Could You Ever Turn Your Back On The Falcons And Root For Another Team?

FalconinPA

I ask this question because I just saw this happen before my own eyes. Since I moved to Pennsylvania in the early 90's my barber has been a Miami Dolphin fan, he even travels down to see their games twice a year. He has pictures autographed pictures of Marino, Mark Duper and many others all over his shop. Always wearing Dolphins jerseys and gear for 15 years. Imagine my surprise monday when I go in and he is wearing a Calvin Johnson jersey. I asked him what the he*ll Tony? He said that he is tired of waiting on the Dolphins to win another Super Bowl and is switching to the Lions because they have always been his second favorite team. blink.png

This was news to me, I don't believe in such a thing as a second team, Plus all he ever talked about was the Dolphins. All his Dolphin things are now gone. I never heard him say anything about the Lions, EVER. He kept saying we are gonna destroy the Bears tonight? Like he was a fan for years. I might have to get a new barber now. The more he talked the more he pissed me off. I don't even understand why him switching teams made me so mad.

I have been a Falcons fan for a long time.(late 70's) I must admit they have had some horrible teams over the years but not once have I ever thought about switching teams. How could you do that? I didn't think that it was even possible.

Have any of you board members ever switched teams? Maybe even thought about it? Know anyone that did? Or have a secret 2nd team that you never talked about? I just don't believe in second favorite teams. It is what I call a conflict of interest. JMHO

I think the degree of loyalty tends to be relative with how you became a fan to begin with. Your barber is not a local fan of the Dolphins and probably liked the Dolphins because of Marino. In this case he liked the team because of certain players and not because the team represented him in any way.

Most fans root for the team because they feel the team represents where they live; Like Georgia residents who are Falcon fans. These types of fans tend to be more loyal to the team because for them the team represents their community.

I personally are more akin to your barber in this regard since I am not a local resident and it was the teams style that inticed me. Initially I was a Giants fan, only because they were the local team but simply rooting for a team because they are the closest geographically to me seemed stupid, and I altered my tastes to find a team that was more reflective of my own personality.

I had second favorite teams before; When I first started off as a Falcon fan, my second team I would root for was the Bucs, when they were not divisional opponents; the reason I liked both teams was because they both were perennial underdogs, but the Falcons cool uniforms and more wide open offense is the reason they were my favorite overall, not to mention Deon Sanders. Now if the 2 teams met, I would always root for the Falcons. Now they are in the same division, I dropped any loyalty to the Bucs altogether.

The last time I questioned if I was to switch teams was when Vick was found guilty of dog fighting and he was still on the team on that time; My loyalty was contingent upon if Blank was to keep Vick or not. If he decided to keep Vick, I DEFINITLY would have picked a different team - as it is I'm still with the team.

While I do like that people are loyal to their favorite team to an EXTENT - It never made sense to me that people would think to themselves that they are obligated somehow to root for and remain loyal to the team, and think that others are obligated also. No one is obligated to root for ANY team, and it does NOT matter if you rooted for a team for 2 years or 20. A fan is a fan and the team is lucky that ANYONE roots for them, let alone buy their merchandise.

So for your barber switching teams, there should be no reason why it should bother you or anyone else. He was never obligated to root for the Dolphins anymore than he is obligated to root for the Lions. He is a fan of a team because he wants to be and that is the beginning and end of it.

PS: This is why I find it funny when Homers accuse me of being a fair weathered fan or bandwagon jumper. If I was either, I would have stuck with the Giants or Bucs because both of them won Super Bowls and had overall better records etc. than the Falcons have in the nearly past 20 years. Homers claim that you shouldn't knee jerk react when the team does poorly but yet they knee jerk react when anyone criticizes their team - oh the irony. That was not directed to the OP BTW.

Edited by Aria7

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My second team is and always has been the Jets. I was born in New York but I grew up mostly here. I lived her with my mom and I went to school here, but I spent a lot of Summers and winter breaks living with my dad in New York. I decided a long time ago that I did not want to pull for a NY team in the same conference as the Falcons, so I chose the Jets in the AFC. The Falcons are my team first and foremost. Primarily because I have been able to see every one of their games since I started watching football.

The point of this story is that you shouldn't judge people that have two teams they root for. Every person has their own reasons, and from my personal perspective, I have personal attachments to both. Obviously, one moreso over the other, but root for both nonetheless.

Now onto your question. If Blank sold the team back to the Smiths, or if he starts doing a lot of boneheaded things that infuriate me, I could see a situation where I find myself watching less Falcons and more Jets games. It wouldn't make me pull for the Falcons any less, but it could make me enjoy watching my other team more.

I don't see how you do this with a pro team. I'm a devout UGA fan but my second team FSU. I don't wear and FSU stuff trhough, but I always check on theior games too. As far as my Falcons go, no matter how much I complain, that's my ONLY team. If I ever turned my back on the birds I'd probably just not watch NFL anymore...not gonna happen though!

is it wrong to bet against the falcons?

Betting against the falcons means you want them to lose - you may be a fairweather fan. I can honestly say that Ive never ever rooted for them to lose. Even in 98 when I knew our chances were slim against TD and Elway. I sat there and took my medicine -surrounded by 25+ bronco fans.....

Betting against the falcons means you want them to lose - you may be a fairweather fan. I can honestly say that Ive never ever rooted for them to lose. Even in 98 when I knew our chances were slim against TD and Elway. I sat there and took my medicine -surrounded by 25+ bronco fans.....

no i actually knew they would lose against the packers.

i bet the packers would win by more than 4 points. it was really a gimme bet.

i didnt root against them.

but i knew a winning bet when i see one.

it was strictly business.

