Well Thomas I guess the 24 hour rule that Mike Smith talks about served you guys well as you get ready for Carolina. You're trying to put that Sunday night affair behind you as quickly as possible?

TD: We need to move from those kinds of games very very quickly and move on to a divisional opponent. One that is playing very very well despite their record cause right now this team is playing very ver hard and this is a team with some interesting swagger at this stage in the game.

How surprised are you to see Cam Newton doing what he's doing?

TD: Well I'm not surprised, this guy is a big guy and he has a gun. He can turn broken plays into legitimate scoring opportunities. We have to be ready in all phases of the game for this football team.

Thomas talking to a couple of guys in the locker room they said hey listen no one thought we'd be 2-3, no one wants to be 2-3 but hey if you're going to test your metal if you don't know what's going to happen during the year this is one of those weeks.

TD: This is one of those weeks, listen Chris we know where we are and we know where we need to be going. and what our expectations were externally and what our expectations were outside that's not a concern of ours. It's to play football the way we know how to play as a team. I've said it all along and we believe this, this is a talented football team with a talented coaching staff and we have challenges that we need to figure out and we need to figure them out right away.

I've always said that you can shoot yourself in the foot but you can't blow your whole leg off, there were moments extended moments where you look and said you will not be able to recover from these things and if you accumulate some of these things 4, 5, 6 plays that you either give away or force to give away you can't get them back especially against a good football team. Are those deemed mistakes and how do you actually get that crap out of the way?

TD: Right those are difficult things and you have to have a strong and resilient football team mentally to be able look at those mistakes and to be able to move forward on them. They have to be able to bury them and forget them.. As much as we want to be agitated by a mistake and woe is me deal you can't do that in the National Football League you guys know that, the fan base knows that and the team knows that. We need to drop it and move forward, we need to continue to focus on the task at hand and we can't have a number of mistakes or a string of mistakes that set us back on drives. We had 2 very good drives and the rest of the drives in the game didn't end the way we needed them to in the end.. And we need to make sure that we don't have that happen going forward.

I talked to some of the guys in the locker room about that 3rd quarter stat that I'm sure you're well aware of being outscored 61-13.. Can you pinpoint the reason for that the easy thing to say is that adjustments aren't being made at half time but is it just some of those other things that are coming back to bite you in the 3rd quarter?

TD: Right I think that's going to be the easy pinpoint or the easy dart to be thrown and I think that they're a lot of things involved in it.. We can come out and feel like we're move the ball down the field and a penalty, mishap or a mistake comes up and before you know it we're punting the ball. And that can't happen, we have to continue to score and that's what our goal is.. It's not as easy as saying that it's about adjustments in the 3rd quarter.

Thomas that's why I say that it's a league of play-makers, my contention is that if it's a ball of bad rolling down the hill and it eventually turns into a boulder and you can't come up with a play to stop it that really seems to be what I see going on. In layman's term you can't come up with a play to stop bad momentum to actually turn it and try to push it back up the hill. Is that sort of fair, is that too easy?

TD: Oh at times I think it's fair, I think we need to find where we can get the momentum rolling in the second half we need to start strong and finish strong. We have to figure out where we are in our production with offense, defense and special teams so we'll have that momentum and there sometimes needs to be that big play that kick start a team. There are going to be lulls in a game and we need to do away with our lulls and continue to produce consistently.

Talked to Matt Ryan he said that if he'd tell you at the beginning of the season that he'd have the 2nd most amount of pass attempts on the season that he'd be very surprised by that. Are you concerned by that or will you be concerned if the trend continues as far as keeping Matt healthy?

TD: Well at the beginning of the season we had our challenges with our o-line, I think they're coming together well and I think they're bonding together as a until and understanding the new protections that we're implementing. Matt can't take hits we know that, he needs to be healthy he needs to have his confidence up. That said we need to be productive anyway we need to be productive to score and to win game. That means balance yes fellas and that also means that when the opportunity is there that he needs to sling the ball and he needs to sling the ball [He did say that twice, it's not a typo lol] but we take it all in consideration.

There aren't a lot of trades in the NFL.. Trade deadline is pretty early in the season but it gives you until the halfway point to make some moves. Is that something that's viable at this point? In your mind is there something or someone out there that you will actually say let's find out if there's a possibility of this?

