It Seems We Play To Our Strengths W/out Jj

Even though I am a big Julio Jones fan, it seems that we play better without him in the lineup. Since we have him, maybe the coaching staff will realize that we need to use him more of a decoy than forcing the ball down the field (not Ryan's strength). Running and ball control is how we win!

thats on mularkey and ryan both, mularkey for not putting receivers in a position to get yac and ryan for not hitting them in stride when mularkeys plan does work

How do you hit Roddy in stride when he runs a curl? All of the routes in MM's playbook have WRs stop at the end of their routes. Kind of hard to get YAC that way

We can still be explosive despite ryans severe shortcomings in the arm department, but it relies on us getting the ball to our playmakers and allowing them to make plays after the catch. while im not on the full on mularkey hate bus, he could have a few more elaborate routes and packages that spread the defense out more.

Ryan threw completions to 9 different receivers today...

thats what i love to see. in 09 ryan keyed on gonzo alot which is probably why he regressed. i tink the same thing is going on with jones, force feeding him the ball to get that big play when julio should just be another dynamic piece to our methodical offense. theres only one guy on offense you should tailor your system to, and it isnt wide receiver.

I'd like to see this as a wake up call. This offense is built to run the ball so run the ball, but just remember the passing game can be extremely potent. When Julio comes back I'd like to see them continue to run the ball instead of passing the ball 40+ times per game, just use the receivers more effectively. No more go routes since this team simply does not click on them, but do some deep ins and outs, posts, deep comebacks, flag routes, drag routes, screens, etc. We have explosive playmakers on offense they just need to be used intelligently. Explosive plays don't exclusively come from throwing bombs on streak routes.

I think drafting Julio put pressure on this offense to be explosive, and it isn't. This is an opportunistic run first offense that won 13 games last year by not being explosive. Ryan isn't a QB who can throw 30 yards downfield and we shouldn't try to make him into one. Let's pound the ball with Turner, take a few shots downfield, but mostly just run medium routes. Julio can get the YAC and Roddy kind of can too. These coaches need to play Falcons Football with a hint of explosiveness, because this offense will never be as explosive as the Green Bay, New England, or New Orleans offenses. We have a very good RB and those teams don't.

I think drafting Julio put pressure on this offense to be explosive, and it isn't. This is an opportunistic run first offense that won 13 games last year by not being explosive. Ryan isn't a QB who can throw 30 yards downfield and we shouldn't try to make him into one. Let's pound the ball with Turner, take a few shots downfield, but mostly just run medium routes. Julio can get the YAC and Roddy kind of can too. These coaches need to play Falcons Football with a hint of explosiveness, because this offense will never be as explosive as the Green Bay, New England, or New Orleans offenses. We have a very good RB and those teams don't.

Very good post.

It's explosive, just not in the way Mularkey was trying to make it explosive.

Good post. Julio and roddy both being very physical can create explosiveness with yac. You can't totally throw the deep pass out of the playbook because it stretches the other d even it's not completed.

The weird thing is that Falcons football is pretty basic - get out in front and pound, pound, and play action. The problem is that Dimotroff knows that with Green Bay and New Orleans in our conference, it's going to be hard to advance. So, he puts an emphasis on explosion and drafts Julio. However, the quarterback is not a good fit for that kind of offense. So here we are stuck in a catch 22.

The weird thing is that Falcons football is pretty basic - get out in front and pound, pound, and play action. The problem is that Dimotroff knows that with Green Bay and New Orleans in our conference, it's going to be hard to advance. So, he puts an emphasis on explosion and drafts Julio. However, the quarterback is not a good fit for that kind of offense. So here we are stuck in a catch 22.

What really sucks is that if we go with the ground n pound philosophy we gotta have a better defense to keep the other team in check.