Have We Become An Obese Society?

Andre5000

seems sorta like it. I just returned from Europe and i didnt see any fat people anywhere. I landed here and it was like land of the giants. Its sad when you see people at the mall fighting over the closest parking space and people riding around Costco in electric carts cause they are so fat. You dont see this in any other country. We blame politicians on everything, yet we sit around and get fat. Out healthcare system is going to explode. When all these fat kids grow up and have joint and organ problems at age 25 we are in for a rude awakening. At least they are starting to do commercials about or fatasses.

Ha pretty much a rhetorical question. We are a nation of fatasses like you said. Its embarrassing.

To take a quote from Generation Kill (and I'm not putting race into this..just quoting) "The white man has created a system with so much excess that even poor motherf***ers can get fat" and dammit its true.

You would be amazed at the people in Japan and Okinawa if you see a fat Okinawan your like "**** they actually have them!" They are so much more active here.

I dont know what the real solution is but its embarrassing to know the country you defend is just a big obesity joke to the rest of the world.

Ha pretty much a rhetorical question. We are a nation of fatasses like you said. Its embarrassing.

To take a quote from Generation Kill (and I'm not putting race into this..just quoting) "The white man has created a system with so much excess that even poor motherf***ers can get fat" and dammit its true.

You would be amazed at the people in Japan and Okinawa if you see a fat Okinawan your like "**** they actually have them!" They are so much more active here.

I dont know what the real solution is but its embarrassing to know the country you defend is just a big obesity joke to the rest of the world.

Ive been to some 3rd world countries in Central America that seem happier than we are. They seem to feed themselves. They dont own 20 pairs of Nike's or carry Gucci bags but damned I swear 90% of folks in Costa Rica own cellphones. I think those reality TV shows are poisoning our society. All these american dumbasses think they are not gonna be happy till they have a Prada bag like all those fat girls on Basketball Wives.

Edited by SkiFalcon

you haven't become... you have been for a looong time :D give your thanks to Mickey D and Burger King ;)

(not saying from personal experience, but that's the impression you get when living in Europe.

now my country, Denmark, is starting to go down the same road. it's kinda sad. the government here is actually using the people's tax money on fat reducing operations, on the seriously obese people.

Ive been to some 3rd world countries in Central America that seem happier than we are. They seem to feed themselves. They dont own 20 pairs of Nike's or carry Gucci bags but damned I swear 90% of folks in Costa Rica own cellphones. I think those reality TV shows are poisoning our society. All these american dumbasses think they are not gonna be happy till they have a Prada bag like all those fat girls on Basketball Wives.

don't say think... you hit bullseye here IMO.

Obesity is a problem for most first world nations based on the fact that we are increasingly becoming more inactive. Even in active societies like Australia is it now labeled an epidemic(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_Australia)

We are even trying to tackle it wrong. On Fox 5 they continuously show a commercial with a fat kid complaining about being picked on for being fat, and the commercial saying something like "Being fat takes the fun out of being a kid". That literally is a load of bollocks because even as far back as my childhood(90's and 00's) I remember fat kids being made fun of along with Latinos, short people, ugly people, and black people. If we are going to attack the issue, then lets attack the issue. Lets not act like kids discriminate and treat that specific perceived disability any different than the other perceived(At least in our societies) disabilities listed above.

I think that the statistics clearly show that we are getting fatter in the US--that really isn't a point of disagreement. It's very unhealthy and it boggles my mind that obese people can't/won't take the steps to bring their weight/size down to something that resembles a reasonable Body Mass Index. Yes, weight loss is difficult, but it's not as difficult as trying to survive a heart attack, a quadruple bypass, diabetes, or any of the other obesity related maladies.

What drives me crazy is the fat/large/obese people who whine and complain because their girth doesn't fit into places/spaces where the rest of us can. Been to Disney lately? The number of 'large' people cruising around on those motorized scooters is growing exponentially--and aside from those who have a 'non-fat' reason for the carts, it's these large people who can use the walking exercise the most.

Too_Fat_To_Walk.jpg

Don't want to pay for two seats on an airplane? Lose some weight. Perhaps stop eating fast-food and consider carrots instead of a bag of Frito's as your snack. Here's another Fat Person article that made me SMH and say WTF:

http://today.msnbc.m...r-small-booths/

Obesity is a problem for most first world nations based on the fact that we are increasingly becoming more inactive. Even in active societies like Australia is it now labeled an epidemic(http://en.wikipedia....ty_in_Australia)

We are even trying to tackle it wrong. On Fox 5 they continuously show a commercial with a fat kid complaining about being picked on for being fat, and the commercial saying something like "Being fat takes the fun out of being a kid". That literally is a load of bollocks because even as far back as my childhood(90's and 00's) I remember fat kids being made fun of along with Latinos, short people, ugly people, and black people. If we are going to attack the issue, then lets attack the issue. Lets not act like kids discriminate and treat that specific perceived disability any different than the other perceived(At least in our societies) disabilities listed above.

i agree, kids are gonna pick on kids who are different, thatll never change.

