Steve Wyche: Falcons Will Use Decision To Go For Brees' Record In Garbage Time As Motivation Next Time Teams Meet

Falcons not happy that Saints went for record

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 27, 2011, 8:57 AM EST

The Saints got the ball back at the 33-yard line Monday night, up 38-16, with just over five minutes remaining.

Drew Brees needed 30 yards at the time to break Dan Marino’s record. The Saints would usually be running the ball in that situation. But this wasn’t a usual situation.

Saints coach Sean Payton clearly wanted to get the record on Monday Night Football. He admitted so after the game.

“Typically, would I be throwing it there? The answer would be probably not. In fact, the answer would be ‘I wouldn’t be.’ But I thought it was appropriate that we get the record. And we did it,” Payton said, adding how much he respected the Falcons.

After a one-yard run by Pierre Thomas on the second play of the drive, the Saints kept throwing. We didn’t have a problem with the strategy. There’s no rule saying the Falcons couldn’t stop Brees.

Payton and Brees were trying to get the record out of the way and celebrate on a special night in New Orleans. Not everyone agrees with our view.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports questioned whether the approach was “classy.” Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com criticized the Saints, saying that running up the score took some shine off the record. Falcons players agreed.

“No need for that,” one player told Prisco. “It came on our watch, but it didn’t have to come that way. We won’t forget it.”

Falcons coach Mike Smith said only positives about Brees after the game, but Prisco writes via team sources that Smith wasn’t happy with Peyton’s decision to go for it.

“That’s just who they are,” the Falcons player said. “We’ll see them down the road. We won’t forget any of it.”

That’s the beauty of this situation. There’s a strong chance that “down the road” will be in two weeks, when the Falcons possibly head back to the Superdome in the Wild Card round.

Yeah if you can't get motivated because the logo incident, katrina bowl and the way the Saints have kicked our azzes over the past few years, then I don't know what will. Not to mention the fact that the Saints are one of our biggest rivals. I highly doubt that Brees obtaining the record in so called garbage time is gonna light a fire under them.

Actually Brees obtained the record by torching our azzes the whole game. If they didn't want it to happen, they could have attempted to stop it. Stick a sock in it Steve.

oh yeah! look out saints........ you messed up now. wait until we break out that legendary falcons defense. we are going to be all over those recievers. I bet there will be a play where our secondary is within 10 yards of the receiver. well maybe anyway.

OR

i bet we only give brees 10 maybe 12 seconds to find the reciever.

Smith should be more worried with how his team played the 55 minutes before the Saints decided t run up the score and go for another TD. Play some defense and offense where you don't look scared to be on the field with them and you don't have to worry about the running up of the score.

Hey coach, I wasn't happy that I spent $1000 on travel and the like to see your pathetically coached team. But, you know what, at least I showed up, unlike most of your pathetically coached team. How about actually make our guys practice before a huge game? This team isn't good enough nor has earned anything that they are given time off.

I was pissed they did that, but hearing Brees on the interview afterwards really took my hatred to a new level. "I didn't know how close I was." are you kidding me? The moment he completes the pass that went over the mark he was cheering and jumping for joy like a kid opening up the best Christmas gift he ever got. If anyone believes that POS didn't know EXACTLY how many yards he needed, they are a fool.

It's classless to go for it when you have another game next week where you will get the record. It says even more about his character when he has to lie about it to keep up this front about being a team player and his other garbage.

I agree with everyone that it's still up to our defense to stop them, but I disagree with you all about giving Brees a pass. This was a much much worse display of sportsmanship than Favre sliding into Strahan's sack record and he was scrutinized for years for that.

If there's such a thing as Kharma, we'll face the Saints week 1 of the playoffs and run up the score on them. I don't see it happening with our defense the way it played, and I don't look forward to seeing them or GB in the Playoffs. But I can still hope and pray for redemption.

Yeah if you can't get motivated because the logo incident, katrina bowl and the way the Saints have kicked our azzes over the past few years, then I don't know what will. Not to mention the fact that the Saints are one of our biggest rivals. I highly doubt that Brees obtaining the record in so called garbage time is gonna light a fire under them.

Actually Brees obtained the record by torching our azzes the whole game. If they didn't want it to happen, they could have attempted to stop it. Stick a sock in it Steve.

Could not agree more. Lol, what are our pansy players going to do about it? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. They don't have the drive to put this "memory" to good use.

When you saw New Orleans just ramming us off the ball in the running game, while we had had much longer to rest...you know this team isn't working like it should in the weightroom.

It was obvious when they came out firing on that last possession that they were going for it. The defense is p*ssed now? Why didnt they get p*ssed then, and say we aint letting this happen? Oh, right, because our defense was horrible right now.

This was embarrassing last night, please dont embarrass us more by whining about it.