Based On How We Are Looking Thus Far, We Might Win.....

Here's what I think as of right now sitting at (2-3):

Carolina - W in the dome (3-3)

Detroit- L at Detroit (3-4)

Colts - L in Indy (3-5)

Saints - W- in the Dome (4-5)

Tenn - W - in the Dome (5-5)

Minn - W in the Dome (6-5)

Houston - L in Texas (6-6)

Carolina - W on the road (7-6)

Jax - W in the Dome (8-6)

Saints - L in N.O. (8-7)

TB - L in the Dome (8-8)

So....we might win 8 games. Tell me what you think and why.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I think as of right now sitting at (2-3):

Colts - L in Indy (3-5) - we win this one

Saints - W- in the Dome (4-5) -based on how we're playing we lose this one

Tenn - W - in the Dome (5-5)

Minn - W in the Dome (6-5)

Houston - L in Texas (6-6) -we win this one

Carolina - W on the road (7-6)

Jax - W in the Dome (8-6)

Saints - L in N.O. (8-7)

TB - L in the Dome (8-8) -we win this one. TB is overrated and so is Freeman, we lost the 1st game more than they won it.

So....we might win 8 games. Tell me what you think and why.

10 wins and it's good for a wildcard. The stretch where we play Tenn, Minn, Hou, Car, & Jax will be an opportunity to get on a roll with a 5 game winning streak.

i do think the toughest part of our schedule is done. i predict:

Colts - W in Indy (4-4)

Saints - W- in the Dome (5-4)

Tenn - W - in the Dome (6-4)

Minn - W in the Dome (7-4)

Houston - L in Texas (7-5)

Carolina - W on the road (8-5)

Jax - W in the Dome (9-5)

Saints - L in N.O. (9-6)

TB - W in the Dome (10-6)

i just hope that will be enough for playoffs... however on the other hand, this might give mularkey another year, which would be bad. every year he spends with this offense wastes the potential of these players IMO.

We aren't getting swept by the Bucs. Especially not playing them in the Dome. Stop that. Plus, we don't lose back to back games, so if we lose to DET, we beat Indy.

I think we can beat Detroit and Houston as well. Not fully sold on Detroit still and the Houston is losing steam.

HOU jumped out early in the season but don't let that week 1 rout of the Colts fool you. It's like the Bears beating us made them a legit team after week 1. They are staring at 3-3 just like we are next game.

Detroit hadn't played much of anybody til Monday night and beat a weak Bears division rival. I still am not impressed fully. But what scares you and me both is that 1. no lead is safe against them & 2. MM will piss a lead away in a heartbeat. So I wouldn't be shocked if we lost.

Indy is useless without Manning. Seriously. Painter is a solid QB but he just can't get it done. There defense will be out of gas if we play our cards right. Their ends are terrors but we can run the ball.

I see us going 4-2 in the division and 10-6 with a wild card behind the Saints. The way it is looking, the wild card will be between us, the Lions, and the 2nd place team in the NFC East. We all knew this 5 game stretch would suck. Maybe it's a good thing it sucked so bad so we can see who to blame for it mostly (MM). If things don't change soon, then I will agree that 8-8 is more likely. But the middle of our schedule is set up for us to make a strong run

Edited by vel

Is it fair to blame Roddy's drops on MM? That was the difference in the TB game.

Is it fair to blame all of our penalties on MM? Or Ryan's struggles going deep? Or our OL playing like hot garbage for much of the year?

Didn't we do well with our scripted plays vs. GB?

MM has his flaws, but he's being scapegoated right now. There's plenty of blame to go around. We lack consistency on both sides of the ball.

Is it fair to blame Roddy's drops on MM? That was the difference in the TB game.

Is it fair to blame all of our penalties on MM? Or Ryan's struggles going deep? Or our OL playing like hot garbage for much of the year?

MM has his flaws, but he's being scapegoated right now. There's plenty of blame to go around. We lack consistency on both sides of the ball.

no and those would have changed this, but it is not fair to have every single game depending on not making a single penalty and not having a single drop... good teams overcome this... and his ability to adjust his gameplan is nonexistent... i don't think he is the only problem, but he is the biggest.

even with a consistent lead we let the other team get back and have the game come down to the very last second... every time.

Edited by FalconsfanDK

Here are some remaing schedules:

Bucs

NO

CHI

@NO

HOU

@GB

@TEN

CAR

@JAX

DAL

@CAR

@ATL

Their next 5 games are worse than our first 5 games. Then they finish with DAL, CAR, and ATL. They are a team looking at 8-8.

DET

SF

ATL

@DEN

@CHI

CAR

GB

@NO

MIN

@OAK

SD

@GB

Detroit's last 6 games are tough with GB twice, @Oakland, and SD and MIN being a divisional rival, they could be a threat that late in the season.

So I see a 10-6 Lions team, an 8-8 Bucs team, and a Redskins team running out of gas late from an early bye.