TD: You know Chris this is something that I've talked about before and it's something that I'm not comfortable with you get a player in here in the middle of the season that doesn't know the system and would have to learn on the fly. It will be difficult, normally those trades are for players that you want to come in here and affect right away and that's not the direction we'd be going.

But TD and Smitty are too nice to yell at each other and the staff so nothing will change.

Well there's no way that we'll know if that's true or not because we don't know what goes on in Flowery Branch... Mike Bell posed the question to Dave Archer about Smith being too nice and he said that Smith is a nice guy but he has seen Smith get after the players in the locker room and when he does it's not pretty..

Well Thomas I guess the 24 hour rule that Mike Smith talks about served you guys well as you get ready for Carolina. You're trying to put that Sunday night affair behind you as quickly as possible?

TD: We need to move from those kinds of games very very quickly and move on to a divisional opponent. One that is playing very very well despite their record cause right now this team is playing very ver hard and this is a team with some interesting swagger at this stage in the game.

How surprised are you to see Cam Newton doing what he's doing?

TD: Well I'm not surprised, this guy is a big guy and he has a gun. He can turn broken plays into legitimate scoring opportunities. We have to be ready in all phases of the game for this football team.

Thomas talking to a couple of guys in the locker room they said hey listen no one thought we'd be 2-3, no one wants to be 2-3 but hey if you're going to test your metal if you don't know what's going to happen during the year this is one of those weeks.

TD: This is one of those weeks, listen Chris we know where we are and we know where we need to be going. and what our expectations were externally and what our expectations were outside that's not a concern of ours. It's to play football the way we know how to play as a team. I've said it all along and we believe this, this is a talented football team with a talented coaching staff and we have challenges that we need to figure out and we need to figure them out right away.

I've always said that you can shoot yourself in the foot but you can't blow your whole leg off, there were moments extended moments where you look and said you will not be able to recover from these things and if you accumulate some of these things 4, 5, 6 plays that you either give away or force to give away you can't get them back especially against a good football team. Are those deemed mistakes and how do you actually get that crap out of the way?

TD: Right those are difficult things and you have to have a strong and resilient football team mentally to be able look at those mistakes and to be able to move forward on them. They have to be able to bury them and forget them.. As much as we want to be agitated by a mistake and woe is me deal you can't do that in the National Football League you guys know that, the fan base knows that and the team knows that. We need to drop it and move forward, we need to continue to focus on the task at hand and we can't have a number of mistakes or a string of mistakes that set us back on drives. We had 2 very good drives and the rest of the drives in the game didn't end the way we needed them to in the end.. And we need to make sure that we don't have that happen going forward.

I talked to some of the guys in the locker room about that 3rd quarter stat that I'm sure you're well aware of being outscored 61-13.. Can you pinpoint the reason for that the easy thing to say is that adjustments aren't being made at half time but is it just some of those other things that are coming back to bite you in the 3rd quarter?

TD: Right I think that's going to be the easy pinpoint or the easy dart to be thrown and I think that they're a lot of things involved in it.. We can come out and feel like we're move the ball down the field and a penalty, mishap or a mistake comes up and before you know it we're punting the ball. And that can't happen, we have to continue to score and that's what our goal is.. It's not as easy as saying that it's about adjustments in the 3rd quarter.

Thomas that's why I say that it's a league of play-makers, my contention is that if it's a ball of bad rolling down the hill and it eventually turns into a boulder and you can't come up with a play to stop it that really seems to be what I see going on. In layman's term you can't come up with a play to stop bad momentum to actually turn it and try to push it back up the hill. Is that sort of fair, is that too easy?

TD: Oh at times I think it's fair, I think we need to find where we can get the momentum rolling in the second half we need to start strong and finish strong. We have to figure out where we are in our production with offense, defense and special teams so we'll have that momentum and there sometimes needs to be that big play that kick start a team. There are going to be lulls in a game and we need to do away with our lulls and continue to produce consistently.

Talked to Matt Ryan he said that if he'd tell you at the beginning of the season that he'd have the 2nd most amount of pass attempts on the season that he'd be very surprised by that. Are you concerned by that or will you be concerned if the trend continues as far as keeping Matt healthy?

