Because Of Newton's Amazing Season. Will Rookie Qbs Be Expected To Perform Better, From Here On Out?

and it's always the wins, not the losses that the QB gets credit for.

I don't get people bashing stats. Stats RE important in that they show you well, the guy is holding up his end of the bargain. If a guy goes 2-8 with 69 yards and his team wins, you can bet you need to look somewhere besides the QB position for the win and you can bet you won't ever see that again.

So stats don't tell the whole story, but yea, they count.

It depends.....on when those 69 yards came.

In tebows case they probably come in the last 2 minutes when you team needed plays to be made...

What would you rather have a qb who goes 4 of 10 but throws the game winning pass or a qb who completes 70% of his passes, 3 tds but throws an int to cost the team a game?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends.....on when those 69 yards came.

In tebows case they probably come in the last 2 minutes when you team needed plays to be made...

What would you rather have a qb who goes 4 of 10 but throws the game winning pass or a qb who completes 70% of his passes, 3 tds but throws an int to cost the team a game?

I would say if the QB threw 3 TD's and completed 70% of hispasses yet his one int cost the team a game

A. the rest of his team wasn't doing their jobs and

B: pretty likely without those 3 TD's his team would never been in the game to start with.

That's what I say.

i completely Disagree

Rookie QB

Vet QB

any QB

at any Level

Wins are the MOST Important Stat

PERIOD

What does that PERIOD mean?

1. The guy who wrote that article gets paid for his Opinion. You well ---------------Don't

2. Ryan hasn't won a playoff game does that mean Trent Differ a better QB then Him? NO

3. To put the period at the end of somthing you would have to be the end all to be all in football knowlege. You're

wait for it

wait for it

NOT!

I would say if the QB threw 3 TD's and completed 70% of hispasses yet his one int cost the team a game

A. the rest of his team wasn't doing their jobs and

B: pretty likely without those 3 TD's his team would never been in the game to start with.

That's what I say.

Give me the guy who wins games all day every day.

all that other stuff is nothing more then message board fodder.

Does Trent Dilfers superbowl ring count any less then Tom Brady's? Or did Tom Brady's first ring count any less then Kurt Warners?

Nope at the end of the day it is the guy who won that people remember.

No i did not , the point is still valid though

Yeah Ryan and his crew had a full offseason............. but so did everyone else in the nfl.

Yeah Newton had a shortened off season...... but so did everyone else.

You did miss it.

OK

We are comparing the 2008 Falcons to the 2011 Panthers (Ryan's to Cam's rookie seasons). At no point are we comparing 2007 Jags to the 1995 Colts.

The falcons in 2008 didn't have as many injuries or wasn't lockout for all the offseason. So Ryan had a full offseason and most of his teammates his rookie year. Cam didn't get a full offseason and his team is missing 16 player 8 being starter. Even better Cam is missing his 2nd wr and the right side of his oline.

Does Trent Dilfers superbowl ring count any less then Tom Brady's? Or did Tom Brady's first ring count any less then Kurt Warners?

Yes it does actually.

Peyton, Eli and Trent all have 1 superbowl ring. Which 2 will are more remebered for them makeing plays to win their ring ? And who was carreid to win his?

2nd on the list of superbowl winning QB why does Dilffer rank behind everybody else?

You guys are the one's who always down Dilfers ring, not me.

So who would you pick to be QB in your Super Bowl if you could know just the stats, not the score ahead of time..the 2-8 guy with 69 yards or the 3TD guy with 70% completion and 1 int?

I mean, if stats don't matter...right?

How many games are you gonna win 2-8 with 69 yards, if winning matters more than stats?

What does that PERIOD mean?

1. The guy who wrote that article gets paid for his Opinion. You well ---------------Don't

2. Ryan hasn't won a playoff game does that mean Trent Differ a better QB then Him? NO

3. To put the period at the end of somthing you would have to be the end all to be all in football knowlege. You're

wait for it

wait for it

NOT!

someone who was a Football God said the same thing

Winning is not every thing, its the only thing

sooooo yea

PERIOD

So who would you pick to be QB in your Super Bowl if you could know just the stats, not the score ahead of time..the 2-8 guy with 69 yards or the 3TD guy with 70% completion and 1 int?

How many games are you gonna win 2-8 with 69 yards, if winning matters more than stats?

PP they will also not use this winning thing when talking about a certain Cowboy QB. Actually this argument is used in reverse most of the time.

You did miss it.

OK

We are comparing the 2008 Falcons to the 2011 Panthers (Ryan's to Cam's rookie seasons). At no point are we comparing 2007 Jags to the 1995 Colts.

The falcons in 2008 didn't have as many injuries or wasn't lockout for all the offseason. So Ryan had a full offseason and most of his teammates his rookie year. Cam didn't get a full offseason and his team is missing 16 player 8 being starter. Even better Cam is missing his 2nd wr and the right side of his oline.

You want to make it seem like Cam was at some sort of disadvantage compared to ryan..... Not true.

Yea Cam had a shorter off season but so did every single defense in the nfl.