Yes you can blame Roddy's dropped ball on MM because it shouldn't have been a deciding factor. 3 points in the first half. This offense has been held to below 14 points in all 3 losses. Who do you blame that on? The guy who has built a scheme that doesn't know how to adjust or react to mistakes. They are human so mistakes will be made. Ryan is going to over throw people. The best do. We are going to get penalties, every team does. We are going to drop balls, fumble and throw INTs. The best do. But this offense is built to have ZERO mistakes.

Is it your boss' fault if you mess up on a project? No but he knows mistakes will happen and knows how to go about fixing them. MM doesn't. You know why the OLine looked good against the Packers in the first half? Because their defense had to read THEN react. Not just see the formation and know what is about to be ran just like we can. If the defense knows the play, then the offense loses their advantage. DLines can pin their ears back on passing plays they know and they can load the box on obvious run plays.

If I gave you a generic Madden playbook and put you in the booth with this talent, you could call better plays. Not asking you to design them, but you have common sense that running the same plays in the same sequence from the first half in the second half is stupid and won't work.

We have scored 3 TDs in the 10 second half quarters this season. That is 2.1 points a quarter. If I told you that at the beginning of the season, who would you blame?

We have one of the best OL coaches in the league. We also have a first round pick at LT, a big dollar LG, a veteran/3rd rounder at C, and a probowl RT. This year our OL has been terrible. Should we fire the coach?

We have one of the best DL coaches in the league. So far we haven't gotten much pressure with our front four. That is inspite of having some pretty good DL on the roster. Should we fire the coach?

My point is that everything is connected and the games often come down to just a few critical mistakes. I don't believe we would be better off with another OC unless it is one of the very few elite guys.

Our 3 losses are vs the Bears, Packers, and TB. That is 3 tough defenses. I blame our players for not executing first and foremost.

Vs TB it wasn't just Roddy's drops. Ryan had a wide open Julio on the first snap and didn't pull the trigger. Was that MM's fault too? Ryan was getting pressured and beat up the whole game, and that was just from their front four(not due to poor scheme). Despite the constant pressure, MM had a playcall good enough for us to jump out front early and our offense was in position win it late. In both instances our best players screwed up.

My only point is that it may be easy for people to scapegoat MM, but the more accurate assessment is that everyone should share responsibility for our shortcomings.

We have one of the most subpar OCs in this league. We don't necessarily need an elite one with the kind of talent we are fielding. Our OLine has been terrible when MM calls the same plays that allows the defense to jump the play. Just look at it. It is blatantly clear. How many times has Ryan been pressured/hit/sacked when running the no huddle? How many times was he pressured/sacked/hit in the first half of the Packers game? This is the same OLine both times. Even look at the second half of the Tampa game. I was there live and it was brutal seeing him take hits like that but he wasn't sacked in the second half when he ran the no huddle.

On defense, our DC runs an aggressive scheme but has a passive secondary coach. The secondary is playing off man to try and jump routes but this only works when teams are behind trying to push the ball down the field and threw tight windows. This isn't happening but even when they hold teams to 16 points, the offense puts up 12-14 points. I can't blame the D too much yet. They are built to play with a lead. Just look at how they played against the Packers in the first 3 quarters on Sunday. They ran out of gas in the fourth.

We aren't getting swept by the Bucs. Especially not playing them in the Dome. Stop that. Plus, we don't lose back to back games, so if we lose to DET, we beat Indy.

I think we can beat Detroit and Houston as well. Not fully sold on Detroit still and the Houston is losing steam.

HOU jumped out early in the season but don't let that week 1 rout of the Colts fool you. It's like the Bears beating us made them a legit team after week 1. They are staring at 3-3 just like we are next game.

Detroit hadn't played much of anybody til Monday night and beat a weak Bears division rival. I still am not impressed fully. But what scares you and me both is that 1. no lead is safe against them & 2. MM will piss a lead away in a heartbeat. So I wouldn't be shocked if we lost.

Indy is useless without Manning. Seriously. Painter is a solid QB but he just can't get it done. There defense will be out of gas if we play our cards right. Their ends are terrors but we can run the ball.

I see us going 4-2 in the division and 10-6 with a wild card behind the Saints. The way it is looking, the wild card will be between us, the Lions, and the 2nd place team in the NFC East. We all knew this 5 game stretch would suck. Maybe it's a good thing it sucked so bad so we can see who to blame for it mostly (MM). If things don't change soon, then I will agree that 8-8 is more likely. But the middle of our schedule is set up for us to make a strong run

The reason why I say TB sweeps because they have our number. We've struggled too much against them this year and last.

Our 3 losses are vs the Bears, Packers, and TB. That is 3 tough defenses. I blame our players for not executing first and foremost.

Vs TB it wasn't just Roddy's drops. Ryan had a wide open Julio on the first snap and didn't pull the trigger. Was that MM's fault too? Ryan was getting pressured and beat up the whole game, and that was just from their front four(not due to poor scheme). Despite the constant pressure, MM had a playcall good enough for us to jump out front early and our offense was in position win it late. In both instances our best players screwed up.

