What Happened?

Guest Negatorris

Guest Negatorris

I was bored, so I began watching a bunch of recaps of games from Matt Ryan's rookie year, and it showed near perfect accuracy, and he was also taking shots down field, and they were actually being caught. He was moving out of the pocket, using his legs to get away from defenders who broke past the O-line, and then making great tosses as he was doing so. I haven't much of that this year, and I'm puzzled as to why.

Take a look at this..

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80c56c46/Falcons-34-Saints-20

and this...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80c2761b/Falcons-24-Raiders-0

I want to see more of it this week against a lame Seahawks team.

I was bored, so I began watching a bunch of recaps of games from Matt Ryan's rookie year, and it showed near perfect accuracy, and he was also taking shots down field, and they were actually being caught. He was moving out of the pocket, using his legs to get away from defenders who broke past the O-line, and then making great tosses as he was doing so. I haven't much of that this year, and I'm puzzled as to why.

Take a look at this..

http://www.nfl.com/v...ns-34-Saints-20

and this...

http://www.nfl.com/v...ns-24-Raiders-0

The oline blocking was perfect and Tony Gonzalez was not on the team.

Peyton Manning went from 33/15, 94.7, record 10-7; to 26/23, 84.1, record 6-10 from year 3 to year 4. He only rebounded to 27/19, 88.8, 10-7 in his 5th year.

Drew Brees broke out in year 4 (year 3 of starting) He went 27/7, 104.8, 11-5; to 24/15, 89.2, 9-7 from year 4 to 5.

What needs to stop is the fallacy that great QB's get better on a linear curve year after year. They're affected by the teams they play on and their own growth curves. Ryan is a great QB who will be fine. Whether a QB is regressing or not regressing is not a function of his continued statistical improvement. I don't know what Ryan's ceiling is, but I like thinking of Colts and Chargers fans who became convinced their QB's had regressed when the seas got a little choppy.

What is missing from this observation is also the fact that Turner was racking up quite a handful of yards (1600-1700?) and 17 tds. He was the MVP of our team that year. Teams were having to face the run and playaction all game long. Now teams have decided that they can either blitz and jump our quick routes or get pressure with the front 4 and play coverage on the back end to disrupt Ryan. Years and years of film have changed other teams looks against us. In short, they know our tendencies and plan around what we do well and badly. Good coaching...now we have to adjust.

Guest Negatorris

I agree with you. I don't think Matt is regressing, but his options are being limited thanks to our present O-line and MM. Our O-line was the 2nd best in the league, so why fix something that was never broken. I believe Matt has the athleticism to stretch plays with his legs, and I believe he will have his season where he breaks out as do a lot of the great QBs do, like the ones you listed, LA.

I think the Falcons are trying to rush things, just because we have JJ. Things won't immediately change, and we won't suddenly become an explosive passing team. We have to stick to what we're good at, and that's the run. Michael Turner needs to get a rhythm for the season, so he can start wearing down defenses like he did last year. Then we can start worrying about incorporating the pass plays once the defense is tired since not many defenders can keep up with Jones, or match his vertical. And Tony G's size and strength is hard to beat also. I wish the coaches would realize this and play it smart. Maybe this team can start up another great run.

Peyton Manning went from 33/15, 94.7, record 10-7; to 26/23, 84.1, record 6-10 from year 3 to year 4. He only rebounded to 27/19, 88.8, 10-7 in his 5th year.

Drew Brees broke out in year 4 (year 3 of starting) He went 27/7, 104.8, 11-5; to 24/15, 89.2, 9-7 from year 4 to 5.

What needs to stop is the fallacy that great QB's get better on a linear curve year after year. They're affected by the teams they play on and their own growth curves. Ryan is a great QB who will be fine. Whether a QB is regressing or not regressing is not a function of his continued statistical improvement. I don't know what Ryan's ceiling is, but I like thinking of Colts and Chargers fans who became convinced their QB's had regressed when the seas got a little choppy.

No, what needs to stop is the fallacy that a Ryan is a great QB, when he is actually right now only a good QB. I also wonder why when people make comparisons to Ryan why they always have to compare his numbers to Manning, Brady, Brees etc. He is not in the same league as these guys. I think there are more comparable QB's to compare him too. Maybe one day he will be better than all the above, but let's give it time before we start throwing the word great around.

Getting sacked 5 times per game happened.

This would be a fun drill to watch. Have a 275lb man run straight at you while you throw a football to your friend. The 275lb man slams you to the ground. Throw the football to your friend again.

Repeat this process 5 times. Post it on youtube for all to enjoy, as I'm sure you'll get a million hits. You can name it, "A Day in the Life of Matt Ryan."

So Silly...if we were 3-0 right now, and Ryan made the exact same throws to get us there, you all would still be saying that Ryan is "just outside" of being an elite QB or that he is top 5 now with the loss of Manning. He Has six 300yd games in his first three years, has two this year now after only 3 games this year.

The sky is NOT falling people!!

Take a look at this..

http://www.nfl.com/v...ns-34-Saints-20

and this...

http://www.nfl.com/v...ns-24-Raiders-0

In that Saints Game Matt was on fire. 27 points before the half. I'm wondering about the same thing bro, what happen to our offense? Another thing that's disturbing, the Bootleg MM never tends to give up on. It doesn't work. Notice in the video, Matt already had a defender in his face before he can barely get the ball off.

No, what needs to stop is the fallacy that a Ryan is a great QB, when he is actually right now only a good QB. I also wonder why when people make comparisons to Ryan why they always have to compare his numbers to Manning, Brady, Brees etc. He is not in the same league as these guys. I think there are more comparable QB's to compare him too. Maybe one day he will be better than all the above, but let's give it time before we start throwing the word great around.

I'm using the great QB's intentionally to make a point. In hindsight, we now know that they weren't regressing and hadn't reached their ceilings when their numbers suddenly dropped off. But at the time, there might have been fans who thought, "Peyton's great, but he'll never get the interceptions under control" or "Brees is great, but maybe he just had a fluke great season."