Once again most of those starters you keep bringing up umm I hate to tell you but THEY FKING SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the exception of a guy like Beason..It is comical you keep bringing up guys that were a major reason as to why you even were able to draft Cam in the first place.

Once again Carolina had the most cap room in the nfl and in stead of going out and getting things like a wr opposite of steve smith they give fat bloated contract to guys like Davis who has major injury issues.

Instead of trading Williams when they were able and getting other valuable pieces they signed him to a MASSIVE deal......and then processed NOT ot use him.

There is a whole lot more reasons why the panthers will still be picking in the upper half of the draft then just injuries.

Not many, that is an extreme example.

But who you pick is meaningless,,,,,,,,,,,,,who wins that is what is important.

After all isn't that what you always say when talking about the falcons?

"dallas and the falcons won the same number of playoff games last year so they are even"

to loosely paraphrase you.

So what matters most ?? Winning or having better stats?

The fear is strong in you, young padawan.

Newton is a great athlete and if he works hard and hones in on what he needs to work on he could become a force.

But he has to prove he can do that before anyone really " fears him"

I know the comparison has been made but it is similar to when Vick started.

Teams did not know what to make of him until it became apparent he did not adjust.

Enough derailing.

Most rookie qbs are expected to come in, not try to carry their team in any way..and just try to limit their mistakes, while the rest of the team carries them.

Newton has been a new breed of rookie qb. One not asked to just be meek, and not take risks. He's top 5 in total TDs. top 5 in total yards. Top 5 in turnovers as well, which comes with being a first year player, asked to do so much.

The fact that some Falcon fans.........are trying to compare him with Ryan........is a testament to that of Newton. Most people are used to Newton racking up TDs, racking up yards.... that he's not treated or talked about like a rookie. Like Dalton, Ponder, Locker, Yates are.. or how Ryan and Flacco were.

The new breed of Qb. Some of them will come in with the expectations to carry an offense right away, like Newton is.

Oh please. there are dudes on this forum that feel fine with comparing Fourth year Ryan to:

Ten year vet multiple Super Bowl winning MVP Tom Brady...

Ten Year vet SB winning MVP Drew Brees...

and so on.

The more succes you claim for your rookie, the more he will/should be compared to the greats of today. That's just how it goes. Should we compare Cam's records to other rookie records???

I don't know. Should we compare Ryan's stats to other Fourth year QB's stats? Or to the stats among the elite qb's of our time???

Newton is a great athlete and if he works hard and hones in on what he needs to work on he could become a force.

But he has to prove he can do that before anyone really " fears him"

I know the comparison has been made but it is similar to when Vick started.

Teams did not know what to make of him until it became apparent he did not adjust.

exactly. cam has shown flashes of great potential. the question remains, can he take the next step in his development? can he learn what to do when defenses take away options? can he learn the ways to cut down on the turnovers?

athletic ability will only get you so far in this league.

exactly. cam has shown flashes of great potential. the question remains, can he take the next step in his development? can he learn what to do when defenses take away options? can he learn the ways to cut down on the turnovers?

athletic ability will only get you so far in this league.

Yup just ask Vince young.

probably as athletic of a qb as there is in the nfl.......a top 10 pick.............and just 6 short years later he is a back up to a team that Probably won't even make the playoffs. *crosses fingers*

Agreed. The qb comparison between VY and Newton.........is obviously dead on.

VY lit it up his rookie season, with 2,200 passing yards. 2,700 total yards. 19 total TDs and a comp% just over 50.

Why not find another rookie qb, that has similar stats to Newton, to compare him to. He'll finish with close to, if not over, 4k yards, 4,700 total yards. around 34 TD.. How do those kind of rookie qbs do in their 2nd years?

Agreed. The qb comparison between VY and Newton.........is obviously dead on.

VY lit it up his rookie season, with 2,200 passing yards. 2,700 total yards. 19 total TDs and a comp% just over 50.

Why not find another rookie qb, that has similar stats to Newton, to compare him to. He'll finish with close to, if not over, 4k yards, 4,700 total yards. around 34 TD.. How do those kind of rookie qbs do in their 2nd years?

Vince young also only started 13 games a rookie,

The arrogance and ignorance you are showing is the thing I hope for your sake Newton is NOT showing.

I notice you keep leaving out Newtons Turnovers too.

Yeah he has 30 tds.................but also has 20 turnovers.

The arrogance and ignorance you are showing is the thing I hope for your sake Newton is NOT showing.

;) Well, with 1 more game (14)... Newton has +1700 yards, +11 TD.

So...again, the comparison is nonexistent.

Tell me about other rookie qbs with comparable stats to Newton.. I'm curious how they did in the 2nd year.

Cam has played in "1" more game then Young and has 1700 more yards and 11 more TD and you're saying somebody else is bringing ignorance to this thread?

The lack of most of an offseason for a ROOKIE QB that may experts insisted was not pro-ready is significant, sorry haters. What Cam has done is impressive, and I'm afraid it's mostly going to be uphill from here for the Panthers. Imagine Vick wasn't an idiot...

ph34r.png

The same person said it was a disadvantge before the season started and would be the reason Cam would fail this season. Now he changes his tune to fit his argument.

Typical falcon fan tactic.