Rev's Thoughts From The Bucs Game

Rev_Hal

I’m not going to pick apart yesterday’s game like I normally do. That would take 4 hours to write up. I’m going to focus on some key’s from yesterday, and address where I think the team is right now.

1. I know it is early in the season and we have time to turn it around, but as of today, this is a bad football team. Period. No if’s ands or buts. In the first 3 games, this team has been lousy. The win against the Eagles was ugly, but showed we had some heart that night. The defense has been spotty, but is showing some improvement. The offense appears to be getting worse, and our special teams are a joke.

2. Penalties, turnovers, and negative plays have been rampant this year. The Bucs game was the absolute worst regular season game that has been played in the Smith era. The Falcons do not look prepared. I wonder if the players all bought into the hype of this being a Super Bowl team, because everyone’s play has been pretty bad.

3. Matt Bosher is not NFL level talent. I am sure he is a wonderful person and I wish him all the best, but the Falcons better have a new punter by Sunday. Bosher = points for the other team.

4. I cannot believe that the loss of arguably our 4th best offensive lineman is causing the complete meltdown that is happening now. Dahl was good, but was no superstar. The o-line is a mess. Ryan is getting killed.

5. Corey Peters in not why we lost on Sunday, but he is a shining example of what the problem might be. To jump offsides in a situation where you KNOW they are trying to make you jump is bush league. This team has no discipline at all, and that folks comes from the coaching staff. All across the board, this team has not once shown up ready to play. That is coaching.

6. Whatever is causing the sloppy play and lackluster effort needs to be fixed. There is so much going wrong that someone needs to look at the whole situation and stop the bleeding. My mom would say that the team needs a “come to Jesus” meeting and get this train back on track.

7. I understand that this team has a lot of talent and can turn things around. I hope they do. I want them to. But the only thing we have as fans to judge by is what happens on the field. After 3 games, it may be time for the fans to lower the expectations of just how good this team is. If we continue to play at this level, forget the playoffs or even a winning season. The team needs a drastic attitude adjustment RIGHT NOW to turn this around.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad but true, Rev.

1 and 4 definitely tie together. Opposing team DT's *AND* DE's are getting pressure/sacks on a 4-man rush. Let me clarify that; they are destroying our line. Watching Sam Baker get abused reminds me of the pinball scene in The Accused. The kid'll need a rape kit by the bye week.

3: Bosher has two punts under 20 yards this year. It's time for this young man to go. He's averaging 35.7YPP and yep, you guessed it; that's the worst in the NFL.

Whether it's Brian ZoneGorder or Mike "Haven't changed since Miami" Mularkey, one of the coordinators has to go. That's not an easy choice in my book. MM could run a screen just once this year and possibly edge out BVG to stay.

As for #5, surely the coaches discussed the possibility of an attempt to draw them offsides during the timeout, didn't they? I'd love to know if this was discussed?

Yes, this is more than just a bad start to the season. The fact is, this an alarming trend.

Dating back to game 15 last season against the Saints at home, the Falcons have lost 4 of their last 6 meaningful games, with their two wins coming at home against a bad Carolina team in game 16 last season and the win last week against a Vickless 4th quarter Eagle team.

Now consider the fact they went 0-4 in preseason--and never looking good at any time, ever with the starters--and that's a 2-8 record in their last 10 football games.

And it's not just the losing, as you say, it's how they look losing and they do not right now look like a well coached football team "in all three phases of the game."

Indeed, there's cause for concern...

Sad but true, Rev.

1 and 4 definitely tie together. Opposing team DT's *AND* DE's are getting pressure/sacks on a 4-man rush. Let me clarify that; they are destroying our line. Watching Sam Baker get abused reminds me of the pinball scene in The Accused. The kid'll need a rape kit by the bye week.

3: Bosher has two punts under 20 yards this year. It's time for this young man to go. He's averaging 35.7YPP and yep, you guessed it; that's the worst in the NFL.

Whether it's Brian ZoneGorder or Mike "Haven't changed since Miami" Mularkey, one of the coordinators has to go. That's not an easy choice in my book. MM could run a screen just once this year and possibly edge out BVG to stay.

:lol: How true...

I think BVG actually edges out MM... If MM could actually muster up a TD or 2, the BVG's defense wouldnt be gassed by halftime...

Absolutely agree, 100%.

This team looks unprepared, unfocused and no fire under them -- I hang that on the coaches. A team of zombies playing "not to lose" and it is aggravating to watch given the talent this team has. Throwing it 4 yards on 3rd and 5, kicking a field goal when even if you make it you're still in the same position you'd be in if you went for it on 4th and goal and failed -- needing a defensive stop and another score. The coaches are so used to pulling out wins with smoke and mirrors that they are completely ignoring the talent on the field -- it isn't 2009 anymore!

When they are being nice & running the plays as they are told they look bored, disinterested and lackluster -- but as soon as the no-huddle or some other deviation gets worked in, their eyes light up and its like night and day. I feel like the team is 2-3 more bad games away from cashing out of what the coaches are selling and it could get REAL ugly REAL quick.

