Should Uga Bench Kicker Blair Walsh

scottp12

Should UGA Kicker Blair Walsh be Benched?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should UGA Bench Blair Walsh?

• Yes, bench him permanently
    • Yes, bench him and see how the backup does
    • Yes, bench him and hope that gets him zoned back in
    • No, let him work through his struggles

that doesn't mean anything to our discussion we know about fabris, but when you have a freshman in blair walsh who wasn't consistent in kickoffs or in field goals you bring in a guy to compete with him. again it was a good pickup at that time and the fortunate thing is blair walsh improved (having competition is always a good thing). hopefully blair walsh gets it turned aroud sooner rather than later.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Special teams in general is a train wreck. I don't know what the best way to go is. A kicker that's missing is just like a golfer with the shanks or yips. It may be mechanics, but most likely it's mental. And every player is different, some can work through it and others do well with some time off. I've seen both work...for golfers that is.

As far as Bog not getting it done in practice......BW isn't getting it done in games. Which is more important.

I say alternate between the 2 kickers against NMST and the best "gameday" kicker wins. Just a thought.

Edited by DeaconDawg

Special teams in general is a train wreck. I don't know what the best way to go is. A kicker that's missing is just like a golfer with the shanks or yips. It may be mechanics, but most likely it's mental. And every player is different, some can work through it and others do well with some time off. I've seen both work...for golfers that is.

As far as Bog not getting it done in practice......BW isn't getting it done in games. Which is more important.

I say alternate between the 2 kickers against NMST and the best "gameday" kicker wins. Just a thought.

This is an excellent point. Bogotay can't really be performing that much worse than Walsh. I mean honestly Walsh has been that bad. If Bogotay is that much worse than Walsh then he never should have been allowed on the team to begin with.

One good thing about all this is that I thought one of the biggest weaknesses going into next year would be the loss of all our kicking experience and replacing all americans. While that could be the case for Butler still, replacing Walsh should be much easier. I hope Morgan stays away from whatever Walsh has that is doing this to him

Edited by scottp12

Quote from Blair about his struggles: "It’s not that big of a deal," he said. "I’m not going out there and just wanking them or not even coming close, it’s just a couple of things that have to get corrected and have to get solved."

When your only job is to kick a ball, how long does it take to correct this problem??? hmmmmmm

Walsh has struggled, but there is no alternative. On kickoffs with our struggles we may have to accept squib kicks, directional, etc., or put our starters on the special team squad. Look with our defense I will gladly give them the ball at the 30-35 each time. Much better than six points. On field goals, Walsh has to just break through mentally.

Walsh has struggled, but there is no alternative. On kickoffs with our struggles we may have to accept squib kicks, directional, etc., or put our starters on the special team squad. Look with our defense I will gladly give them the ball at the 30-35 each time. Much better than six points. On field goals, Walsh has to just break through mentally.

yup, and I'd give guys who play special teams special privileges and tell the position coaches that they can't hold back any of their guys from volunteering for special teams

do like meyer and others have done: treat your special teams guys better than the rest of the team and you'll have your best palyers out there instead of a bunch of walk-ons

i will say that again so people get it: THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE. so we go with Blair Walsh and we hope he works out his stuff. oh btw CMR endorses that.. lol

yup, and I'd give guys who play special teams special privileges and tell the position coaches that they can't hold back any of their guys from volunteering for special teams

do like meyer and others have done: treat your special teams guys better than the rest of the team and you'll have your best palyers out there instead of a bunch of walk-ons

smile.png

“We are challenging a lot of the guys who play more scrimmage downs to get

involved in more than just the opening kickoff,” he said. “I think everybody

can understand how crucial that play is, so there will be other guys

involved personnel-wise.”Richt cited players not avoiding blocks and

covering gaps and then “ad-libbing” during plays. “Early in the year, we were

doing some things fundamentally extremely well,” Richt said. “Then it got

especially sloppy in this last ballgame.” http://www.macon.com...cial-teams.html

Cornerbacks Brandon Boykin, Sanders Commings and Branden Smith and linebackers Amarlo Herrera and Ray Drew worked on the coverage unit during Tuesday afternoon’s practice.

http://onlineathens....x-coverage-woes

Edited by Billy Ocean