Are We More Like The Colts Than We Realize?

Falconsfan567

Are we going down the exact same road the Colts when down several years ago? Just think back to the early years of the Colts dynasty with Peyton Manning. The Colts went 13-3 in Peyton's 2nd season. The Falcons went 13-3 in Ryan's 3rd season. The Colts followed up that 13-3 season by losing at home in the playoffs at home to the Titans who went on to lose the SB. The Falcons lost to the Packers at home who went on to win the SB. The next season the Colts went 10-6 but lost again in the playoffs and all the talk was Peyton Manning puts up great regular season numbers but chokes in the playoffs. All the talk going into this year is that Matt Ryan puts up great regular season numbers but chokes in the playoffs. In year 4 in 2001 the Colts completely fell apart going 6-10 and Manning had argueable the worst season of his career aside from his rookie season. The Colts defense was pathetic as well giving up over 30 points per game. After the season the Colts fired Jim Mora Sr. and hired Tony Dungy. While Mora himself was a defensive minded coach he for whatever reason couldn't put a good enough defense on the field to take some of the pressure off Peyton. Dungy and the Colts eventually won the SB in 2006 thanks in large part to that defense. This is year 4 for Matt Ryan and so far the season has gotten off to a horrible start and while the defense played well yesterday there are major issues with this team. While Mike Smith is a defensive minded coach I think we need to make a change to the HC after the season if things don't improve. I love Smith but this team has the same issues in year 4 as we had in year 1.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are more like the current Colts, all their success rests on one person making one play, TURNER UP THE MIDDLE!!

OLIVE!! OLIVE!! OLIVE!!

3 points

1. We don't have Peyton Manning, we have Ryan.

3. They had Tony Dungy, a far better coach than Smith

2. We are not the Colts, we are the Falcons.

Try again though.

Matt Ryan is capable of being as good as Peyton Manning. They didn't get Tony Dunga till they fired Jim Mora Sr, Remember the whole "PLAYOFFS!" rant? It came from that 2001 season.

Matt Ryan is capable of being as good as Peyton Manning. They didn't get Tony Dunga till they fired Jim Mora Sr, Remember the whole "PLAYOFFS!" rant? It came from that 2001 season.

Look little buddy. Matt Ryan is no where close to Peyton manning. I absolutely love Matt Ryan but is he capable of being as good as probably the greatest quarterback of all time? Hack no.

Also the titans have never won the superbowl

I totally see the comparison.. And I'm not comparing Ryan to Manning . But I love the fact that people bash ryan's capabilities all the time. You may not see it now but 4 years down the line who knows he might be great... What if ryan goes to another team and his skills are fully used and he puts up career high numbers. Nobody thought Peyton Manning was the greatest quarterback ever when he first started out. Neither did anyone think drew brees was that great....it takes time. You have to think about the way the Atlanta falcons play...that may be limiting ryan's numbers. What if we were a pass first offense would ryan's deep balls be better. What if MM let him do no huddle all the time...I think in time ryan will get better.

I totally see the comparison.. And I'm not comparing Ryan to Manning . But I love the fact that people bash ryan's capabilities all the time. You may not see it now but 4 years down the line who knows he might be great... What if ryan goes to another team and his skills are fully used and he puts up career high numbers. Nobody thought Peyton Manning was the greatest quarterback ever when he first started out. Neither did anyone think drew brees was that great....it takes time. You have to think about the way the Atlanta falcons play...that may be limiting ryan's numbers. What if we were a pass first offense would ryan's deep balls be better. What if MM let him do no huddle all the time...I think in time ryan will get better.

To be clear I an not doubting Matt Ryans capabilities because I think he is avoid with a chance to be real good or great. But when manning was in his 4th year it would have been silly to say he was capable of being Unitas or whoever your favorite g.o.a.t. Is. The greatest players are never "the next so and so" they make their own mark. Matt Ryan is not Peyton manning.

To be clear I an not doubting Matt Ryans capabilities because I think he is avoid with a chance to be real good or great. But when manning was in his 4th year it would have been silly to say he was capable of being Unitas or whoever your favorite g.o.a.t. Is. The greatest players are never "the next so and so" they make their own mark. Matt Ryan is not Peyton manning.

I know and i don't want him to be...he needs to make his own mark I agree.

Are we going down the exact same road the Colts when down several years ago? Just think back to the early years of the Colts dynasty with Peyton Manning. The Colts went 13-3 in Peyton's 2nd season. The Falcons went 13-3 in Ryan's 3rd season. The Colts followed up that 13-3 season by losing at home in the playoffs at home to the Titans who went on to win the SB. The Falcons lost to the Packers at home who went on to win the SB. The next season the Colts went 10-6 but lost again in the playoffs and all the talk was Peyton Manning puts up great regular season numbers but chokes in the playoffs. All the talk going into this year is that Matt Ryan puts up great regular season numbers but chokes in the playoffs. In year 4 in 2001 the Colts completely fell apart going 6-10 and Manning had argueable the worst season of his career aside from his rookie season. The Colts defense was pathetic as well giving up over 30 points per game. After the season the Colts fired Jim Mora Sr. and hired Tony Dungy. While Mora himself was a defensive minded coach he for whatever reason couldn't put a good enough defense on the field to take some of the pressure off Peyton. Dungy and the Colts eventually won the SB in 2006 thanks in large part to that defense. This is year 4 for Matt Ryan and so far the season has gotten off to a horrible start and while the defense played well yesterday there are major issues with this team. While Mike Smith is a defensive minded coach I think we need to make a change to the HC after the season if things don't improve. I love Smith but this team has the same issues in year 4 as we had in year 1.

The colts have won ONE Superbowl with Manning. They have never been a dynasty.

Look little buddy. Matt Ryan is no where close to Peyton manning. I absolutely love Matt Ryan but is he capable of being as good as probably the greatest quarterback of all time? Hack no.

Also the titans have never won the superbowl

Right now no. But when you have guys that played in the NFL saying Matt Ryan is as capable of running an offense the same way Peyton Manning does it makes you really think why we don't see that week in and week out.

And whoever said the Titans won the Super Bowl? Where did that come from?

• 7 months later...
Guest ¡Spot on Dtan!

BUMP!

I think this thread is still relevant. I think we are still on this same kind of path.

Agreed.

I have been saying it for 2 years now.

It's time for a coach who realizes we are in 2012, not 1972.

I think we could be like the Colts of 2011 if Matt Ryan gets hurt early in the season. Chris Redman would be more like Curtis Painter (Colts) than a halfway decent backup who could actually win some games. Yeah he won a game against the pitiful 3-13 Bucs in 2009 at the end of the game but that's not saying much considering the opposition. The next week he was soundly thrashed by the Iggles. We are playing with fire by not bringing in someone better or drafting a decent backup. Just like Bill Polian, Dimitroff is going to reap what he has sewn by sticking with Redman too long. Now if Redman was our 3rd string QB then I would think it was great but to be the backup QB? Laughable at best. At least Rich McKay knew the value of getting a good backup with Matt Schaub and getting good value by trading him off while his stock was up and getting some good picks in the second round (Picks TD wasted on Sam Baker).