Oh, and...Baker is a turnstile, Bosher = Shank WIlliams Jr.

Sad but true, Rev.

Hate to do it, but in somewhat of a defense for Bosher, one of the 2 short punts this year put Tampa inside their 20, which is what you want. You really want an extra 10 yards out of that punt on Sunday, but at least it wasn't a shank again. That said, Bosher needs to be hitting the unemployment line by this afternoon.

Hate to do it, but in somewhat of a defense for Bosher, one of the 2 short punts this year put Tampa inside their 20, which is what you want. You really want an extra 10 yards out of that punt on Sunday, but at least it wasn't a shank again. That said, Bosher needs to be hitting the unemployment line by this afternoon.

As D'Led said during the game, "Bosher hits a BOOMING 37 yard punt." If D'Led is mocking you, you are not good.

Yes, they do. That wasn't the point though. We didn't look bad against them in pre-season. Well, our starters didn't anyway. 17-0 while 1st string was out with theirs.

They are 0-3 and one of the worst teams in the league. We didn't look bad against them but still lost? Our starters looked good against them for a quarter?

I'm not sure why but I'm starting to think the lockout and lack of OTAs and maybe even the smaller number of padded practices have really affected the offensive line.

Obviously they have trouble pass blocking but they're also having trouble getting a push for the run.

Every other team in the league was locked out and had a lack of OTAs, lets face it, right now this team just isn't any good.

I'm not sure why but I'm starting to think the lockout and lack of OTAs and maybe even the smaller number of padded practices have really affected the offensive line.

Obviously they have trouble pass blocking but they're also having trouble getting a push for the run.

Don't buy it. They have been together long enough to gel & know how to play in this scheme. This OL has just never really been that good.

And to be fair Bosher did get a touchback in the game too.

There, he has two accolades he can take with him when he leaves and applies for work at Walmart.

They are 0-3 and one of the worst teams in the league. We didn't look bad against them but still lost? Our starters looked good against them for a quarter?

Here's what was said:

Now consider the fact they went 0-4 in preseason--and never looking good at any time, ever with the starters--and that's a 2-8 record in their last 10 football games.

Going up 17-0 with your starters doesn't look bad. I'm not sure why this needs to be further explained.

We are losing the game in the trenches. We also don't know how to play on a slow field. The Seattle game scares the **** out of me and I'll tell you why.

We played Chicago on their field. The field is known for being slow. And we are out there running slow developing plays with a poor OL. On a slow field, it takes your WR's longer to get downfield. It also takes longer for defensive players more time to make up space. On defense, you have to play closer to the LOS. On offense, you have to run plays that develop quickly. Reverses, stretch plays, post routes, and fly routes should be run minimally.

Prime example. Running a stretch run play allows the defense to shift before the RB hits the hole. Running off tackle or guard makes the RB get some momentum while the defense reads the play. Stretch plays did not work for either team. Every time you run a draw, the RB falls forward because it's difficult for the LBers to get him square with that same momentum.

In the passing game look at what worked for both teams. When the defense played back, a simple sideline throw to Julio goes for 30 because he can get moving and there's too much field for the DB to make up. The underneath and slant routes work because they develop quickly and it's tough for the defense to read and react, and by the time they do, the WR has more speed and momentum. Making your WR's go 10-15 yards out takes an extra half second the defense has to read and to get to the QB.

Look at what worked for Chicago against us. Look at what worked for the Bucs. On turf, lets go deep because our WR's will have more burst to let the play develop faster. On wet fields and notoriously slow fields, spread the defense out and take the underneath with a downhill rushing attack. When the defense comes up, run a fly route without the double move.

We are losing the game in the trenches. We also don't know how to play on a slow field. The Seattle game scares the **** out of me and I'll tell you why.

We played Chicago on their field. The field is known for being slow. And we are out there running slow developing plays with a poor OL. On a slow field, it takes your WR's longer to get downfield. It also takes longer for defensive players more time to make up space. On defense, you have to play closer to the LOS. On offense, you have to run plays that develop quickly. Reverses, stretch plays, post routes, and fly routes should be run minimally.

Prime example. Running a stretch run play allows the defense to shift before the RB hits the hole. Running off tackle or guard makes the RB get some momentum while the defense reads the play. Stretch plays did not work for either team. Every time you run a draw, the RB falls forward because it's difficult for the LBers to get him square with that same momentum.

In the passing game look at what worked for both teams. When the defense played back, a simple sideline throw to Julio goes for 30 because he can get moving and there's too much field for the DB to make up. The underneath and slant routes work because they develop quickly and it's tough for the defense to read and react, and by the time they do, the WR has more speed and momentum. Making your WR's go 10-15 yards out takes an extra half second the defense has to read and to get to the QB.

Look at what worked for Chicago against us. Look at what worked for the Bucs. On turf, lets go deep because our WR's will have more burst to let the play develop faster. On wet fields and notoriously slow fields, spread the defense out and take the underneath with a downhill rushing attack. When the defense comes up, run a fly route without the double move.

All valid points. The biggest difference between the Falcons and Bucs running games was that the Falcons could not tackle for crap, and 2 yard runs became 8 yard runs.