We Need To Cheer For Anybody That Plays Det Or Nyg!

Everything I'm about to type assumes NO beats Det and NYG at home in the next 3 weeks. If either Det or NYG were to win at NO then that would be a sweet, unexpected bonus!

Hear me out please.....

NO clearly has control of the NFCS and let's assume that they win the Division, therefore the Birds are playing for one of two WC spots.

I can see the Birds finishing 10-6 with losses at Houston and NO, but this was before the news about Schaub being done for the year broke. Let's assume the Birds finish 10-6 anyway.

Chicago - their schedule looks good for them and they hold a tie-breaker over us. I see them finishing 11-5 at the worst. There goes one WC spot.

That leaves the Birds to fight with Det, NYG and Dallas (sorry TB - you guys are trending down so I'm leaving out of the analysis for now).

Detroit's schedule is tough and I can see them finishing 9-7 or 10-6 at best - plus we have the tie-breaker over them.

Dallas' schedule is pretty favourable. I can see them finishing 11-5 and winning the NFCE.

NYG have a brutal schedule, I can see them finishing at 10-6. Then the tie-breaker with the Birds would be conference record. The toughest part of the NYG's conference schedule is coming up (Philly, GB, Dallas at home; NO and Dallas on the road) compared to Atlanta's (Minny, TB at home; Car, NO on the road). The Birds are 4-4 in the conference right now (NYG are 3-3) - they cannot lose two more conference games IMO.

I really think 10-6 with a 7-5 conference record gets us in.

All of this is just mental 'beating-off' as we all know the scenarios will change week-to-week; but I thought it would be an interesting food for thought.

Edited by Bart2Ryan+beyond

this is what crucial losses does to our fan base ....we start speculating! you start depending on other teams to do us favors.

Let's smell the coffee here....we about to face a team who can shock us with a big L. They are 5-4 & building confidence. I would worry about beating them & consider these options later because we cant control a **** thing unless, our team dont win games.

Edited by mattyicefalcon

With Schaub injured, that kinda changes the landscape for the Texans game for us. If we can pressure Leinart, that's pretty much a W for the Falcons.

With the way Abraham & Edwards are playing it will always be a probablity. I've given up on Biermann since he's offcially in honeymoon phase. Left, are lone warriors Peters & Babineax let's see what they come up with.

Even thought it's Leinart, I have my doubts about us being able to pressure him given that we didn't touch Brees at all and didn't act like we wanted to. Even a mediocre QB like Leinart can have a good day if we play him like we did Brees.

Exactly....I've given up on Abraham & Edwards.

We made Seattle's T.J look like an elite QB...we were fortunate that they missed that field goal.

To be honest, if it was not for D-BLOCK ....we would be in the cellar right now.

this is what crucial losses does to our fan base ....we start speculating! you start depending on other teams to do us favors.

Let's smell the coffee here....we about to face a team who can shock us with a big L. They are 5-4 & building confidence. I would worry about beating them & consider these options later because we cant control a **** thing unless, our team dont win games.

No argument there - beating Tenn is not a given, especially now that Chris Johnson woke up this past week at Carolina.

I know I'm being a nay says and even though I really hope we pull it together, I use to have a philisophy when I bet on games and it was this "once your down and get to the point your doing the math in your head on how many points it will take to cover, you've already lost" I hope that's not that case for us but when I was betting it was always the case for me.

No argument there - beating Tenn is not a given, especially now that Chris Johnson woke up this past week at Carolina.

Everybody runs good on Carolina. They lost two big time linebackers for the season. Why has everyone given up on the division? The Saints has one game on us for the division. The Bucs may be on a decline. We still have to play them in New Orleans. We are still just one game behind. them. Keep in mind, the Saints have the Giants, and Eli is playing like Peyton. They have a pissed off Detroit Lions Defense, Tennessee, Minnesota, Atlanta, and Carolina. All good running teams. Think about it before you write us off in the division.

Everybody runs good on Carolina. They lost two big time linebackers for the season. Why has everyone given up on the division? The Saints has one game on us for the division. The Bucs may be on a decline. We still have to play them in New Orleans. We are still just one game behind. them. Keep in mind, the Saints have the Giants, and Eli is playing like Peyton. They have a pissed off Detroit Lions Defense, Tennessee, Minnesota, Atlanta, and Carolina. All good running teams. Think about it before you write us off in the division.

I'm not writing us off to win the Division - I just wanted to look forward to see what the possible WC situation could be.

I don't see why we'd be cheering against the Giants. They're going to win their division by default. The Redskins are terrible, the Dream Team is a nightmare, and the Cowboys will find a way to blow it.

Check out their schedules. Dallas' is much better the NYG.

Even thought it's Leinart, I have my doubts about us being able to pressure him given that we didn't touch Brees at all and didn't act like we wanted to. Even a mediocre QB like Leinart can have a good day if we play him like we did Brees.