Obesity has other, more serious consequences though. for instance, it looks like my generation is gonna foot the bill for these fat-*** baby boomers when they retire.

you haven't become... you have been for a looong time :D give your thanks to Mickey D and Burger King ;)

(not saying from personal experience, but that's the impression you get when living in Europe.

now my country, Denmark, is starting to go down the same road. it's kinda sad. the government here is actually using the people's tax money on fat reducing operations, on the seriously obese people.

Dang, i always assumed Denmark was healthy

I blame that **** Pong game followed by the Atari 2600 for my demise...

Space Invaders !!!!!! Galaga !!!!

I think that the statistics clearly show that we are getting fatter in the US--that really isn't a point of disagreement. It's very unhealthy and it boggles my mind that obese people can't/won't take the steps to bring their weight/size down to something that resembles a reasonable Body Mass Index. Yes, weight loss is difficult, but it's not as difficult as trying to survive a heart attack, a quadruple bypass, diabetes, or any of the other obesity related maladies.

What drives me crazy is the fat/large/obese people who whine and complain because their girth doesn't fit into places/spaces where the rest of us can. Been to Disney lately? The number of 'large' people cruising around on those motorized scooters is growing exponentially--and aside from those who have a 'non-fat' reason for the carts, it's these large people who can use the walking exercise the most.

Too_Fat_To_Walk.jpg

Don't want to pay for two seats on an airplane? Lose some weight. Perhaps stop eating fast-food and consider carrots instead of a bag of Frito's as your snack. Here's another Fat Person article that made me SMH and say WTF:

http://today.msnbc.m...r-small-booths/

That is one thing that pisses me off. the excuse of being overweight to use the carts. And complaining that you cant fit. companies/people shouldnt have to conform to your bad habits.

seems sorta like it. I just returned from Europe and i didnt see any fat people anywhere. I landed here and it was like land of the giants. Its sad when you see people at the mall fighting over the closest parking space and people riding around Costco in electric carts cause they are so fat. You dont see this in any other country. We blame politicians on everything, yet we sit around and get fat. Out healthcare system is going to explode. When all these fat kids grow up and have joint and organ problems at age 25 we are in for a rude awakening. At least they are starting to do commercials about or fatasses.

I know it is each person's responsibility to not eat crappy and get fat---but does any of the blame fall on the companies making and pushing all this fat food? Why does it cost more to eat healthy anyway?

kim kardashian is the freaking queen of American excess and do nothings

I know it is each person's responsibility to not eat crappy and get fat---but does any of the blame fall on the companies making and pushing all this fat food? Why does it cost more to eat healthy anyway?

it isn't always more expensive to eat healthy, but it is more difficult and time consuming. you have to cook for yourself, even the "healthy" options restaurants offer are usually inadequate. dont confuse healthy with "organic" here, thats a whole separate scam.

the companies push fattening food because it makes them money, and the nature of a company is to make money. we buy **** loaded up with HFCS, and the companies take notice. i don't see how that will change.

You are 100% correct on the first part of your statement, but no so much on asking about blame falling on the fast food providers. I think it's another form of whining to blame anyone else, after all: they aren't forcing the food into your mouth, right? Time to stand up and take responsibility and control over what we do and what we eat, without looking for an excuse to say "it's not my fault."

IMHO, you vote with your dollars. Nobody forces anybody else to buy and consume junk/fast food, regardless of the advertising pressure. We're all responsible for our own choices. Period. If we want to start 'blaming' Corporate entities for our collective fatness, then we should 'blame' them financially, by not eating in their restaurants, which would eventually put them out of business. Let kids whine about not getting a happy meal: last time I checked it was the parents who were the adults and were responsible for making the choices.

If you cook at home more and eat out less, you can easily make choices that are more cost effective and healthy: it just takes more effort and planning. Sorry to be such a hard azz on this, but I'm tired of the average American looking for someone else to blame for our collective bad choices. Fat people need to look at themselves in the mirror say "Jeez...I'm fat" and start taking responsibility for getting down to a reasonable weight. It won't happen overnight, but then again they didn't suddenly wake up one morning and discover that they are 100 lbs. over-weight. Right?

