Against Falcons Drew Brees ----- Sacks ?

falcon_ace

No doubt about it that the ONE thing that absolutely MUST happen (defensively) for us Monday night, is putting pressure on Drew Brees for four quarters. If we can't get consistent pressure, it could be a long night for us. My ideal scenario is that we rush four and drop seven into coverage, with our CBs playing press-man on the outside to disrupt the routes of the Saints WRs. We can't just let their wide-outs go unchallenged at the line of scrimmage. The Saints offense is a timing-based offense, and if we can do anything to disrupt that timing at all, that's a huge advantage for us in getting Brees off his spot.

NFL radio mentioned a stat.

Drew Brees is sacked 1 every 62 pass att against falcons.

Thats not bad ...thats p-a-t-h-e-t-i-c.

You cant give him time to scan the field. He will kill us. Abe & Ray better get to him every 5 pass att.

WOW! That's not good at all if that is the case. According to those stats then 2 quarters after the game is over with brees might have the bad luck of being tripped by one of the Falcons playing against another team. laugh.png

Come to think of it, in the last 2 years what's the most times brees has been sacked in any game?

IMO. the Falcons soft zone coverage against him worked well last time. I just hope BVD doesn't dial up multiple blitzes packages. Hopefully our front 4 can step it up a notch pressure wise this time.

If it works I'm all for it, but there's that word again "SOFT" being used with the defensive scheme, that just doesn't sound too good to me. Sometimes I feel like BVG's scheme should be called the "Twilight Zone". In all seriousness I think the Falcons defense has played very good lately. I hope they get a few sacks on brees just to knock that mole off his face!

WOW! That's not good at all if that is the case. According to those stats then 2 quarters after the game is over with brees might have the bad luck of being tripped by one of the Falcons playing against another team. laugh.png

Come to think of it, in the last 2 years what's the most times brees has been sacked in any game?

I'm not sure, but I know the Rams got him 6 times this year.

As for us - I remember we had 2 sacks in the game we won against them last year, but only 1 in the last game. We didn't get to him at all this year.

I can tell you though, he has one of the best OL's in the league. Someone needs to pull up the Rams tape and dissect it to the nth degree.

As for us - I remember we had 2 sacks in the game we won against them last year, but only 1 in the last game. We didn't get to him at all this year.

I can tell you though, he has one of the best OL's in the league. Someone needs to pull up the Rams tape and dissect it to the nth degree.

As I recall, the Rams ran a lot of stunts; they didn't just rush "straight up" like we have a tendency to do.

As I recall, the Rams ran a lot of stunts; they didn't just rush "straight up" like we have a tendency to do.

Where were most of the stunts getting through? Middle, Left or right?

That's good information because it means they do their job and hold the line, but don't improvise well. Sounds like a way through.

I agree with Banker, we have to disrupt his timing,get him off his spot. The 1 sack every 62 atts. is a little misleading, cuz it's just as important to put relentless pressure on qbs especially up the middle in his face knockdowns & hurries have value even without the sack cuz the qb now starts to fear the rush,can get happy feet throws to soon or from bad positions all which opens the door for mistakes So the goal is to get to the qb,but you must finish the play once you have gotten there. Correct those thing & get pressure without always blitzing & i'm sure that stat will change

Where were most of the stunts getting through? Middle, Left or right?

That's good information because it means they do their job and hold the line, but don't improvise well. Sounds like a way through.

A couple of great highlights at the beginning of this video of Brees being sacked. On second thought, looks like the Rams pretty much rush four straight-up (at least from these highlights they did.)

http://www.nfl.com/v...Rams-highlights

If it works I'm all for it, but there's that word again "SOFT" being used with the defensive scheme, that just doesn't sound too good to me. Sometimes I feel like BVG's scheme should be called the "Twilight Zone". In all seriousness I think the Falcons defense has played very good lately. I hope they get a few sacks on brees just to knock that mole off his face!

To put things in prespective, lets's examine this - Last 4 games played =

Vikings, 18th in total offense (minus AP at the time)

Texans, 10th " " " Rookie QB under center at the time, who has since lost his job.

Panties 5th " " Impressive job (after half time)

Jags 32th " " Absolutely the worst offense I've seen in recent history

I just don't believe that the defensive scheme displayed against the Aints was deficient last time. The main problem, in my estimation, was that our offense failed to produce against G. Williams's joke of a defense.

Edited by vabchbirdlover

I say we dial up the same defense we played against Breesus last December. In that game we rushed four, blitzed one and played some match up zone with six.

It rattled Breesus big time. We sacked him once and forced him into two picks, one of them on that stupid flip pass he tries so much. Chauncey took it to the house.

He racked up some yards but only scored 17 points, seven coming late when we backed off into our normal soft bush it. We shut their run game down too.

That was our best defensive outing against the Mole Man under the current regime. The issue was we missed 8 sacks. BWill, Abe, Spoon, Beer Man, Peters and WillyMo whiffed big time. We just need to get that mofo on the ground this time.

Here is my GBU write up from that game:

THE GOOD

-Defense showed up

-Defense 3 and out on first drive

-Weems body slammed Bush on a return

-BVG was aggressive. Saints weren't ready

-DeCoud good tackle

-WillyMo outstanding PD

-BWill good tackle

-Held Bush in check

-Nice out pass to Roddy

-DeCoud popped Pierre

-Ryan gets hit and makes nice throw to Roddy

-Fought back 14-7 after being down 10-0

-Good Turner run on 3TE bunch play

-Snelling nice 20 yard reception

-Good move by Roddy on his TD

-Mughelli good ST tackle

-DeCoud beat but got the tip

-Abe picks up #13

-Abe and Nic get a QB hurry

-Jenkins good 1st down catch

-Jenkins draws two straight PI calls

-Grimes & Lofton hold Bush up & 10 hats hit him

-Jenkins another 1st down catch

-Bab QB hit Chauncey pick six!