The only thing that would sway me as a Falcon fan is a change in ownership to a bad owner...thats the one thing i will forgive someone for because when you have bad ownership its just unbearable...making bad decisions doesnt mean you are a bad owner either...Snyder in DC may have made dozens and dozens of bad moves but you know he loves that team and is willing to do anything to make it a success...i think thats why the Raiders have such loyal fans too...Al Davis may have been misguided but you never questioned his willingness to do anything and everything to make the silver and black the best team in the league.

I've been a fan since 90-91 and I'm a Falcons fan for life. The barber the OP is referring to IMO is not a true fan. Personally I rock my Falcons t shirts, sweatshirts and hats all year long no matter how bad the team is, and living in Indiana, I get a lot of weird looks.

That being said, if the Falcons don't make the playoffs, I do pick teams I'd like to see do well. Usually either b/c a friend likes the team or they're an underdog, or they're playing the Saints, Bucs, Panties or Colts.

Oh yeah, since we're speaking hypothetically... If they moved, I'd never forgive them and I'd root for every team that plays against them. Seriously. If they moved away from Atlanta, I would want to see the franchise crash and burn in whatever new city they abandoned us for. I would look forward to seeing the stands emptied and the owner miserable watching every game, as his franchise crumbles one game at a time.

This would be the one and only thing that would completely destroy any support I have for this team. Even with a bad owner, I'd hope and pray for success. Even if I watched more Jets games, I'd be thinking about how I wanted the Falcons to turn things around. Moving the franchise is the one thing that would make me hate them more than any other NFL team (yes, even more than the Bucs). I would never root for the [insert City Name] Falcons.

Never! Born and raised in Hawaii and have been a Falcons fan since the late 70's. Not much here, lot of Raiders, Cowboys, 49ers and Steelers fans. The 80's were the hardest for me growing up in a family that were all 49er fans and they being in the same Division. The only positive thing was that I knew the game would be televised in Hawaii when the two teams played. Also, you know how hard it is to get any falcons items (jerseys, caps, etc).

Always have and always will be a Falcons fan, despite the type of season they have. As for your barber, Holy c$%p! No shame!

....I read the Message Boards often but have never registered...your post inspired me to register to show my support for the Falcons! Thanks.

Thanks, Glad my post got you to register. i remember the days of the 49'ers, Falcons rivalry when we were in the same division.It was pretty much one sided back then, in favor of the niners. Good post.

To add on to my last post I have a question for the out of state fans that root for the Falcons.

No disrespect meant by this but if you have a franchise in the city or state that you live in then why are you not rooting for the home team?

In my situation, I was born and raised in Georgia. Left to go to military and school. Although I live in Pennsylvania, my home team is still The Falcons. All my Family still live in Georgia.

In my situation, I was born and raised in Georgia. Left to go to military and school. Although I live in Pennsylvania, my home team is still The Falcons. All my Family still live in Georgia.

Ok that makes sense. I should have asked it better but it wasn't meant for fans like you that lived in the city or state. I meant the fans that have never lived in the city or state of the team they root for.

Oh yeah, since we're speaking hypothetically... If they moved, I'd never forgive them and I'd root for every team that plays against them. Seriously. If they moved away from Atlanta, I would want to see the franchise crash and burn in whatever new city they abandoned us for. I would look forward to seeing the stands emptied and the owner miserable watching every game, as his franchise crumbles one game at a time.

This would be the one and only thing that would completely destroy any support I have for this team. Even with a bad owner, I'd hope and pray for success. Even if I watched more Jets games, I'd be thinking about how I wanted the Falcons to turn things around. Moving the franchise is the one thing that would make me hate them more than any other NFL team (yes, even more than the Bucs). I would never root for the [insert City Name] Falcons.

I think i would have to abandon ship if the franchise moved from Atlanta. Don't think I would choose any other team. Unless a new franchise came to Atlanta. i work with a lot of Raven fans and they absolutely hate the colts for moving from Baltimore.

Only if the Falcons moved. I have a buddy who has been a Cowgirls fan ever since I've known him and after their last game he turned on them. I couldn't believe it either. He said he wasn't rooting 4 them again til Romo is gone & I was speechless. That's like sports blasphemy to me. It didn't bother me so much cause of course I hate the Cowgirls, but too see a fan that down with a team jump ship is stunning to me. After what we as Falcon fans have been through? Seriously? That guy and a Bear's fan friend of mine have abandoned their team over performance issues. We have had that and MUCH more so there's no excuse. All your cred is gone after that. I could never do that.

It's Falcons or, naw scratch that, AND die!! A-town downnnnnnnn...

Edited by DBFever2

I was an Eagles fan until I was 12 (2008 season). They tied with the Bengals and I had been cheering on the Falcons for a few weeks because they were underdogs & Turner was my fantasy football RB. After the tie, I decided I had enough and switched to the Falcons. Also, Eagles fans cursing me out for wearing a Yankees shirt to a Phillies- Yankees game really pissed me off. Another incident involving Eagles fans happened after the TB- Eagles NFCCG when I was 5 or 6. I was crying because the Eagles lost, and my mom told me I should become a Packers fan (she's a Packers fan) because they don't choke all the time. A fat drunk Eagles fan then threatened to throw her in the parking lot bonfire we were standing next to. Another time Eagles fans jumped my Dad for wearing a Giants jacket to an Eagles-Giants game. I'd say it's justified.

To add on to my last post I have a question for the out of state fans that root for the Falcons.

No disrespect meant by this but if you have a franchise in the city or state that you live in then why are you not rooting for the home team?

I live in South Jersey right outside of Atlantic City, and like I said, I used to be an Eagles fan which is the local team around here.