TD: Well at the beginning of the season we had our challenges with our o-line, I think they're coming together well and I think they're bonding together as a until and understanding the new protections that we're implementing. Matt can't take hits we know that, he needs to be healthy he needs to have his confidence up. That said we need to be productive anyway we need to be productive to score and to win game. That means balance yes fellas and that also means that when the opportunity is there that he needs to sling the ball and he needs to sling the ball [He did say that twice, it's not a typo lol] but we take it all in consideration.

There aren't a lot of trades in the NFL.. Trade deadline is pretty early in the season but it gives you until the halfway point to make some moves. Is that something that's viable at this point? In your mind is there something or someone out there that you will actually say let's find out if there's a possibility of this?

TD: You know Chris this is something that I've talked about before and it's something that I'm not comfortable with you get a player in here in the middle of the season that doesn't know the system and would have to learn on the fly. It will be difficult, normally those trades are for players that you want to come in here and affect right away and that's not the direction we'd be going.

I wish TD would own up to his poor draft choices instead of assuming that things will get magically better if we will them to.

I wish TD would own up to his poor draft choices instead of assuming that things will get magically better if we will them to.

TD does not have a poor draft record.

Sooooo we arent gonna bring in a punter?

Agree with you, punter is one position you can bring someone in mid season without disrupting the team.

Found this interesting:

"We can come out and feel like we're move the ball down the field and a penalty, mishap or a mistake comes up and before you know it we're punting the ball. And that can't happen, we have to continue to score and that's what our goal is.. It's not as easy as saying that it's about adjustments in the 3rd quarter."

He is saying the same thing I am- It's on the players to play better. They must block their guy, stop making penalties, throw the ball to the open man, and catch it.

We shouldn't be punting! That's my problem. At least not from our own 20-30 yard line. If we get to the 50 and punt, with Bosher's average, they should be pinned inside the 15. But when you are punting with the punter inside the 10 or in the endzone, that's the offenses fault and MM is asking Bosher to bail him out. I can't blame Bosher too much. I hated the pick because I don't believe in drafting K/Ps unless they are rare talents, but the more pressure you put on Bosher, the more likely he is to shank. He only shanks the punts that have the most pressure on him. He got some booming ones off on Sunday that nobody wants to talk about. He was averaging about 40 yards a punt (minus a short one that they punted from the 40 or so that brought his avg down. it was on the drive that we were in FG range but got knocked out because of a penalty). That's respectable. But when you are punting from your own 30 after a 3 & out, that 40 yard average doesn't look so good anymore when the PR catches it from the other 30 and runs it 5-10 yards. If the offense gets 1 FD a drive, Bosher is punting from the 35-40 and is driving it to the 20-25. That is what you want but we don't get it because we run on first and second down and predictably pass for a first down through curls, hooks, or deep comebacks.

Also, the reason we can't come out in the second half gunning is because MM has no plays in his playbook to take back momentum. The momentum is up in the air after halftime, no matter the score. We never come out and take it.

TD does not have a poor draft record.

Agree with you, punter is one position you can bring someone in mid season without disrupting the team.

Found this interesting:

"We can come out and feel like we're move the ball down the field and a penalty, mishap or a mistake comes up and before you know it we're punting the ball. And that can't happen, we have to continue to score and that's what our goal is.. It's not as easy as saying that it's about adjustments in the 3rd quarter."

He is saying the same thing I am- It's on the players to play better. They must block their guy, stop making penalties, throw the ball to the open man, and catch it.

Actually he does. The best players on the Falcons were from the previous administration. The best picks that TD had so far is Ryan and Lofton, and Ryan is unable to throw deep much less carry the team, and Loften is only decent at stuffing the run. The rest of his picks were drafting players who would be backups on most teams and are simply starting by default. Even if you do include Julio, TD gave up too much to get a WR.

Guys like Weatherspoon are decent but are injury prone - same with Jerry, and HD; it does not matter if you get benched or injured, if you are not on the field playing, what use are you?

