Arizona Fires Stoops

Unknøwn

TUCSON, Ariz. —In reviewing the entire half season, Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne decided he had seen enough and fired head football coach Mike Stoops on Monday, calling him back from a recruiting trail to give him the news.

Bryne decided sometime Sunday that was his decision, informing interim UA president Eugene Sander about his decision.

“I congratulated him for making a decisive decision,’’ Sander said. “Dragging something like this out is just painful, particularly for the players. That’s who I had the most concern about.’’

And so the Stoops era ends, 7½ seasons after it started under former Arizona athletic director Jim Livengood. Arizona is 1-5 this season and 41-50 in his career at UA.

Byrne said it would take about $1.4 million to buy out the remainder of Stoops’ contract, which was extended through 2013 after Arizona's victory over BYU in the 2008 Las Vegas Bowl.

“I always worry about that kind of money, but if you want to play in the big leagues you have to do what you got to do,’’ Sander said.

Byrne said Stoops handled the news in “a first-class’’ manner.

“We very much tried to support Coach Stoops,’’ Byrne said. “I don’t think you’ve ever heard me say anything negative publicly about him. I had seen the positives he had done, but it got to the point this season where I was very concerned about the long-term impact.’’

Stoops took Arizona to bowl games in each of the past three seasons, but the 'Cats finished last year on a five-game losing streak and have lost five straight this year after beating Northern Arizona in the season opener. UA hasn't defeated a Football Bowl Subdivision school since beating UCLA on Oct. 30 of last year.

Longtime linebackers coach Tim Kish was named interim coach and will coach for the rest of the regular season.

Byrne said a search for Stoops' successor would begin immediately. "I expect the search to end sometime after the regular season is over," he said. "We will make the best decision for Arizona football, and we are open to a variety of candidates, but the next time you will hear anything from me about this search will be when we introduce our new coach," he said.

The high point of Stoops' tenure was last October's victory over UCLA, which left them at 7-1, ranked in the top 15 and evened his career record at 40-40. But the Wildcats have only the victory over NAU to show for the 11 games since then, and the final straw was Saturday's 37-27 loss to previously winless Oregon State on Saturday in Corvallis, Ore.

The Wildcats are ranked among the nation's worst defensive teams and have been plagued by poor starts in all five of this season's losses, trailing by at least 22 points in each one.

Arizona is off this week and returns to action with an ESPN-televised home game against UCLA on Thursday, Oct. 20.

In a statement issued by his agent, Neil Cornrich, Stoops said he was most proud of the program's three consecutive bowl appearances.

"When I took this job, I was hoping to be the first coach to lead this program to a Rose Bowl," he said. "Although we fell short of that goal, we made significant progress, and our organization continues to strive for excellence. I wish the entire Wildcat football program the best of luck going forward, and I thank the University of Arizona for the opportunity to be a part of the successes we have achieved over the past eight seasons."

Stoops, 49, was defensive coordinator at Oklahoma under his brother Bob Stoops when he was hired at Arizona in November 2004, replacing John Mackovic. He was able to re-establish respectability to a program that had slid to the bottom of the Pac-10 Conference, taking the Wildcats to three consecutive bowl games from 2008-10.

Kish, 57, has been on Stoops' staff throughout his tenure in Tucson.

"Today is a tough day for the program," Kish said. "It's an important moment, for sure. I appreciate Greg's faith in me to provide leadership to our young men during this difficult time. I've been with Coach Stoops for each of his eight years here and know that we have a strong foundation for not only the future but for our immediate tasks. I know this coaching staff will work hard and support our players as we compete for the remainder of the season. We're here to help these players succeed."

Lol what? His number 10 ranked defense has been whats kept us in games.

yall gave up 35 points two weeks in a row and wake put up more points on yall than they did against syracuse, nc state or boston college

yall are #29 in the country in points allowed

cody, where that sig at w/ them star ratings ?? tongue.png

running game the main problem for yall tho...yall #13 in passing yards but #112 in rushing... where JWJ??... eddie gran need to coach em up

Edited by Billy Ocean

yall gave up 35 points two weeks in a row and wake put up more points on yall than they did against syracuse, nc state or boston college

yall are #29 in the country in points allowed

cody, where that sig at w/ them star ratings ?? tongue.png

running game the main problem for yall tho...yall #13 in passing yards but #112 in rushing... where JWJ??... eddie gran need to coach em up

So basically you're saying you haven't watched a game of ours and you're just going in blind? When the defense stays on the field for almost 70% of the game, their going to give up points. Funny thing is our D does it and is still ranked 10 in the nation.

As for the sig, I'm about to put up Freshman sensation Rashad Greenes stats. I mean dude is a boss.

Our backs aren't the problem. It's the O line that does their best Stevie Wonder impression each time we run the ball.

PS: James Wilder is our leading rusher by the way.

So basically you're saying you haven't watched a game of ours and you're just going in blind? When the defense stays on the field for almost 70% of the game, their going to give up points. Funny thing is our D does it and is still ranked 10 in the nation.

As for the sig, I'm about to put up Freshman sensation Rashad Greenes stats. I mean dude is a boss.

Our backs aren't the problem. It's the O line that does their best Stevie Wonder impression each time we run the ball.

PS: James Wilder is our leading rusher by the way.

I watched a good bit of yalls OKL and Clemson games, but I got that DirecTV package and I flip around a lot if it ain't UGA playing

picked up rashad greene outta free agency in my fantasy league yesterday smile.png ... did UGA recruit him?

and this can't really be your leading rusher, can it?...

James Wilder Jr. #32 RB

ATT: 12 YDS: 85 AVG: 7.1 LONG: 41 TD: 1

Edited by Billy Ocean

I watched a good bit of yalls OKL and Clemson games, but I got that DirecTV package and I flip around a lot if it ain't UGA playing

picked up rashad greene outta free agency in my fantasy league yesterday smile.png ... did UGA recruit him?

and this can't really be your leading rusher, can it?...

James Wilder Jr. #32 RB

Player Card | Game Log

ATT YDS AVG LONG TD 12 85 7.1 41 1

Greene did like UGA a good bit actually.

Yes he is our lead rusher, those numbers are impressive by our running standards this year.

Greene did like UGA a good bit actually.

Yes he is our lead rusher, those numbers are impressive by our running standards this year.

sammy watkins, rashad greene and malcolm mitchell have all been very impressive

man, if it wasn't for clemson's bag man down around orlando... I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have signed mitchell and watkins

you know I'ma MIA fan, but I haven't been keeping as close a tabs on em since UGA been having issues. could you tell me why FSU/MIA is moved to NOV? I liked it better when they played first Saturday in OCT. Is this a temporary thing... like when they played on Labor day?

Its sad to see VGD this bad.... shoulda just stayed at UGA and been an all time great here

BVG's defense is not that bad. The Falcons offense simply likes to give away the ball like its Ben Stein's money. People are going to score points- its the NFL. Give the opposing team 4 turnovers and the other team will score more points. I wonder why in the world Matt Ryan gets a free pass. The guy can mess up as much as he wants and everyone just blames the defense. Remember that the Falcons score ZERO, 0, ZIP, NADA points in the second half against the Packers.