-Abe gets a tip pick

-Nic and Lofton get another TFL

-Nic smashes Thomas and sends him to the bench

-DeCoud makes incredible open field tackle on Bush

-Nice scramble by Ryan

-4th and 6 punt is the right call at that point

-Graham almost fumbled the ball back to us

THE BAD

-too many 3 and outs

-couldn't run the ball

-Peele gives up another TFL

-Double PI call was BS

-Saints controlled our Oline

-No huddle was shut down

-Busterson covering Lance Moore? OK

-BWill missed a tackle

-The middle of the pass defense is still soft

-Weems needs to fair catch the short punts

-Roddy had a drop

-Dunta dropped a pick

-Will Smith beats Baker for a sack

-Another end around? Wow

-Lofton misses a tackle

-We can't defend slants

-Graham beats Moore and Spoon for TD on a slant

-Gave up a 90 yard winning TD drive

-Gruden said Fox will pull out all stops Sunday

THE UGLY

-BWill, Moore, Beirmann, Spoon, Abe & Peters missed Brees 8 times

-McClure botched snap? WTF?

-The Turner fumble was crucial

I say we dial up the same defense we played against Breesus last December. In that game we rushed four, blitzed one and played some match up zone with six.

It rattled Breesus big time. We sacked him once and forced him into two picks, one of them on that stupid flip pass he tries so much. Chauncey took it to the house.

He racked up some yards but only scored 17 points, seven coming late when we backed off into our normal soft bush it. We shut their run game down too.

That was our best defensive outing against the Mole Man under the current regime. The issue was we missed 8 sacks. BWill, Abe, Spoon, Beer Man, Peters and WillyMo whiffed big time. We just need to get that mofo on the ground this time.

Here is my GBU write up from that game:

THE GOOD

-Defense showed up

-Defense 3 and out on first drive

-Weems body slammed Bush on a return

-BVG was aggressive. Saints weren't ready

-DeCoud good tackle

-WillyMo outstanding PD

-BWill good tackle

-Held Bush in check

-Nice out pass to Roddy

-DeCoud popped Pierre

-Ryan gets hit and makes nice throw to Roddy

-Fought back 14-7 after being down 10-0

-Good Turner run on 3TE bunch play

-Snelling nice 20 yard reception

-Good move by Roddy on his TD

-Mughelli good ST tackle

-DeCoud beat but got the tip

-Abe picks up #13

-Abe and Nic get a QB hurry

-Jenkins good 1st down catch

-Jenkins draws two straight PI calls

-Grimes & Lofton hold Bush up & 10 hats hit him

-Jenkins another 1st down catch

-Bab QB hit Chauncey pick six!

-Abe gets a tip pick

-Nic and Lofton get another TFL

-Nic smashes Thomas and sends him to the bench

-DeCoud makes incredible open field tackle on Bush

-Nice scramble by Ryan

-4th and 6 punt is the right call at that point

-Graham almost fumbled the ball back to us

THE BAD

-too many 3 and outs

-couldn't run the ball

-Peele gives up another TFL

-Double PI call was BS

-Saints controlled our Oline

-No huddle was shut down

-Busterson covering Lance Moore? OK

-BWill missed a tackle

-The middle of the pass defense is still soft

-Weems needs to fair catch the short punts

-Roddy had a drop

-Dunta dropped a pick

-Will Smith beats Baker for a sack

-Another end around? Wow

-Lofton misses a tackle

-We can't defend slants

-Graham beats Moore and Spoon for TD on a slant

-Gave up a 90 yard winning TD drive

-Gruden said Fox will pull out all stops Sunday

THE UGLY

-BWill, Moore, Beirmann, Spoon, Abe & Peters missed Brees 8 times

-McClure botched snap? WTF?

-The Turner fumble was crucial

Absolutely the greatest game plan BVG has ever installed right there ........

i dont understand y its so hard for us to get a hit on brees cause we do get to him, just seldom do we wrap him up... i miss the good old days back when the saints weren't even considered a challenge to us when vick was here, we owned those guys. its time for us to take back control of this division guys.. starting monday night.

i dont understand y its so hard for us to get a hit on brees cause we do get to him, just seldom do we wrap him up... i miss the good old days back when the saints weren't even considered a challenge to us when vick was here, we owned those guys. its time for us to take back control of this division guys.. starting monday night.

Yep, and how soon those Aints trolls forget. We swept them on the regular back then, but, like they say, that was then, this is now. Time to turn back the clock, I say.

Brees is very good at keeping his feet moving and making plays with his head down the field. We can affect that if we can get push up the middle to keep him from stepping up. The problem with that is the interior of their line is their strength. Push up the middle can help limit his movement and keep him in a spot.

And for the love of Odin someone needs to not overrun him when we have free blitzers!

Thanks, I thought that might have been one of the games where brees got knocked around some. I hope BVG has studied the rams tape like you are saying here.

Thanks again for the info.

And for the love of Odin someone needs to not overrun him when we have free blitzers!

We seem to have an issue on free blitzes. Any team that seems to have a somewhat mobile quarterback we overshoot, or he spins out of a sure tackle and kills us with a downfield pass. It pains me because we are a good open field tackling team on backs and receivers, but can't handle the slower player. Maybe we over think it too much because there is more time to screw up than to just react.