Game, Set, Match....falcons Have 1 Problem - O-Line

g-dawg

While it has always been thought that the greatest weakness of the Falcons was the pass-rush or the secondary.......it is obvious through 3 games the problems begin and end at the offensive line.

If something is not done soon, Chris Redman will be our starting QB by week#7. The Falcons defense played "good enough" Sunday on the road. Josh Freeman was very pedestrian and yet the Falcons did not compete until the 4th quarter due to Falcons offensive line.

Everyone says "go to the hurry-up offense" and Falcons did, should and will but its sad to think this is the only way our offensive line can compete.

We have to go with the garbage we have on the O-Line this year but I don't know how a playoff team can have such a serious flaw. Falcons cannot go to the playoffs unless they clean up this O-Line thing - and in a hurry. Given that the O-Line has been a problem the first three games and no adjustments have been made does not give me confidence that we are going to get this corrected.

Falcons "babied" Matt Ryan along his first three years with conservative play calls and I always thought it was just being superconservative and "run, run, run" mentality of MM. Maybe it was just they wanted to hide the superbad o-line play on pass blocking.

either way, Falcons are screwed unless the pass-blocking dramatically improves - what do you think the blitz-happy Saints defense and the blitz-happy Packers are going to do to the Falcons O-Line and Matt Ryan? HINT: it won't be pretty.

While Baker is horrid and McClure should have stayed injured (see botched snap and the play where Blalock got called for holding because McClure completely ignored the fact that McCoy found a hole), playcalling isn't helping.

I agree we need to improve the line but we also need a more innovative playcaller to get to the next level...

Remember how many times people like Peter King would trumpet about how good our O-line is using phrases like "the whole is better than the sum of the parts". Most of the parts are still there, but the problems go deeper than the lines performance. The play design and calling is pedestrian while the WR's just don't get enough separation. The are not enough big plays to counteract the negative plays. Starts with the O-line, but certainly doesn't end with them.

Our special teams unit is horrible as well. Bosher can't kick, Weems fair catches returnable balls, the only bright spot is Bryant. Our offense, not just our offense line is a mess as well. I know ppl love Turner and Ryan on this board, but those two have seemed to regress. Roddy White has also been a ball dropping machine.

Remember how many times people like Peter King would trumpet about how good our O-line is using phrases like "the whole is better than the sum of the parts". Most of the parts are still there, but the problems go deeper than the lines performance. The play design and calling is pedestrian while the WR's just don't get enough separation. The are not enough big plays to counteract the negative plays. Starts with the O-line, but certainly doesn't end with them.

The positive reputation for the O-Line coming into this year was never deserved. Falcons ran a "dink-n-dunk" offense from 2008-2010 and every time Matt got pressured he threw the ball out of bounds. The offensive lines inefficiency has been hidden and did not show up on the stat sheet the last three years but was apparent to all who watched the games and paid attention.

When Falcons drafted Julio - they put pressure on themselves to change and get more aggressive - I agree that more explosive plays and passes down the field was and still are needed. The problem is that now the O-Line that was never good at pass blocking is being properly exposed.

The O-Line never even had a chance to get in synch.

11 carries for 20 yards. That's what our illustrious offensive coordinator thought we should do with our pro-bowl running back for this game.Against a team we have always had success running the ball against.

Turner and Snelling (along with Quizz) should have combined for close to 40 touches in this game.

That would have kept the defense from pinning thier ears back and playing 'kill the man with the ball' all game.

If we cant keep defenses honest with balanced play-calling then Ryan is gonna get killed. I dont care who's blocking for him. Any team that goes one-dimensional sets themselves up for a loss every time.

The positive reputation for the O-Line coming into this year was never deserved. Falcons ran a "dink-n-dunk" offense from 2008-2010 and every time Matt got pressured he threw the ball out of bounds. The offensive lines inefficiency has been hidden and did not show up on the stat sheet the last three years but was apparent to all who watched the games and paid attention.

