggrin.png

Just to be clear though--

I am still right there with yall...110. You can't win the tourney if you are not in it...

Shaking my head and thinking what?

nodding my head thinking yep...

Honestly man how do you reconcile these two comments?

Ryan is close. The biggest difference between him and Rodgers and Brees is the ability to stick it in there in the red zone.

Last night the game would have been a lot closer if the Falcons had won those other plays I talked about, but they still would have needed to do better in the red zone to have a chance to win.

Ryan is close. The biggest difference between him and Rodgers and Brees is the ability to stick it in there in the red zone.

Last night the game would have been a lot closer if the Falcons had won those other plays I talked about, but they still would have needed to do better in the red zone to have a chance to win.

yep

It seems like when we go no-huddle Ryan often takes too much time making adjustments...if there is only one second left before the snap it must be pretty easy to get a good jump off the line for the Defense...

I cant blame it on Ryan though -- **** the guy is doing everything...

yep

It seems like when we go no-huddle Ryan often takes too much time making adjustments...if there is only one second left before the snap it must be pretty easy to get a good jump off the line for the Defense...

I cant blame it on Ryan though -- **** the guy is doing everything...

I'm not really blaming Ryan.

The truth is that it took Brees and entire decade to turn into what he is now.

Ryan is still getting better. It's hard to be paitient, but i think he has some magical years in front of him.

I do think he could benefit from a change at OC though. Not ripping Mularkey, but I think it would be good for Matt to get another offensive mind's point of view.

lasher1116 likes this

One of the things that greatly concerns me is the potential lack of understanding from the "powers that be" at Flowery Branch about how far we actually are away from being one of the elite teams in the game.

The postgame press conferences from Smith and the season-long radio and television interviews from Dimitroff seem to indicate that there is just some correcting and cleaning up to do.

There are problems with this team that are resistant to just a tweak here and there.

Most of us see and know that.

PokerSteve and lasher1116 like this

One of the things that greatly concerns me is the potential lack of understanding from the "powers that be" at Flowery Branch about how far we actually are away from being one of the elite teams in the game.

The postgame press conferences from Smith and the season-long radio and television interviews from Dimitroff seem to indicate that there is just some correcting and cleaning up to do.

There are problems with this team that are resistant to just a tweak here and there.

Most of us see and know that.

Yeah, but we're "just" fans. What do we know, right?

Yeah, but we're "just" fans. What do we know, right?

Well, you have hit upon a very interesting point there BB.....I have even (shamefully) trotted out that argument in the past when in the midst of an argument addressing TD, McKay's prowess as a GM...You know the line "TD has forgotten more about football than you or I will ever know.".....Realistically that's probably still true....but did TD spending his entire adult life immersed in the NFL prevent him from making clearly poor decisions on Peria Jerry, Sam Baker, Chevis Jackson, Dunta Robinson and potentially Ray Edwards? No, those calls stink more with each passing day.

It's a strawman argument I won't use again.

lasher1116 likes this

I don't really. But I think the problem is that we are in an era of Greatness at the QB position,and ours is just good.

Maybe he'll get there. Maybe he won't. Either way, it's not like the Falcons can go down to the QB store and buy a Brees or Rodgers.

MR had 373 yards passing and no turnovers.

Turner had 39 rushing yards.

Defense held Brees to 307 passing yards which wasn't too bad, but let up 164 rushing yards.

Last night's game had a lot less to do with QB play on either side of the ball, than it did with this team once again not being prepared for a big game like they should be. Our coaching staff was outcoached yet again.

lasher1116 likes this

I agree there is way too much over reaction on the board but most of that comes immediately after the loss or day after and I can understand the disappointment. However it is nice these past couple of years to know that you were most likely a playoff team. Now go and win one. You cannot leave a this post season without a win