Ncaa Says Auburn Had No Major Violations, Ends Investigation In Signing Of Quarterback Cam Newton

Mr. Hoopah!

http://www.al.com/sp...ds_no_majo.html

AUBURN, Alabama -- The NCAA did not find any major rules violations in Auburn's signing of quarterback Cam Newton and has concluded its investigation.

The NCAA enforcement staff also concluded its investigation into charges by four former players on HBO who accused the school of providing extra benefits. Again, it found no wrongdoing.

The NCAA issued a statement Wednesday saying it interviewed more than 50 people to see if Auburn provided Newton or his family improper benefits. The NCAA said it could not find any reason to keep the investigation open because its findings did not meet a "burden of proof" that Auburn did anything wrong in signing the quarterback who led the Tigers to the national title last season.

The NCAA said the investigation has to meet a higher standard "than rampant public speculation online and in the media.

The committee said it would review any additional information "if further investigation is warranted."

An additional 30 people were interviewed in the HBO investigation.

The NCAA, in a letter to the school, said the enforcement staff and Auburn reviewed "a number of allegations regarding the football program's compliance with NCAA legislation" over 13 months.

Four former players said on HBO -- Raven Gray, Stanley McClover, Chaz Ramsey and Troy Reddick -- that Auburn provided benefits. The NCAA said it could not substantiate the claims.

"We appreciate the NCAA and thank them for their professionalism and thoroughness during this exhaustive investigation. We are pleased to put this matter behind us," says Athletics Director Jay Jacobs.

Here's the NCAA statement:

After conducting more than 80 interviews, the NCAA has concluded its investigation into Auburn University. The NCAA enforcement staff is committed to a fair and thorough investigative process. As such, any allegations of major rules violations must meet a burden of proof, which is a higher standard than rampant public speculation online and in the media. The allegations must be based on credible and persuasive information and includes a good-faith belief that the Committee on Infractions could make a finding. As with any case, should the enforcement staff become aware of additional credible information, it will review the information to determine whether further investigation is warranted.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say whatever you want, I could care less. This ends it, period.

I think of the NCAA much like I think about our government. Justice is doled out when it agrees with the bank roll and going into the National Championship game, such things were rather inconvenient. Continuance of an investigation which could potentially embarrass the NCAA was put on for good show. Its over and it has been over since the NCAA let Cam off with the ignorance plea, breaking all prior precedence. I'm simply surprised that anyone who had seen such logic employed by the NCAA would think that the NCAA was really wanting to uncover anything.

I am not going to argue about cam taking money or not. The NCAA said he didnt and they have a lot more info than me. The only thing about the whole situation that ever made me mad was the cecil skated clean and clear. He admitted to shopping cam around. Just because nobody was willing to pay the 200k, the ncaa should have done something about that. He should have been banned from and NCAA related event, period. He didnt go to the heisman, but he still should have been banned from all games, the heisman event, the nc game and so on. The ncaa really opened the door for anyone to just shop their kid around for thousands, as long as the kid doesnt know. Thats the only thing that made me mad. I am a lot more curious as to how mark imgram, julio jones, and trent richardson were all driving 2010 chevy suvs with custom plates leaving practice. Hmmmmmm. . . .

Do any of you know what the burden of proof is for an ncaa investigation? The ncaa statement says there wasn't evidence to meet their burden of proof but then never says what it is. That's pretty vague. Are we talking probable cause, preponderance, beyond resonable doubt, or some mysterious standard that varies depending on the program. (And no that's not a knock on AU)

I am a lot more curious as to how mark imgram, julio jones, and trent richardson were all driving 2010 chevy suvs with custom plates leaving practice. Hmmmmmm. . . .

Well see, their father's shopped around for a "great deal" on their cars. They didn't know that their fathers "shopped around", so according to the NCAA they can't get in trouble. See now you don't have to be curious anymorewink.png

Edited by JHav

I think of the NCAA much like I think about our government. Justice is doled out when it agrees with the bank roll and going into the National Championship game, such things were rather inconvenient. Continuance of an investigation which could potentially embarrass the NCAA was put on for good show. Its over and it has been over since the NCAA let Cam off with the ignorance plea, breaking all prior precedence. I'm simply surprised that anyone who had seen such logic employed by the NCAA would think that the NCAA was really wanting to uncover anything.

They were plenty embarrassed about Ohio State and Miami, and they're both receiving punishment.

Guest King Shot

Been saying it all along. There never has been a single shred of evidence, nor a single accusation made by anyone of importance during this entire fiasco against Auburn University. The original accusation that started this whole thing was made against Cecil Newton and involved NOBODY except for Mississippi State. It was a complete crapstorm started by stupid rival football fans, nothing more and nothing less.

And I'm laughing at people saying "The NCAA just didn't want to be embarrassed so they let them get away with it!"

Yet when it comes to Miami, USC, and Ohio State, three schools with a **** of a lot more success and national relevance than Auburn, the NCAA had no problems punishing them. Doesn't make any sense.

