Which Falcon Gm Had The Best Acquisitions In His First Four Years?

TD was voted by his fellow GMs to be the best GM in the business 2 out of his first 3 years! Who can recognize a good GM better than the other NFL GMs? Have the Falcons ever had a GM before that was ever voted the best in the NFL by his peers even once?

The visceral response that TD elicits from trolls is evidence of the respect they have for him. The same visceral response they have to Roddy and Matty and anyone else they feel is a threat and gets media attention which they hate.

I am not saying TD hasn't made mistakes, but he is certainly the best GM. You can not compare his players, who range from rookies to 3 year vets, to 8 and 9 year veterans. In 2007, our entire 2005 draft class looked like a bust. Roddy was a bust, Babs was a non factor, etc.

Also, you are only comparing the best acquisitions, while ignoring the entirety of the roster. I feel the depth we have on the roster is superior than anything the other GMs gave us.

Reaves and McKay were so good that they couldn't even get another job after we fired them. One had to retire and the other had to go to the business side. TD would not have a problem getting another job.

I think that was because McKay liked prospects potential more than guys who are polished. They look for a different type of player.

TD likes polished character guys who have good Football IQ.

McKay likes size, speed, and potential.

TD is becoming more of a risk taker as you can't be conservative and expect win titles in this league without playmakers. McKay had playmakers but he didn't have the depth or solid players at all positions like TD is trying to do. TD also is very active and very smart but he will not bet the house if he is not sure. McKay while active will not bet the house no matter WHAT.

Both GM's have preferred schools. For McKay it was UGA, VT, and Arkansas. For TD, it is Alabama.

Edited by #1 pick

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, but there's probably nothing I could ever say to change your mind.

Everyone's likes the HR ball. It's exciting. However, I underlined the single most critical point in your comment.

As good as Rodgers was last year, without an "elite" defense he doesn't sniff the Super Bowl, same with the defense with New Orleans in the 2010 Super Bowl and the Pittsburgh defense in 2009...and on, and on, and on c!

Pair Matt Ryan with a top 5 or maybe 10 defense on a consistent basis and the "game manager" as you call him, will compete for a Super Bowl every single season just as Roethlisberger, Flacco, Sanchez, Brees, and now Rodger are doing.

The Falcons ranked 24 in total defense, in 2008, 21 in 2009, 16 last season (13-3 record) and now back down in the 20's again this season. This, my friend, is the primary--if not exclusive--difference between Matt Ryan ad other QB's whose job is to "manage" the offense.

Everyone likes the HR ball is true but if all you hit is HR's like Adam Dunn and nothing else, you won't accomplish nothing when it matters for your team. i.e. Flacco.

Look at Ichiro Suzuki. He doesn't hit many HR's but he drives in a lot of runs and RBI's by hits, base running, and his ungodly hand-eye coordination skills. I would say Ichiro would be like Tom Brady in a cross sport reference. Tom doesn't beat you deep a lot. He can but he doesn't have to, he can score in many different ways.

To be truly great, you must score runs and score them often. Matt Ryan would be Walt Weiss. Came unto the scene strong and won ROY. Good player, had average tools, a great work ethic, had a plus glove, and he brought a lot of intangibles to the diamond. Matt Ryan is similar in a cross sport reference. He will never carry a team because he just doesn't have tools to do so, he has a great work ethic, and brings a lot of intangibles.

You need a defense but that Packer defense was not elite. They give up a lot of points at times and can be hit or miss in coverage. Even last year. New Orleans defense the year they won was a less Football IQ version of our defense today. In fact, QB aside, we are superior to that New Orleans Super Bowl team but the QB gap is as wide as the Sahara.

The last elite defense was Tampa and Baltimore defense. The New York Giants had a very good defense and an elite defensive line. Pitt had a very good defense as well. I haven't seen an elite defense in years. It's hard to get two to three HOF's on defense. Extremely hard to get just one.

Falcons are bend and don't break. The most important stat for them defensively is points allowed and turnovers.

Edited by #1 pick

I disagree, but there's probably nothing I could ever say to change your mind.

Everyone's likes the HR ball. It's exciting. However, I underlined the single most critical point in your comment.

As good as Rodgers was last year, without an "elite" defense he doesn't sniff the Super Bowl, same with the defense with New Orleans in the 2010 Super Bowl and the Pittsburgh defense in 2009...and on, and on, and on!

Pair Matt Ryan with a top 5 or maybe 10 defense on a consistent basis and the "game manager" as you call him, will compete for a Super Bowl every single season just as Roethlisberger, Flacco, Sanchez, Brees, and now Rodger are doing.

The Falcons ranked 24 in total defense, in 2008, 21 in 2009, 16 last season (13-3 record) and now back down in the 20's again this season. This, my friend, is the primary--if not exclusive--difference between Matt Ryan ad other QB's whose job is to "manage" the offense.

One VERY over-looked Aaron Rodgers topic: He is one concussion away from "uh oh" (TWO last year).

One VERY over-looked Aaron Rodgers topic: He is one concussion away from "uh oh" (TWO last year).

I bring it up that Rodgers had issues holding the ball too long in the past and was injury prone but those days seem behind him now.

Edited by #1 pick

It's not OK by me. Nor by many NFL experts who said it was too expensive. I think you will feel the pain of that deal as we sit idle through most of the draft next year. Then there will be a lot of what iffing as we watch players that we could have had tear up the league over the next ten years.

Falcons have 5 draft picks next year- that's not sitting out through most of the draft- don't have a first rounder, and that's significant, but you had to give up something to get Jones. And if Jones turns out to be the player they think he is, well worth it.