Ok Enough Trollin: Saints Vs Falcons Matchup Discussion

When you are talking about "accomplishments" that happened against another regime yes.

It has no meaning and bears no weight on the game at hand.

What he has done against Ryan DOES. Because Ryan can atone...a vick lead team under Mora can not.

Isnt that other regime still the Falcons though?? I mean bragging about what Jerry Glanville did, I can see how that has no bearing on anything other than history. However Sean Payton is still the head coach and it all figures into what he has done in NO since his arrival.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt that other regime still the Falcons though?? I mean bragging about what Jerry Glanville did, I can see how that has no bearing on anything other than history. However Sean Payton is still the head coach and it all figures into what he has done in NO since his arrival.

No its not.

totally different coaching staffs , totally different GM,m totally different qb.......totally different EVERYTHING.

I am ok with bringing up the past 4 years of a 5-2 record but going back to Mora and Petrino is not cool.

like I said it is the exact equivalent of me bragging about us laying the smack down on Ditka and Haslett.

If I start bringing up those games what is the first reaction saints fans are going to have?

so bragging about MY COACHES accomplishments are insane?

I have to agree here. Every team has different era's depending on major changes. These are cumulative and differ from discussions of individual years and individual games.

Take the Falcons for instance. Over the past decade you could compare:

1. The Blank era

2.The Vick era

3.The Dimismittyan era

Edited by HailRazor

The first reaction of mine would be Haslett isn't our coach and Mora Jr isn't y'all coach. The past is the past. However, Payton is still our coach making all of his accomplishments while wearing a Saints visor very relevant.

If the discussion is about how Payton has done against the Falcons then his entire record is relevant. But let's be honest, Saints fans bring up his good record against Atlanta as a card they can play to win an argument about the current Falcons team. So it is disingenuous, if not spin-doctoring, to count wins against Petrino's teams in that argument. Smith/TD/Ryan have been here for four years and that is a truer indication of the current rivalry and y'all have the clear edge there.

If the discussion is about how Payton has done against the Falcons then his entire record is relevant. But let's be honest, Saints fans bring up his good record against Atlanta as a card they can play to win an argument about the current Falcons team. So it is disingenuous, if not spin-doctoring, to count wins against Petrino's teams in that argument. Smith/TD/Ryan have been here for four years and that is a truer indication of the current rivalry and y'all have the clear edge there.

I do have to agree with fd56, the teams at their current 'intended' full strength design is the MOST relevant comparison and would include the Ryan-to-Brees record.

However, I still believe Payton's 9-2 streak is as legitly applicable as any quick start or home record of Ryan's which I see bandied about when it suits.

The first reaction of mine would be Haslett isn't our coach and Mora Jr isn't y'all coach. The past is the past. However, Payton is still our coach making all of his accomplishments while wearing a Saints visor very relevant.

Not when it is against a TOTALLY different regime and circumstances.

It is just like one of hte man fans who play against the colts this year and brag about shutting down the colts.

The natural reaction is " yeah by t they were with out manning".

Now When Manning plays and the colts are shut down it is a different conversation.

Same applies here yeah Peyton has has had success against the falcons but MOST of that success has come against 2 different regimes then what we have now.

And again ( well I guess 4 sets?) of qbs ( Vick,Harrington,Lefty and Redman) vs who we have now who is our true franchise qb. to which Peyton only has a 3-2 record against.

And yeah it IS the injury card but this one hwere even the most hard core saint homers would say " yeah but Brees did not play" had Brees missed a game.

I do have to agree with fd56, the teams at their current 'intended' full strength design is the MOST relevant comparison and would include the Ryan-to-Brees record.

However, I still believe Payton's 9-2 streak is as legitly applicable as any quick start or home record of Ryan's which I see bandied about when it suits.

I do not see where the 2 are one in the same at all.

Not when it is against a TOTALLY different regime and circumstances.

It is just like one of hte man fans who play against the colts this year and brag about shutting down the colts.

The natural reaction is " yeah by t they were with out manning".

Now When Manning plays and the colts are shut down it is a different conversation.

Same applies here yeah Peyton has has had success against the falcons but MOST of that success has come against 2 different regimes then what we have now.

And again ( well I guess 4 sets?) of qbs ( Vick,Harrington,Lefty and Redman) vs who we have now who is our true franchise qb. to which Peyton only has a 3-2 record against.

And yeah it IS the injury card but this one hwere even the most hard core saint homers would say " yeah but Brees did not play" had Brees missed a game.

And now your speculating what homers would say. Either way, bottom line, Brees/Payton have a winning record against the Falcons. Smith/Ryan/or any QB when Ryan is hurt have a losing record against the Saints.