Edited by Aria7

1.Sign Buffalo OG/OT/DT 7th round Tenn.Country Boy Michael Jasper from their Practice Squad

69 Michael Jasper OL 6-4 383lbs 25 R Bethel College (Tenn.)

Jasper%20debut.jpg

Buffalo is loaded at DT, so they are putting Jasper at OG/OT

Dude is a Beast benches 500LBs moves like at 300Lber

2. Sign Buffalo TE Shawn Nelson cut Kelly< Waste

O-line: Go back to the old protection scheme, but i thought they played decent against GB.

M. Ryan: Glad TD addressed that about MR...he had opportunities.

Actually he does. The best players on the Falcons were from the previous administration. The best picks that TD had so far is Ryan and Lofton, and Ryan is unable to throw deep much less carry the team, and Loften is only decent at stuffing the run. The rest of his picks were drafting players who would be backups on most teams and are simply starting by default. Even if you do include Julio, TD gave up too much to get a WR.

Guys like Weatherspoon are decent but are injury prone - same with Jerry, and HD; it does not matter if you get benched or injured, if you are not on the field playing, what use are you?

He got us a franchise QB. What is that worth? 2 other teams ahead of us didn't take him and many pundits didn't like him. It wasn't like we had the #1 pick and took the consensus #1 player.

We got Ryan and Lofton as starters of his first draft. We also got quality depth and role players in Biermann and Douglas. That is a fantastic draft that any team without an elite QB would give their right arm for.

In '09 he got us Jerry and Moore. Two more starters. Walker in the 7th was a steal.

In '10 he got us two more starters in Spoon and Peters. Did you know that 2 starters is the goal for an NFL team in the draft?

In '11 we got Julio & Quizz.

Your standards are unrealistic. Also, it is too early to judge the last few drafts. Roddy stunk for 2 years before he came on. Moore was injured his rookie year but has been balling out since. The only draft that we have 3 years of play to judge is '08 and he knocked that one out of the park. Regardless, if your standards are higher than what TD has accomplished so far then there is no GM that you will be happy with.

HomeAboutLinksNFL Draft

2011 NFL Draft ArchiveMock DraftPositional RankingsFantasy Football

SleepersQB RankingsRB RankingsRB Rankings (PPR)WR RankingsWR Rankings (PPR)TE RankingsTE Rankings (PPR)Atlanta FalconsNFL PicksThe Truth About Thomas Dimitroff’s Drafting Ability

October 10, 2011 Mihai Mitrache 4 comments

If you don’t know so already, I’m a die-hard Falcons fan. Naturally, this season has been a bit painful for me but I can’t say I didn’t see it coming. We’re an incredibly overrated team who caught a lot of lucky breaks last year on our way to a 13-3 record and home field advantage.

Most Falcons fans are starting to see the light now. The kool-aid has been put down and people are starting to see flaws. Matt Ryan is NOT an elite quarterback, and never will be. In fact, my good friend Tom Melton just wrote an interesting post about this. Check it out here. Mike Smith is far too conservative and he hasn’t done anything about our incompetent coordinators. But perhaps the biggest misconception about the Falcons is that Thomas Dimitroff is a great drafting GM. After all, he’s won executive of the year twice, surely he’s great right? Not so much.

I’m not a big fan of Dimitroff and he often leaves me scratching my head on draft day. Of course, most Falcons fans don’t share the same opinion as me. Instead, they prefer to drink the kool-aid and think every 6th round pick Dimitroff brings in will be a stud. Opinions are one thing, but you can’t argue facts.

To put things into perspective, I went ahead and studied the 2008, 2009 and 2010 NFL Drafts. While some may say it takes 3 years to grade a draft, and I’m well aware of that, I went ahead and graded every teams pick solely on how the player has performed so far. Not worrying about value, or trades, or which GM made the pick. I simply graded each draft pick on a scale from A to F. I consider picks graded A and B to be solid impact players, which is what you aim for. I took the number of picks graded A or B and divided it by the amount of picks the team had to wind up with a “hit rate”, or how often that team drafted a solid player. I started in 2008 because that’s when Dimitroff was hired. I stopped in 2010 because there’s no way we can make any conclusions about the 2011 draft class so far.

Now before you scream that we can’t judge 2010 picks, keep in mind that this is the case for all teams, so it’s not like anyone is getting the short end of the stick. How did I come up with the grades? Well, I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about what goes on around the league and how young players fare. Most of these guys I have watched in college and have kept up with in the NFL. To prevent bias I also confirmed with Pro Football Focus’ ratings. They watch every snap of every play and provide us with information that the average fan has no clue about.