Dang, i always assumed Denmark was healthy

Space Invaders !!!!!! Galaga !!!!

well, we are, mostly, and a lot of people are eating very healthy food, and jogging all the time, but the number of obese people is increasing. it's TV and video games, that's changing the youth, i'm afraid... caught up in it a bit myself too, alhough i stay in shape as well.

You are 100% correct on the first part of your statement, but no so much on asking about blame falling on the fast food providers. I think it's another form of whining to blame anyone else, after all: they aren't forcing the food into your mouth, right? Time to stand up and take responsibility and control over what we do and what we eat, without looking for an excuse to say "it's not my fault."

IMHO, you vote with your dollars. Nobody forces anybody else to buy and consume junk/fast food, regardless of the advertising pressure. We're all responsible for our own choices. Period. If we want to start 'blaming' Corporate entities for our collective fatness, then we should 'blame' them financially, by not eating in their restaurants, which would eventually put them out of business. Let kids whine about not getting a happy meal: last time I checked it was the parents who were the adults and were responsible for making the choices.

If you cook at home more and eat out less, you can easily make choices that are more cost effective and healthy: it just takes more effort and planning. Sorry to be such a hard azz on this, but I'm tired of the average American looking for someone else to blame for our collective bad choices. Fat people need to look at themselves in the mirror say "Jeez...I'm fat" and start taking responsibility for getting down to a reasonable weight. It won't happen overnight, but then again they didn't suddenly wake up one morning and discover that they are 100 lbs. over-weight. Right?

This is what blows my mind. Recently you hear parents complaining to McDonalds about their fattening food, which in turn is making their kids fat. Well no one is forcing you to take your kid to McDonalds...

Is it any real wonder why we are obese? The word RESPONSIBILITY has been virtually eliminated from our society. We are taught that we are entitled to our jobs, our way of life, the roof over our head.

Everything is always someone else's fault. Take the anti-bullying campaign. We have kids that are killing themselves because they are bullied. Kids are bullied for a reason. Be it a name, color, shape, clothing, or who they associate with. Sometimes its a lousy reason, but sometimes kids do need to conform. I'm not saying it's right, but I think being bullied adds character. Parents need to stop coddling their kids and let them fall down and pick themselves back up. We are raising a society of pansies...and FAT pansies at that.

Is it any real wonder why we are obese? The word RESPONSIBILITY has been virtually eliminated from our society. We are taught that we are entitled to our jobs, our way of life, the roof over our head.

Everything is always someone else's fault. Take the anti-bullying campaign. We have kids that are killing themselves because they are bullied. Kids are bullied for a reason. Be it a name, color, shape, clothing, or who they associate with. Sometimes its a lousy reason, but sometimes kids do need to conform. I'm not saying it's right, but I think being bullied adds character. Parents need to stop coddling their kids and let them fall down and pick themselves back up. We are raising a society of pansies...and FAT pansies at that.

Kids go to school to learn, not to have their self esteem ruined by the children of slaves, borderjumpers, and white trash. Bullying even ruins gpas of already high risk students(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/23/bullying-victims-see-lowe_n_933988.html). In our society, which congratulates intellectual mediocrity, I would rather my kid die than conform one Iota to these future McDonalds workers and cannon fodder for corporate masters.

Kids go to school to learn, not to have their self esteem ruined by the children of slaves, borderjumpers, and white trash. Bullying even ruins gpas of already high risk students(http://www.huffingto...e_n_933988.html). In our society, which congratulates intellectual mediocrity, I would rather my kid die than conform one Iota to these future McDonalds workers and cannon fodder for corporate masters.

Kids go to school to learn how to be people. Parents try to remove the socialization aspect of childhood. By all means, Julian, coddle your kids, and watch them grow up to be pansies.

It has NOTHING to do with responsibility. I don't even know how you could make such a nebulous statement.

It has to do with the quality of food, food education and the standard of living to which people have become accustomed. Our communication is sedentary, our entertainment is sedentary, our interactions are sedentary, our work is largely sedentary, and both parents have to work to make ends meet, which forces poor food choices, even for people who actually know how to make good food choices.

Food subsidies have forced GMO corn into every conceivable product, this making what used to be a simple loaf of bread into a torpedo of diabetic garbage. Cheap food is made out of awful products, and as the middle class shrinks and becomes poorer and poorer, they will have less and less access to nutritional food. as this population has grown, so has the obesity and diabetes rate in the US.