When Falcons drafted Julio - they put pressure on themselves to change and get more aggressive - I agree that more explosive plays and passes down the field was and still are needed. The problem is that now the O-Line that was never good at pass blocking is being properly exposed.

yea ive always said that 2010 was smoke and mirrors. It was effective but it was definitely a team built for regular season success. The genius staff decided to trot out the exact same offense without their bully (Dahl), and pray that NFL coordinators dont watch film and make adjustments. The offense last year was run, run, pass to TG or Roddy on 3rd and 5. If Ryan had pressure he would throw it in the stands. It was as simple an offense as there was in the entire NFL

I don't know if this has been brought up or not but do you think it is MM killing the OLine?

I was at the game sandwiched between a Dolphins fan and a Bucs fan and they could call out run and pass plays. This was their first time watching the Falcons this season obviously but even they could tell what the play was. So if the defense knows which personnel we run out of and pass out of, don't you think they will attack accordingly? We got lucky vs the Eagles because they aren't built to stop the run or TEs. But a lot of teams are.

When Ryan operated the no huddle, all of the playmakers were on the field and rotated thoroughly for much of the second half and the offense consistently marched in the fourth qtr. You couldn't lock in one any one play because Ryan ran everything in the playbook: draws, screens, smoke screens, runs and passes. The defense was on their toes and Ryan was dictating to them as opposed to reacting. That's his game. MM likes to see what they show then run his play. That is a very conservative approach for a high octane offense.

We have more than 1 problem. I agree that the o-line is much weaker this year compared to years past. The loss of Dahl has hurt in the running game and Baker has digressed horribly.

But Roddy also needs to learn was YAC is and Mularkey has to go or just put the offense in Ryan's hand. They touted him like Peyton Manning - let him be Peyton Manning and run this offense the way he wants.

I don't know if this has been brought up or not but do you think it is MM killing the OLine?

I was at the game sandwiched between a Dolphins fan and a Bucs fan and they could call out run and pass plays. This was their first time watching the Falcons this season obviously but even they could tell what the play was. So if the defense knows which personnel we run out of and pass out of, don't you think they will attack accordingly? We got lucky vs the Eagles because they aren't built to stop the run or TEs. But a lot of teams are.

When Ryan operated the no huddle, all of the playmakers were on the field and rotated thoroughly for much of the second half and the offense consistently marched in the fourth qtr. You couldn't lock in one any one play because Ryan ran everything in the playbook: draws, screens, smoke screens, runs and passes. The defense was on their toes and Ryan was dictating to them as opposed to reacting. That's his game. MM likes to see what they show then run his play. That is a very conservative approach for a high octane offense.

yeah Vel - MM is part of the problem for sure - but the O-Line not being able to block, I won't lay that at Mularkey's feet. O-Lineman need to "man up".

We have more than 1 problem. I agree that the o-line is much weaker this year compared to years past. The loss of Dahl has hurt in the running game and Baker has digressed horribly.

But Roddy also needs to learn was YAC is and Mularkey has to go or just put the offense in Ryan's hand. They touted him like Peyton Manning - let him be Peyton Manning and run this offense the way he wants.

give Matt Ryan some "Peyton Manning or Tom Brady protection" and you will see a QB who is much closer to them than you think right now.

give Matt Ryan some "Peyton Manning or Tom Brady protection" and you will see a QB who is much closer to them than you think right now.

They analyzed Tom Brady last week on NFL network and said that he makes his line look better. He senses the rush and gets rid of the ball quicker than almost any other QB in the league. He also throws at almost the same clip when he is flushed out of the pocket. Teams blitz him nonstop because the knock on him is that he doesn't like to be hit. Its very hard and frustrating on Dlinemen because he moves around the pocket so well.

I don't get how the Falcons go from having one of the best offensive lines in football -- definitely one of the 3 best run blocking lines -- go from 19 sacks a season ago, to 13 in three games, and getting stoned in the running game. I don't think there's one simple direction to point the finger. The fronts are being identified, the protections are being changed, they're just getting whipped man-to-man. It's a shame because you can't have any doubts that the Falcons would have left Tampa with a win yesterday had the offensive line not given up 4 sacks.

This team is starting to shape up nicely in so many other areas.

I don't get how the Falcons go from having one of the best offensive lines in football -- definitely one of the 3 best run blocking lines -- go from 19 sacks a season ago, to 13 in three games, and getting stoned in the running game. I don't think there's one simple direction to point the finger. The fronts are being identified, the protections are being changed, they're just getting whipped man-to-man. It's a shame because you can't have any doubts that the Falcons would have left Tampa with a win yesterday had the offensive line not given up 4 sacks.

go back and read my starting message post and you will know why the Falcons supposed great blocking is being exposed.

