So Many Issues With The Offense

bdog 29

After all the hype this offseason, it's really disheartening to think that we're one fluke injury away from being 0-3. This team has not been impressive at all and it's largely because of the offense. The o line is terrible and I can't understand why. We lost one guy and the position we lost isn't even the one being abused consistently. That is the main problem with the offense but there are a few more. I'm not as big on changing coordinators as much as a lot of people on these boards but I do think a big part of our problems is coaching.

First, I think it was idiotic for that our coaches and Dimitroff advertised our gameplan all summer. All the talk about wanting to be "explosive" made it obvious to our opponents exactly what we'll be trying to do. That's why so many people are playing Cover 2 against us. They know exactly what we'll be looking for and are shutting it down. I know many people will hate the idea but I think we need to go back to what we were doing last year. Controlling the clock and pounding the ball. Then when teams start playing to stop that, the big plays will be there for the taking.

Second, Mularkey's definition of "explosive" is so off that it's sickening. It seems from the balls we've seen Matt try to throw that our coaches think the only explosive routes out there are streaks. It seems like the only real changes he's made are making deep balls the 1st read rather than the 2nd or 3rd. Aside from that though, everything seems the same. Newsflash: Screens can be explosive, crossing patterns that take allow the receiver to get YAC can explosive, slants can be explosive, even corner routes can be explosive. Despite this, this offense still hinges largely on comeback and curl routes (ironically the least explosive routes out there). I like Mike Mularkey but I think this is a big disadvantage of his offense. He needs to get more creative with these route combinations.

Last and least importantly, the belief that Julio Jones was going to open up our offense was just wrong. Before people stop ripping on me, let me explain that I love Julio as our receiver and think he'll be a good one for many years to come. With that said, I've never thought Julio was a good complement to Roddy White. I've always thought complements had different skill sets from each other and excel in the areas the other doesn't. Julio Jones has almost the exact same skill set as Roddy White: big and strong. If Roddy White wasn't getting us huge explosive plays, it's erroneous to think that Julio Jones will. Not to rehash this argument but AJ Green is a complement to White and Jones. He's more of a finesse guy and is a field stretcher. Julio Jones has never been a field stretcher. He gets YAC and is tough but he doesn't have the pure speed to stretch the field like Green. I see Julio more as a guy who'll take over for Roddy when all is said and done but I really don't think he was the receiver we needed (glad to have him though).

couldn't bring myself to read all that but maybe teams are running cover 2 against us is because.....we have played cover 2 defenses, thats what the Bears and Bucs have run for a while. and Julio has legit 4.3 speed, plenty fast enough to stretch the field. but yeah the offense has major issues. Issue 1) Mularkey is a bunch of his last name and 2) the oline is turrible, just turrible

I agree that we need to go back to what we do well and that's a ball control offense. Let the big plays come to you, instead of forcing the issue. I disagree w/ your opinion of Julio though. Yes he's a YAC type of WR, but that's exactly what we need in a WR if we stick to the ball control offense. Plus, as CWELL mentioned, he's got plenty of speed to stretch the field.