None Of The Talking Heads Agree With The Decision To Go For It

Supes™

I'm not going to lie. I liked going for it there and I was screaming for it before the play....However, I absolutely hated the play that was run.......

You have 11 Saints stacking the line and you run exactly what they are expecting? I knew when I saw Ryan turn to hand the ball off that the game was essentially over. Arrogance on either Mularkey or Smith's part with the play itself.

Loved going for it. Much like Lincoln I hated the play.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely *****. Just saying, it was a poor decision in that situation IMO.

I didn't mean you specifically but the board in general. I think we were in a similar situation at home last year, except it was in regulation where we punted the ball instead of going for it and the game ended. People complained because we weren't aggressive in that situation. The decision to go for it was rght, play call... not so much.

I'm not going to lie. I liked going for it there and I was screaming for it before the play....However, I absolutely hated the play that was run.......

You have 11 Saints stacking the line and you run exactly what they are expecting? I knew when I saw Ryan turn to hand the ball off that the game was essentially over. Arrogance on either Mularkey or Smith's part with the play itself.

Loved going for it. Much like Lincoln I hated the play.

biggrin.png

oh I agree with Coach Smith, I would have gone for it also.....but instead of running up the middle, I'd scooted around the end......on a little bit of trickery maneuver, ......I think Turner would have made it with an end around.........just me , tho....at any rate, I would have gone for it too.

And what play would you have called, o wise one? A triple reverse Statue of Liberty? 'Cause I'm tellin' ya, after watching the play 12 times today, a QB sneak wasn't gonna get it done either! tongue.png

They needed to try to get them to jump offsides first. That would result in 1) them jumping offsides...first down or 2) them not being able to just tee off on the snap...they'd be on their heels.

That was the biggest problem. You have to take advantage of them selling out so hard.

Yeah, but here's the thing: It's not like another set of downs would have put us in field goal range. Far from it.

Again, had we had the ball at midfield or a little beyond, going for it then would have made more sense.

I don't agree.. If we were in the same 4th down situation around the 50 yard line, you definately punt it and give the saints the worst field position possible. They might have to go 60-70 yards to get into FG range. It is possible to hold them off with this field position.

If you go for it on the 50 yard line and don't get it, it would almost be as bad as going for it on our own 29 like it happened yesterday.. The fact that they have an extra 20 yards to go (compared to going for it on own 29) is pretty much irrelevant when they still only have 20-25 yards to go for a FG. It is almost impossible to hold them off with this field position..

I think it was the right call yesterday. But the wrong playcall.

Edited by niels petersen

Even if we convert that fourth down, we can't be sure the offense would've gone on down the field and scored. Yeah we would like to think so, but we'd already fizzled on the opening OT drive. But by going for it so deep in our territory, the game was going to be over if we don't make it. Can't be the right decision. No way.

No we might not have scored on that drive, but by converting the 4th down, we would be sure that we kept the saints from scoring and winning the game. And at the very least, we would make sure they would get worse field position, than if we punted right away.

The opportunity to keep the drive going, and possibly score to win the game, is worth the gamble when you only need two inches.. That is a very managable 4th down, and every decent OC should have a couple of different plays up his sleeve for that kind of situation, and use them according to what the defense is going after.

And what play would you have called, o wise one? A triple reverse Statue of Liberty? 'Cause I'm tellin' ya, after watching the play 12 times today, a QB sneak wasn't gonna get it done either! tongue.png

You don't know that a sneak wouldn't have worked. Just because any possible seam or crack was sealed by the time Turner got to the line doesn't mean that a crack wasn't there when the ball was hiked.

Apples and oranges Mr. Supes.

You don't know that a sneak wouldn't have worked.

Ooooh yes I do. Watch the play. Everybody on our side of the ball went backwards except Turner and because of that, he couldn't get far enough forward. Ryan woulda got killed trying to sneak that rock! Our o-line got completly man-handled and bowled over on that play, including McClure. If you didn't see it that way, you musta been watching a different game than me.wink.png

Ooooh yes I do. Watch the play. Everybody on our side of the ball went backwards except Turner and because of that, he couldn't get far enough forward. Ryan woulda got killed trying to sneak that rock! Our o-line got completly man-handled and bowled over on that play, including McClure. If you didn't see it that way, you musta been watching a different game than me.wink.png

How can you be so sure though?

I'm not saying that a Ryan sneak would have worked for sure....but since the only angle any of us had was a side angle and not that 'from the running back's POV' view you sometimes get (when the camera is suspended above the field usually) then we don't really know if there was even a possible tiny area for Ryan to get through.

Remember this Mr. Supes....even with all of the Saints pushing our O-line backwards that doesn't necessarily mean that there still wasn't a seam for Ryan to lean through.

I'm not sure it would have worked at all. I don't see how you can be so positive that it would not have.

It is what it is a loss. I don't mind the decision and if it had worked out and we won the game this thread wouldn't exist. That being said i believe that we will see some coaching changes next year baring a deep run in the playoffs, this team has to much talent to be involved in all of the nail biters that they are in. This team as a whole lacks discipline and that starts with coaching.

Terry Bradshaw: "Mike Smith, what in the WORLD were you thinking?"

Antonio Pierce: "I play my young son in Madden and he always goes for it on 4th down when he doesn't have to."

Herm Edwards: "It was an EMOTIONAL decision, and a bad one."

There's a general consensus that the decision was also a slap in the face to the D, who had been playing very well in the 4th and had just stopped a Saints drive.

Fans are always in the stands yelling "GO FOR IT! GO FOR IT! GO FOR IT!" in situations like that. Unfortunately, Smitty listened to 'em yesterday and here we are. If we had had the ball @ midfield or a little beyond, then yes. But inside our own 30 in OT? Emotions aside, it was a poor decision, folks. You can blame the results on the play call itself, but it was still a poor decision.

I was one of them fans and I stick with Smitty