Enough rambling, let’s get to the results.

The highest “hit rate” over those 3 years belongs to the New Orleans Saints with an astonishing 44%. Despite working with only 16 picks they managed to draft 3 great players, and 4 solid players. The Packers we’re second with 34% with the Raiders and Lions close behind.

Here are the full results

1. Saints – 44% – 7/16

2. Packers – 34% – 8/24

3. Raiders – 29% – 6/21

4. Lions – 28% – 7/25

5. Chargers – 26% – 5/19

6. Titans – 26% – 7/27

7. Bengals – 23% – 7/30

8. Chiefs – 23% – 6/26

8. Jets – 23% – 3/13

10. Bucs – 23% – 5/22

10. Cardinals – 23% – 5/22

12. Patriots – 23% – 7/31

13. Giants – 22% – 5/23

13. Seahawks – 22% – 5/23

15. Ravens – 22% – 5/24

16. Jaguars – 20% – 4/20

17. Falcons – 19% – 5/26

18. Browns – 19% – 4/21

19. Bills – 19% – 5/27

20. Texans – 17% – 4/24

20. Vikings – 17% – 3/18

22. Colts – 16% – 4/25

22. Panthers – 16% – 4/25

24. Steelers – 15% – 4/26

25. Rams – 15% – 4/26

26. 49ers – 14% – 3/21

27. Redskins – 14% – 3/22

28. Eagles – 13% – 4/31

29. Cowboys – 13% – 3/24

30. Dolphins – 12% – 3/26

31. Bears – 8% – 2/26

32. Broncos – 7% – 2/28

So there you have it. Dimitroff has a 19% chance of drafting a solid player, good for 17th in the league. The average was 19.4 so Dimitroff was right around average. So much for him being a genius. It’s time people take off the rose-colored glasses and see just how overrated this team is. What we once thought was great, has now turned out to be merely average.

Share this:

Email

Atlanta Falcons Atlanta Falcons, Draft Grades, GM's, Overrated, Thomas Dimitroff

4 comments

Spot on Dtan says:

October 10, 2011 at 6:18 PM

The has no clothes.

The wunderboy has left us “wondering”

Here’s how it is folks,

TD is a horrible evaluator of talent.

Time for him to “rise up”

and get us a competent QB.

Francois.NC says:

October 11, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Can you please provide the names of the 3 Panther Hits. I counted 8, also we have had 25 picks not 24.

Stewart,Otah,Godfrey,Conner,Martin,Munnerlyn,Hardy,Gettis

Mihai Mitrache says:

October 11, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I counted Otah, Stewart and Hardy.

Didn’t count Connor because he hasn’t started a full year yet and is in and out of the lineup. He’s really just benefited because of injuries to the Panthers LB corp. Munerlyn is an Ok nickle but I wouldn’t put him in the same category of a player as Otah and Stewart, YET (he has shown some promise). Looking back at it, Martin should have been a hit. I’ll still say no to Godfrey because while he is starting, his play has been below average. Gettis isn’t even close.

I’ll update the list. Thanks for the comment.

Tyler says:

October 11, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Are you kidding me? Godfrey has been below average? You seem to be ignorant of the fact that he was a reserve for the Pro Bowl last season and is one of the top run support safety’s in the league. Godfrey is certainly a hit.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Name *

Email *

Website

* Copy this password:

* Type or paste password here:

2,083 Spam Comments Blocked so far by Spam Free Wordpress

Comment

The Huddle Report◦ THR

OGDraft Social Media

OGDraft Twitter◦Nick Foles Scouting Report - http://t.co/Nf27ceZy 1 hour ago

◦Kirk Cousins scouting report - http://t.co/zXKzy4Qt 2 days ago

◦@TMeltonScouting I'm honestly not that impressed with Cousins 2 days ago

CalendarOctober 2011 M T W T F S S

« Sep

1 2

3 4 5 6 7 8 9

10 11 12 13 14 15 16

17 18 19 20 21 22 23

24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Meta◦Register

◦Log in

◦Entries RSS

◦Comments RSS

◦WordPress.org

Search for: Copyright © 2010-2011 ogdraft.com. All rights reserved. OGDraft is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by the NFL, NCAA or any of its teams. All logos are property of their respective owners. No part of this page or any other page may be reproduced over the internet without permission from OGDraft.Theme by ThemeZee.comSend to Email Address Your Name Your Email Address Cancel Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Email check failed, please try again Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email.