Just what I was thinking when Leniart was almost disregarded as a threat to our defensive secondary. If the dude couldn't play, he wouldn't be there. And as Bankerbird alluded to, we didn't lay a glove on Drew Brees Sunday. Not one finger. All. Freaking. Game. This won't be easy, but it is winnable.

I'm still going to be rooting for the saints to lose and the falcons to win and take the division from them in december. Just bc we lost a thriller to the saints (which i didnt even get to see angry.png ) you are already looking for ways for us to get in by other teams losing? you don't win super bowls by teams losing to get you in, you control your own destiny like the packers did. I know they were a wild card team but the became a dangerous team in dec-jan and at 9-0 they still look pretty dam dangerous. Going 12-4 isn't impossible, not likely but is possible.

you control your own destiny like the packers did.

The Packers did anything but control their own destiny. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Giants don't allow Jackson to return that punt at the end of the game, the Packers aren't even in the playoffs last year.

I understand your point and agree with you, though.

Edited by Sven

No way do I want to see the Cowboys in the Playoffs, I can't stand them. So I will always go against them and hope the Giants take that division. The Cowboys & Giants still need to play twice so I am hoping for a Giants sweep which would give the Cowboys 6 losses and if they lose just one more time to get 7 losses they are probably done.

Lions I think are going to have trouble with the Packers (twice), Saints, Raiders & Chargers. We just need them to lose at least 3 of these to go no better than 10-6.

So if we finish at least 10-6 we should be in. But First win the next 2 (Titans & Vikings) and hope the Giants beat the Saints to tie us both up at 7-4 with us still another shot at the Saints and the new season begins there.

The Packers did anything but control their own destiny. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Giants don't allow Jackson to return that punt at the end of the game, the Packers aren't even in the playoffs last year.

you are absolutely right, the giants would have gotten the wild card spot instead, and we could have possibly been in the superbowl by playing the giants and bears at home. it hurts to think about how such a fluke play by the eagles helped catapult the packers to playoff stardom

edit: I also dont think there is anything wrong with speculating on losses for other teams, its all in good fun. obviously its impossible to predict these kinds of things and whats really important is that the falcons just win as much as possible, cant bother worrying about everyone else. if we just win, we did what we could and that is that

Edited by AthensDirtyBird

The way it looks right now....I think the Falcons will go 10-6. Giants probably 10-6 although as difficult as there schedule is....9-7 would not surprise me. Detroit looks like 10-6...they have 2 more games against the Pack. Cowboys look to be rolling now...looks like 11-5 for them. SF is on there way. Yep...I think the wicked witch of the nfc west has returned!

On paper...Falcons should beat Ten...Jax...TB...Min and @ Car. Losses @ Hou and @ NO. That would give us a conf record of 7-5. We hold the tie breaker against Det and the Giants conf record will be the deciding factor I think.

At any rate If the Falcons get the #2 wc...1st game will probably be at New Orleans or at Dallas. I'd love to see this Falcons team travel to Dallas and knock them out of the playoffs. Lots of bitter memories for me in that 78 and that 80 playoff game in particular. I've been waiting for payback a long time. Win that and its off to Lambeau! All I can tell you then is to remember 03!

No reason to give the Saints the division yet- Falcons win their next two and NO loses to NYG after their bye and we're both 7-4. Have to win in NO, but they did that last year.

And Saints are perfectly capable of losing to a bad team

Think the falcons have to be 11-5 to get to the playoffs. Think they can get there.

Take the heart of the team that played last sunday, add in a little more discipline and smart decisions, that team can take anybody.

Edited: Oh, and Cutler is still capable of throwing 6 picks in any given game, lets root for Chicago losses as well.

And I think that the team sacrificed pass rush to contain Sproles and Graham- except for a couple of breakdowns in the secondary, it worked well. Expect to see much more pass rush against Tenn.

The best thing we have going for us the next two games are that we're at home. We are still stout against the run and thats what both Tenn and Minn want to do. So I think our chances of winning the next two are very good. With theTexans losing Schaub our chances of winning that game also increase because with Leinart and with him being left handed they have to change the complexity of their offense. They will definitely lean on their running game a lot more but once again thats our defenses strong point. So I think we are very much still in the division race if N.O. stumbles. The only problem with that is all the Saints "tough" opponents have to go to the Superdome.

Plus on that very same day as the Giants-Philly game, TB was at home to Det. The Lions had a 26 game road losing streak at the time (an NFL record). TB let them get a game-tying FG to send it into OT and the Lions went on to win. TB finished 10-6 and still allowed Det to beat them at home. Had that not happened then GB is out and not a SB champ.

But I hear ya - 'championship teams take care of themselves' is the mantra of the powerhouse teams, but there are plenty of examples of WC teams winning the SB and trust me they got help, with GB being the perfect example.

Anyway, I haven't given up on the division, but I just wanted to look down the road to see what our WC prospects could be. It would all be a moot point if we don't beat Tenn at home this Sunday.