Smoke

and

Mirrors

Opposing coaches looks at film as well.. Reynolds is still playing too high.. He was playing too high in preseason and he was getting destroyed.. That has yet to be corrected. Baker is slow footed and speed rusher usually run right pass him, this has been his problem for 3 years.. Tendencies are noted and weakness are exposed..

I was at the game sandwiched between a Dolphins fan and a Bucs fan and they could call out run and pass plays. This was their first time watching the Falcons this season obviously but even they could tell what the play was. So if the defense knows which personnel we run out of and pass out of, don't you think they will attack accordingly?

I've been screaming this for a while now. It is way too easy to figure out what play is coming based on our personell and how we line up. If a guy with only high school football experience under his belt can spot it from the couch, I'm pretty sure the other team can figure it out pretty easily as well. Too predictible on both sides of the football along with offensive line protection strength consisting of wet toilet paper would be my main gripes with this football team right now. Get it fixed now coaches.

go back and read my starting message post and you will know why the Falcons supposed great blocking is being exposed.

Smoke

and

Mirrors

Opposing coaches looks at film as well.. Reynolds is still playing too high.. He was playing too high in preseason and he was getting destroyed.. That has yet to be corrected. Baker is slow footed and speed rusher usually run right pass him, this has been his problem for 3 years.. Tendencies are noted and weakness are exposed..

Your basic sentiments are that the line wasn't that good to begin with. Not sure I totally agree. Man for man, they never blew anyone away with talent, but the unit played good ball. And that doesn't totally explain the run blocking. I've seen a lot of penetration from the front 4 against this team that I say last season and the season before where they would push teams off the LOS.

When it comes to pass blocking, I don't even know where to start. Last year, I wasn't ecstatic, but Ryan could at least set up. The pocket didn't consistently collapse from the interior like it did this season... did it? It wouldn't be so bad if it were pressure from the edges because QB's just step up from that. But the pressure coming from the interior, and it's not just Reynolds. Blalock got walked back to Ryan a few times yesterday. When you get interior pressure, that's an affront to a lineman's manhood, because it's just man on man inside, not the skilled athletes that are on the perimeter.

Baker just never looked ready to play this season. Don't know what his off-season program consisted of. Maybe he's not a self-starter, but he was at least serviceable last year. Now he gets beaten on the first step, and when he does get hands on a guy, just gets walked back into the quarterback. It's embarrassing to watch.

whether you agree or not, doesn't make it any less true.

It could very well be the case that they simply never were that good. I can dig that. But I'm just at a loss as to why the level of performance has so sharply dropped across the board with largely the same group. If it was just the young right guard getting beat, I could go with that. But these same middle of the road pros (Baker, Blalock, McClure, Clabo) were a cohesive unit last year and are now they're getting run through like a Division II team matchuped up against the University of Alabama.

19 sacks last season vs. 13 in 3 games? McClure comes back and they still give up 4 and pressure from every position.

It's disturbing and even more so because offensive line problems tend to not get fixed without an offseason and new players. I guess I'd like to stay in denial about that for a few more weeks, and hope the problem is something that can be pointed to and fixed promptly.

That's the same thing I'm trying to tell the Falcons haters is that our team is fine with the exception of our offensive line but we could of had a chance to win yesterday if Corey Peters wouldn't of fell for that weak *** hard count but I'm not panicing just yet because we play Seattle this Sunday now if we by some chance lose this ******* game something must really be wrong.

Baker has actually regressed.

This line has 2 guys that aren't starting material at all, 2 guys who are barely starting material at this point in their careers, and 1 guy who is solid.

It's a bad group right now. Blalock is the most disappointing because he just got that fat contract.

Baker has actually regressed.

This line has 2 guys that aren't starting material at all, 2 guys who are barely starting material at this point in their careers, and 1 guy who is solid.

It's a bad group right now. Blalock is the most disappointing because he just got that fat contract.

I still don't get why Dimitroff gave Blalock 6yrs and $38million.....bizarre. Blalock is not the problem but he's not worth that.