This Was Not Matt Ryan's Fault

It was his receivers fault that this game didn't at least go to overtime. Matt Ryan gave us a chance to win. He may not have played a good game, but when it mattered he made the necessary throws to put is in a position to tie the game. Unfortunately Julio dropped a surefire TD and cost us the game. Don't blame Matty for this one guys. His receivers couldn't catch the ball all day!

Ryan played better as the game progressed but those first 2 misses that he had to White and Jones would have been huge plays and are squarely on him.

Yeah.

What I REALLY hate is that if you see a WR open deep and Brees, Rogers, or most other NFL QBs you know they're going to connect.

With Ryan it fells like a 50/50 shot at best.

The coaching staff needs to figure out how to get him to improve. Maybe Ryan needs to have a month in the offseason where thats all he works on instead of glorified flag football practice that he had this past offseason.

Edited by Sun Tzu 7

It was his receivers fault that this game didn't at least go to overtime. Matt Ryan gave us a chance to win. He may not have played a good game, but when it mattered he made the necessary throws to put is in a position to tie the game. Unfortunately Julio dropped a surefire TD and cost us the game. Don't blame Matty for this one guys. His receivers couldn't catch the ball all day!

Laying blame, finger-pointing, and making accusations are the hallmarks of a losing team surrounded by a culture of losing. Football is a team sport. Who is to blame is only an important consideration if there is a fix immediately following.

"Its the WR's fault!" Accurate, but pointless.

"Its the WR's fault, and we need to bench or cut someone, or need the positional coaches to drill fundamentals and make them sleep with a football". Also accurate, but now with a point.

Yeah.

What I REALLY hate is that if you see an open WR and Brees, Rogers, or most other NFL QBs you know they're going to connect.

With Ryan it fells like a 50/50 shot at best.

The coaching staff needs to figure out how to get him to improve. Maybe Ryan needs to have a month in the offseason where thats all he works on instead of glorified flag football practice that he had this past offseason.

Again, continuing my theme from my last post: Ryan will improve with an OC who knows how to utilize him in a manner that showcases his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses. Matt Ryan needs an OC who will institute a West Coast Offense. Quick reads, quick decisions, short-to-intermediate throws. Big physical receivers who can turn slants into big gains. Quick throws mean the offensive line does not need to hold blocks for very long. We would need to draft/sign an all-purpose back adept at running, receiving, and blocking. Otherwise, we're pretty much set.

Again, continuing my theme from my last post: Ryan will improve with an OC who knows how to utilize him in a manner that showcases his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses. Matt Ryan needs an OC who will institute a West Coast Offense. Quick reads, quick decisions, short-to-intermediate throws. Big physical receivers who can turn slants into big gains. Quick throws mean the offensive line does not need to hold blocks for very long. We would need to draft/sign an all-purpose back adept at running, receiving, and blocking. Otherwise, we're pretty much set.

Best post I have ever read from you...agree totally.

2 overthrows in the beginning, 2 ints and 2 delay of game penalties. sounds like he has some blame in there to me.

Yep....Ryan definitely wasn't helped as the game progressed by the drops but he was waaaaay off early and often.

guess you missed the deep ball? go look at the first three plays and tell me this is not Matt Ryans fault!

I'll recap the announcer "Roddy white wide *** open, Matt throws......ohhhhh it is over thrown"

third possesion "now Julio Jones is wide *** open, matt settles his feet, Matt throws hard.....wow again over thrown and Julio tried to dive".

want to know what hurts a wide reciever? Him trying to over do it so he looks good. Hamstring, Hamstring, and next will be a chect injury trying to make diving catches.

face it you know I am right.

EDIT: then when Julio goes out with an injury I bet all my money in a back account you all will say "wow 5 draft picks for a hurt norwood type player". but no one will say "This guy has tried hard, and when the ball is close he made the catch, and when the ball was hard he dived trying".

while White watches it sail over his head, Julio tries.

and yes it is easy to say Julio dropped the game "tieing" catch. but if White could have caught his, if Ryan could have thrown the deep ball; then none of this would have been a question.

Edited by Human2012
Ryan played better as the game progressed but those first 2 misses that he had to White and Jones would have been huge plays and are squarely on him.

I agree, he got better, but those two were two clear missed chances. He has to complete a few passes fist to get in a groove, we should not have gone deep early on the first drive two times though.

I love when we win Matt Ryan is the reason, but when we lose it is not his fault posts. I agree Op it is not entirely his fault, but he was a big part of the losing puzzle that we put together. It was a entire team loss. Although the defense played a good game. The offense have to get some good drives going to give these guys a break out there.

You guys are seeming to forget that we scored 14 more points than were put on the scoreboard. The Fumble recovery for a TD was a freak play, but the INT by Pete was legit. Both called back. As bad as everyone played yesterday, the game would've been over if it weren't for a freak play and a holding call...

I agree those bs plays really caused us , but that is just part of the game sometimes. Our offense still should have been able to overcome those at some point. Good teams don't make excuses with bad calls, they take it and still handle their business.

I've been thinking we've needed a new OC for a while now but I haven't really thought of the Bill Walsh/West Coast offense. I was thinking more of Charlie Weiss but you do make some great points.

He shares equally in the blame with our butter fingered receivers, alot of his throws were off ......but again every time he has a bad game the idiots come out here at TATF to trash him ......we can not blame the coaches for this one either it was lack of execution by our players pure and simple .....Ryan had a bad game, so what ? ......

I agree that Matt needs to take a lot of the blame...i know receivers dropped passes, but only scoring 10 points won't beat anyone in this league...I thought our D played well enough for us to win...held them to 7 points in the second half and the D just got exhausted as a result of being on the field too much...would have helped if our O moved the chains a little. Matt's deep balls in the first quarter were huge misses...both looked like if a good throw was made they would have gone for 6.

I hated the call on matt's first pick...our o-line couldn't block all day and this was pretty evident...that is a play that needs time to develop and i would have saved that for later in the game where I have a better assessment on how much time ryan is getting in the pocket...i don't think there is any chance we call that play in the second half after watching matt get hit so often

Hit one of those passes on the first drive, and who knows what might have happened? Totally different complexion of the game, in terms of confidence and momentum.

Matt shares plenty of the blame ... along with the WR's who can't catch the good passes, Dunta who negates a pick-6, the coaching staff that can't seem to turn all our excellent parts into a cohesive whole ...

What a disaster that game was.

We have Julio and HD (although not big) who fit that bill. Most of our big passing days have been from slants and short yardage catches turned into long completions. It surely isn't from Ryan throwing bombs. Thats not his skill set. I dont know who else you could realistically bring in here to help. We have a pro bowl WR, a all world rookie WR, a future hall of fame TE, and a perfect slant WR. I mean im open to suggestions.

So convincing evidence that Ryan and the receivers played poorly has been presented in this thread. Now then: Are these players just not that good (i.e., not as good as their counterparts on the Saints, Packers, Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Texans and 49ers -- the teams with better records), or is this a matter of coaching?

I think the receivers are just fine. I think if you replace Jennings, Nelson, James Jones and Finley with Roddy, Julio, Harry and Tony, the Packers would be the same exact team. Still undefeated. And if you bring the Packs receivers here, we'd be the same exact team too. No better. I think Ryan is well below elite, but serviceable, given the right coaching. I think the coaches aren't tailoring the offense to the limited skill set of the quarterback. The setback from last year is hard to explain, and I can't put it all on the O-line.