This Team Does Not Have An Idea What It Wants To Be - No Identity

beernuts

for the past several years, it is clear what the Falcons were - they were a running team - they were built to be a running team and while they could certainly pass the ball, the bread and butter was running the football.

Right now, the offense has no idea what it is - they have these toys and that indicates the could be a passing team - but Mularky does not want to be a passing team - so what is it they are trying to do on offense? it does not seem like they are trying to establish the run, and yet it seems like they really do not want to abandon the run - we all heard it after game 1, how come the falcon are not going for all those explosive plays we have been promised? its becuase that is not the way this team is built

this is why, in my opinion, the offense runs so much better in the no huddle - at that point the offensive identity of the team is "whatever the defense does not want us to be" - I don't think that is a great way to win games in the long run

it is also why our offense line looks so much worse - the line was put together with the idea of smash mouth, up the gut running - maybe have a few three and outs, but when the other side gets tired here we come - that is not the way they are being asked to play this year - its all about pass rush and this line has really not been good the past three years when the other team was just rushing the passer - now that is the case from teh get go

Mularky has to go after this season so that the Falcons can build an identity based on the pieces they actually have, not what they had four years ago

You can't establish an identity if your OL can neither pass or run block consistently.

We shouldn't be establishing an identity at this point. We should be running Turner right down the throat of our opponents, and using the play-action to go deep (or at least medium-deep) once in a while. We should still be able to run the ball effectively and control the clock, and I really don't know why we haven't been able to do that this season. I think we might be too amped about our new toys, and forgetting what gave us a 13-3 record last year.. Don't stray too far from that formula yet, even though we really need some more creative playcalling - at the moment we have to go with what this team was build to do in the first place, in order to get the offense going. So first and foremost, we need to be able to run the ball, because or Oline cannot block for passes down the field.

Edited by niels petersen

me and Don Banks - on the same page

"Atlanta's real issue may be that it's in transition as far as its offensive identity. The Falcons don't seem to know yet whether they want to throw it open and be a quarterback-driven, passing-first offense, or keep one foot in their recent past, with Turner's blend of power and speed running being essential to their formula for success."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/09/27/flawed/index.html#ixzz1ZB1a7sdp