Don't you see that's different, the NCAA would be far too embarassed to ever take back a National Championship or a Heisman Trophy

ncf_a_bush_b1_300.jpg

Years after the fact. There is also a difference between USC and Auburn. Remember that professor who was silenced when he found out that Auburn was passing players who never took classes? Alabama has been cheating far more than Auburn and they've gotten away with it year after year... lately at least. I'm not saying that I know Auburn cheated. I am saying that I know the NCAA is full of crap and that justice is doled out arbitrarily.

Been saying it all along. There never has been a single shred of evidence, nor a single accusation made by anyone of importance during this entire fiasco against Auburn University. The original accusation that started this whole thing was made against Cecil Newton and involved NOBODY except for Mississippi State.

so what you're saying is not only did Auburn not pay him any money when Miss st. would but Cam had no knowledge of it? Dude get real.

Years after the fact. There is also a difference between USC and Auburn. Remember that professor who was silenced when he found out that Auburn was passing players who never took classes? Alabama has been cheating far more than Auburn and they've gotten away with it year after year... lately at least. I'm not saying that I know Auburn cheated. I am saying that I know the NCAA is full of crap and that justice is doled out arbitrarily.

I'll agree that it seems arbitrary suspensions are given out and consistancy doesn't seem to be the NCAA's strong suit, but continuing the investigation would embarrass the NCAA when they continued the USC investigation for years, what I'm saying is that dismissing this as "the NCAA just didn't bring down AU because they were a money maker" is BS when they've slammed bama, USC, and OSU.

so what you're saying is not only did Auburn not pay him any money when Miss st. would but Cam had no knowledge of it? Dude get real.

LOL ^^^^^ obviously doesn't know much about the story.

u_mad.jpg

It's over for now. But when one of the people who are being paid to be quiet about this get snubbed or a payment is missed (or a job or promotion is not given,etc) they will be singing like a canary (ala the Reggie Bush case) and turning over proof. So, stay tuned!

It's over for now. But when one of the people who are being paid to be quiet about this get snubbed or a payment is missed (or a job or promotion is not given,etc) they will be singing like a canary (ala the Reggie Bush case) and turning over proof. So, stay tuned!

The case is CLOSED

jess_ventura_conspiracy_theory.jpg

I'm not mad I could care less but to think Cam's Dad knew and Cam didn't is asinine. What's even more asinine is thinking Cam's Dad could get money from Miss St but didn't take it and instead let his son go to Auburn.

Allegedly Mrs. St. wasn't going to pay him, remember Mrs. St. said they couldn't it wasn't like we won him at Gallery 63 over them.

Too bad everything was dropped by the NCAA, too bad none of the rumors were true, from the prediction that he wouldn't start against UGA (he did), to the rumor that Mike Slive was on LSU's campus to inform them that they would be going to Atlanta instead of Auburn (which they didn't), to the vague accusations made by bama fans on here "I wouldn't BET on it" (lol, not true), to the damning Scott Moore tapes that were comically eaten up when some idiotic/hilarious youtube video was released (it was fake), to Danny Sheridan naming the bagman (he didn't).

I think that pretty much sums it up (although I didn't mention the rumor regarding Cecil's "brand new church" which suprisingly was just upgraded enough through the help of parisheners to still not be able to hold service.

WDE

Every single fan outside of your school and maybe some within it will forever think your National Championship is tainted. I don't know about you but that would erk me big time. No need to respond back either, I know you'll say you don't care what other fans think. You might even say this, "Haters Gonna Hate"... Ha, how lame.

Off my soapbox, felt like being a jerk, and nothing personal.

Edited by Gata

Oh, and another thing that ticked me off...Listening to all the commentators talk about Cam Newton's so called "comeback story" all last season. Comeback story? He stole a laptop (then threw it out a dorm window so he didn't get caught...seriously?), got arrested, and then he fled the school before serious action could take place. He's a thug who got shopped around. You may make a big mistake in life but you don't run away and hide just because you goofed up. Big mistakes can be rectified. Just because Cam was a gifted athlete on the football field doesn't make his success a comeback story.

...AND that's how I really feel about that. Glad that's off my chest. I think you should take pride in doing things the right way (the Georgia way).

Also, I wish the state of Alabama had a pro team. That way Auburn and Alabama would stop cheating every chance they get in college football. Auburn is so heavily invested (pun intended) in CF because that's all they have in that craptastic state. Same for Alabama. Ouch.

Edited by Gata

Oh, and another thing that ticked me off...Listening to all the commentators talk about Cam Newton's so called "comeback story" all last season. Comeback story? He stole a laptop (then threw it out a dorm window so he didn't get caught...seriously?), got arrested, and then he fled the school before serious action could take place. He's a thug who got shopped around. You may make a big mistake in life but you don't run away and hide just because you goofed up. Big mistakes can be rectified. Just because Cam was a gifted athlete on the football field doesn't make his success a comeback story.

...AND that's how I really feel about that. Glad that's off my chest. I think you should take pride in doing things the right way.

Also, I wish the state of Alabama had a pro football team. That way Auburn and Alabama wouldn't cheat every chance they had in college football. Auburn is so heavily invested in CF because that's all they have in that craptastic state. Ouch.

Wow. I agreed with a lot of that but easy with the anger man. Its football. There is no need to attack an entire state or even an entire fanbase.