Two Bad Losses, But I Feel Good About Where We'll Be

Dharma Initiative

We have had two bad losses that we simply made uncharacteristic turnovers and got outcoached at key moments. But teams rarely start hot and stay hot for an entire season. Our team looks raw, but I can see it gelling at the right moment.

Julio has made the team more explosive, we just need to get a little more rhythm, but today we saw what could be. Julio has a 100 yard game and Jenkins STILL doesn't after 7 years.

Roddy doesn't usually drop the ball. He knows he made a huge mistake today and I think he goes in Monday and does nothing but work on it to make sure it never happens again.

Gonzalez looks as good as ever in a Falcons uniform.

Weatherspoon has been a beast so far. Flying everywhere on defense.

Decoud appears to have taken his benching last week and had a nice game today.

Jerry looks pretty solid. Pairing with Babineaux should make for a nice d-line.

Of course the two big areas of work are punter and o-line. Hopefully we get a new punter, but the o-line has to learn soon how to improve themselves. I think the skill position players will do nothing but improve and work hard to get better. It's better we get embarrassed early because the team and coaches will do nothing but force themselves to be better and hopefully we get hot and run full steam ahead into the playoffs.

Wins (remaining 1st 8) - Seattle, Indy, Carolina & maybe a lucky win over GB or Detroit

Wins (2nd 8) - NO (at home), Tennessee, Minnesota, Carolina, Jacksonville, TB (at home) and maybe a lucky win over NO or Houston

Lucky wins over Detroit and Houston haha

The sample size of their good play is about the same as our bad play

I think we have to remind ourselves that this is what it looks like when we play the Bucs. Almost everygame looks just like this. Ugly, hardnosed football.

After 5 straight wins, I guess we were due to lose one to them. The mistakes bother me....and they need to stop. Make no mistake, we have serious problems on this team. But people totally freaking out are doing so a little prematurely, IMO.

The season isn't about playing perfect for 16 games. It's about getting mistakes corrected and getting hot late in the season. Nobody in New England is panicking about losing to the Bills. We lost to basically the same teams. The Bills/Bucs hadn't beaten the Pats/Falcons in a long time and wanted to make a statement that they are real contenders for the division.

Like you said, we have bright spots and some kinks to work out. If we can go 11-5 and 4-2 in the division, we are a strong playoff team. MM has to give Matt the reigns and just help him with tendencies and set up plays. Let Ryan pick the plays the he sees will work at the line. BVG has the defense playing strong and will continue to get better with time. They are playing better from week 1 to now and held us in the game all game.

The only problem I see is the o-line. Give the defense credit they hepld tampa scoreless in the 3rd and 4th. Maybe they should run the no huddle the entire game becasusew that is working. But I think it's time to det Baker and let him take a serious look at his playing ability. I don't know much about Jose Valdez but he is a big dude, why not give him a shot. it may not be his normal position but somethings gotta give.

As much as i want to worry, its still to early in the season to jump ship like some of the bloggers are doing here. Yes we are 1-2 right now, but i just can't bring myself to panic. I know for a fact that the falcons have not played to the potential that we as fans expect. So i like Murlarkey's playcalling sometimes no, am i concerned about our offensive line somewhat. But in time we will see this team become the force that we all know they can be.

I still stand by 10 wins. I didn't expect a win vs PHI or IND. If we beat IND, then the two losses to CHI and TB that I didn't expect are covered.

Not without SERIOUS change. Detroit will murder our current Oline, and CJ will jack Dunta for 100plus yards and 2 tds.

We may split with NO

GB will beat us convincingly

Mularkey's playcalling and Turner's inability to recognize a hole that's not five yards wide will keep at least two other teams close enough to beat us late

There's five losses on top of our two already. BEST CASE SCENARIO is 9-7.

The season isn't about playing perfect for 16 games. It's about getting mistakes corrected and getting hot late in the season. Nobody in New England is panicking about losing to the Bills. We lost to basically the same teams. The Bills/Bucs hadn't beaten the Pats/Falcons in a long time and wanted to make a statement that they are real contenders for the division.

Like you said, we have bright spots and some kinks to work out. If we can go 11-5 and 4-2 in the division, we are a strong playoff team. MM has to give Matt the reigns and just help him with tendencies and set up plays. Let Ryan pick the plays the he sees will work at the line. BVG has the defense playing strong and will continue to get better with time. They are playing better from week 1 to now and held us in the game all game.

This is my sentiment. It was never about repeating 13-3 again coming into the season. It's about setting the team up late to peak at playoff time. I'm seeing more and more brightspots every weak. The problem is the same problems keep turning up also -- namely the protection. That doesn't get fixed, there is no hope.

This was a winnable game that shouldn't have gotten away, and could linger, because the Saints have any easy road coming up and they should start to reel 'em off in a row. You don't want them to get too far out that they can't be reeled back in.