My only point is that it may be easy for people to scapegoat MM, but the more accurate assessment is that everyone should share responsibility for our shortcomings.

Yes I agree that Ryan has held on a little too much but it's also part of the OC's job to let him rip it. MM doesn't really care for the deep ball. You can tell in his play calling. So he isn't going to coax Ryan into throwing that. Just look over the years. Ryan has gone from mini gunslinger in 08 to all of a sudden gun shy. Who is the constant? Musgrave is gone. Deep balls aren't in the play book. Only go routes.

Seriously, why does our OLine look like two different units in the same game at times? Why does Clabo look like Baker at times then the Pro Bowler he is at others in the same game? Well when the defense (fans too) know the play, then they can play the play. Just like corners get INTs when they jump routes because they know the route. The opposing defense knows our run/pass formations. Just look at the Packers playoffs and Sunday. Tramon Williams said it himself. He knew we were going to run the rollout because he saw the motion and formation we always run it from. He jumped the route and broke our backs. Well when we did the exact same thing on Sunday but faked it and ran a screen, it worked perfectly because the defense played the play they knew, they didn't read the play that was happening.

As OC with Steelers

2001 - 3rd in total offense, 7th in points per game

2002 - 5th in total offense, 8th in points per game

2003 - 22nd in total offense, 19th in points per game

As HC Buffalo (JP Losman and Kely Holcomb were his QBs, No HC to has had a winning season in Buffalo since MM is '04)

2004 - 25th in total offense, 7th in points per game

2005 - 28th in total offense, 24th in points per game

As OC in Miami

2006 - 20th in total offense, 29th in scoring (consider that their starting QB Culpepper and starting RB Brown were injured)

As OC in ATL

2008 - 6th in total offense, 10th in points per game

2009 - 16th in total offense, 13th in points per game (rediculous sched and injuries to starting rb and qb)

2010 - 16th in total offense, 5th in points per game

In 9 seasons MM was among the top 10 in either total or scoring offense 6 times. The three seasons he missed were the Losman/Holcomb era in BUF, and when he lost both his starting QB and RB while with MIA and then with ATL. This is his record. This is who he is, and it is very solid. He has never had a HC who helped him achieve this (like all of Belicheck's OCs etc.). And Ryan is the best QB he's had so far. This is not a guy who had the benefit of an elite QB to pump up his numbers (not yet anyway).

As I said earlier, there are only a few elite OCs who would be a clear improvement over MM. And I promise you, even they are going to have their ups and downs. Why? Because the OC is just one piece of the puzzle.

One word perfectly describes MM on these boards: SCAPEGOAT

Edited by maxatlanta

You basically just made excuses for every reason why MM went from solid one year to terrible the next. What's the excuse in 03 PIT? That would have been us last year had they not played weak schedule. He had the same personnel from 02 to 03. Nobody got hurt. He just didn't evolve over time. 7th in points to 24th in Buffalo. What happened then?

Look at the 09 and 10 Falcons. 16th in total offense both times. Yea I always preach about points, but this offense was literally average. They were the dead middle of 32 teams. They played a tough schedule in 09 with injuries, yea I get that. But with an easier schedule, our YPA dropped. YPC dropped. Rushing Average dropped. If it weren't for the league's least penalized team, they don't score those points. They had to most 10 play drives. But if things didn't go smoothly, they stalled. One false step in MM's scheme and it all goes awry.

Why is it that you can name every play being ran on our offense? Don't you think if you as a fan can see it coming, the defense can see it coming? The reason offenses when more than defenses normally is because the defense doesn't know what is coming. They have to read and react. Against MM's offense, defenses are just reacting. They don't have to read. This puts the offense in a bind. Just look at the game on Sunday max. They ran 15 brand new plays designed specifically to capitalize on Green Bay's aggressive defense. They worked brilliantly because the Packers weren't expecting them. Screens, misdirection, draws, things this board has been asking for, worked to the T and the offense looked like we all expected it to. Who knows if they were executed 100% correctly? That shouldn't matter. They were at least 80%. MM's leaves no room for error. That is impossible when dealing with human beings. Mistakes will be made. As soon as halftime was over, MM said himself, they ran the ball on first and second down the first few drives. Well when the defense knows you are going to run the ball 100% on first down and at least 75% on second down, what do you think they are going to do? Play the run until you show otherwise. That's what they did and forced us into third and longs. They also knew that MM plays Well that's exactly what happened and it kept happening and the Packers began to bring pressure and shut the offense down.

It is MM. If it wasn't MM, then the no huddle ran by Ryan wouldn't look and play so well. The same OLine that protects for MM's plays, protects in Ryan's no huddle. The same Roddy that drops passes in MM's plays, catches them in Ryan's no huddle. The same penalties that happen in MM's plays, don't happen in the no huddle.

Look at how flawless the first half Sunday was. No penalties, no dropped passes, no pressure on Ryan. 14 point lead. Second half, back to the same old same old, penalties, drops, sack and hits, 0 points. What's the difference?