He got us a franchise QB. What is that worth? 2 other teams ahead of us didn't take him and many pundits didn't like him. It wasn't like we had the #1 pick and took the consensus #1 player.

We got Ryan and Lofton as starters of his first draft. We also got quality depth and role players in Biermann and Douglas. That is a fantastic draft that any team without an elite QB would give their right arm for.

In '09 he got us Jerry and Moore. Two more starters. Walker in the 7th was a steal.

In '10 he got us two more starters in Spoon and Peters. Did you know that 2 starters is the goal for an NFL team in the draft?

In '11 we got Julio & Quizz.

Your standards are unrealistic. Also, it is too early to judge the last few drafts. Roddy stunk for 2 years before he came on. Moore was injured his rookie year but has been balling out since. The only draft that we have 3 years of play to judge is '08 and he knocked that one out of the park. Regardless, if your standards are higher than what TD has accomplished so far then there is no GM that you will be happy with.

he also got baker who is starting too right? and a few others but beiermman has made some clutch plays for us HD? or was hd the year before TD

I like TD and his picks..he also got us turner, edwards, dunta whom i think is good but our zone scheme ruined him...got hayden which is huge we just dont knwo it yet........sanders is good.........Im happy....could be worse....we drafted Meangelo, brought in hurtwell, webster, price, that fat loser rb, another bum rb in quincy, a bunch of bums...our drafts were def worse back when before TD and we had better picks back then

oh lets not forget ol gonzo

Edited by I want Good Coordinators

Heres the only stat we all need to look at

We are ready to hover below 30% win record against teams that have winning records............one more loss and we will be at like 27% that means when we play good teams....we win less than 3 out of 10 tries........dating back to the 2009 season. We cant beat good teams.....and thats because we cant score with them.....its that simple.....we cant score more than our defense gives up.......it doesnt seem to matter how many they give up...they gave up 17 to tampa so we scored less.......only 25 to gb so we stopped scoring for 3 quarters........our gameplan is a conservative plan that we have to execute to perfection just to be competitive against good teams and have a miracle to beat them........we have no aggressiveness to get into the endzone....we kinda just sputter around until the 4th quarter hits and then its like we actually realize the severity of the situation and then kick it up a notch or two..........most teams that are coordinated by someone capable.....they play like we play in the fourth all game trying to catch up and even when ahead they continue to pile it on...because they know the NFL is a game of momentums.....you either have it or you dont.....and as long as you have it you do everything to keep it and if you dont, you do everything to take it back........well mularkey either starts without none and never looks until we have exactly the right amount of drives left to tie the game....or he starts with it and then puts it on cruise control 15mph school zone cruise control...and lets the other team get hot.....just like the packers did...theres no good to this man as our OC...its just prolonging the inevitable...these little tweaks and ideas are mere bandaids for what will surely be a gaping flesh wound soon....the sooner we bleed out the sooner a new life will be brought in..and it better be someone that is **** good and PROVEN

You guys refuse to listen. We aren't bringing in a punter. Not because we don't need one. Because TD, once again, was arrogant in thinking we wouldn't need to punt often therefore we could skimp on the position. Pretty soon it will be undeniable. Dood is an arrogant mofo. Not hard to see.

But but but, he was with a dynasty team....

Drafting a punter, yes punter, that bad will be on one of the NFLN top ten shows coming up in a few years. It feels bad to be a Falcons fan. Majority is sick of the coords, which calls for a rebuild, and will set the team back even more. Defenses don't even have to prepare against the Falcons, they know everything from the last 3 seasons. I don't even think VanGorder refuses to adjust now. I think he has no clue on how to make the right moves. Pair that with the fact that the team drafts gentle spirits instead of playmakers (because that's the motto) and nothing will go right. It's hard to watch/attend games now even when I like the Falcons odds.