Uga Consistently Getting Better

Reeves

After evening our record at 2-2 yesterday many wanted to write it off as something less than what it was. No we didn't play mistake free. No we didn't win by the margin that we could and probably should have. No we aren't grabbing the media's attention with 'wow' stats or plays or whatever

BUT this UGA team is getting better week after week, with the defense playing better than they're getting credit for and the offense putting up very good numbers game in and game out

http://philsteele.com/fbsinfo/TeamPages/sec/georgia.html

The above link is to the Georgia homepage on philsteele.com, where you can find a grade to each of the four games we've played so far. I'm not saying we're going to go and win every game from here on out, or that we'll even beat Mississippi State, I'm just trying to point out that this team is doing exactly what Richt said he thought they'd do, which is get better and continue to be a team on the rise. Before you know it you'll be watching one heck of a team.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're absolutely right. We have. Florida is a much much much better team than we are right now. I'll be very surprised if we beat Tech let alone Florida. We beat barely beat Ole Miss (one of the worst two teams in the entire SEC)

I'm sorry, but did you even watch the game yesterday? I wouldn't say we barely beat Ole Miss. We got a comfortable lead and then used safe, boring playcalling. There never really was a time down the stretch where Ole Miss was threatening Georgia. I would say that even though we didn't blow them out, it was still a good victory. Getting a road win is never easy in the SEC. And in this case, Ole Miss was challenged by their coach to put their hearts into their performance this week. I feel like people underestimate how much of a possible trap game this was.

Edited by KGDawg710

I'm sorry, but did you even watch the game yesterday? I wouldn't say we barely beat Ole Miss. We got a comfortable lead and then used safe, boring playcalling. There never really was a time down the stretch where Ole Miss was threatening Georgia. I would say that even though we didn't blow them out, it was still a good victory. Getting a road win is never easy in the SEC. And in this case, Ole Miss was challenged by their coach to put their hearts into their performance this week. I feel like people underestimate how much of a possible trap game this was.

yeah I watched the full game.

How can you say there was never a time when they threatened? The whole second half after they scored on the punt return we were only up by 11. If they had scored a TD that lead would have only been by 4.

we were mediocre on offense. Like I said we dominated them on D and we easily should have won but we didn't. We were obviously the much better team but the score doesn't reflect that.

Did you see what Florida did to Kentucky? Now THAT is a good win!

Edited by Kennesaw77

How can you say there was never a time when they threatened? The whole second half after they scored on the punt return we were only up by 11. If they had scored a TD that lead would have only been by 4.

we were mediocre on offense. Like I said we dominated them on D and we easily should have won but we didn't. We were obviously the much better team but the score doesn't reflect that.

If they would have scored, then it would have been a one score game. My whole point was that they never came close to scoring because of our defense. In addition, nobody would have expected Walsh would have missed three field goals. Like I stated on the actual game thread last night in another response, would you have felt like our offense looked much better if we won 36-13? Would you still consider that barely beating Ole Miss? I'm just saying that our team knew Ole Miss was not able to move the football effectively, so they were just trying to shorten the game and get out of there with a win. Yes, I saw what Florida did to Kentucky. It's what they do to them every year. But how often have you seen any recent Georgia team run up the score when the game is easily in hand? It just isn't Coach Richt's style. If we would have tried running up the score and one of our stars would have gotten severely injured, everybody would be pissed at the coaching staff for not trying to play it safe. I just think everybody needs to realize that we won and that is a good thing, last time I checked. It's not like we had an OT scare like Miss St or anything like that.

I agree and disagree. We have gotten better, but that last game wasn't all that thrilling. We definitately had a dominate defense, but I don't like this whole "comfortable lead" excuse that everybody is putting up. It is simply an excuse for very poor playcalling and execution.

Kennesaw was exactly right. If they had scored, it would have been a 4 point game. I don't know if any of you watched the Auburn vs Utah State game, but when a game is within a 14 point margin, anything can happen.

I know lots of us think it was a big win on the road and so on, which I agree it was, but a LOT of people are underestimating how increadibly bad this Ole Miss team is. Vandy stomped them and Vandy looked absolutly pitiful against SC. If Garcia had even had a quarter decent game Sc would have won by 50 plus easy.

If it was conservative "comfortable" playcalling, then fix it, because it effing sucks. Fla blew out Kentucky. If we were up maybe 3 or 4 TD's then I'm all for it. We were in no position to start trying to burn the clock after half time. That crap is going to bite us in the butt against a team with a half decent QB in the future if we don't keep the foot on the gas longer, GAURENTEED. Glad for the win, but we can't get compacent when we arent even up 2 td's on the road in the 3rd quarter. That is simply stupid and unacceptable.

As always, Go Dawgs! Lets win the next 3 ball games and show dawgnation how good we really are when we play 4 quarters on offense!

Oh and by the way, if anybody remembers the Tech game last year, this bullstuff almost cost us that game, and probably should have. We were crushing them early, so bobo comes out of the locker room and calls nothing but runs for the 1st 3 possesions. Tech quickly got right back in it and we had to turn the offense back on again and barely pull it out.

You do realize I was joking right?

you can joke back after we play 2 of the top 3 the next 2 weeks.

yeah i got the joke.. LOL you guys have a tough couple of games coming up.. it will be interesting to see how you guys do.

note guys this is what jgator said a week or so ago:

"You guys are going to get better man and the schedule breaks nicely for you. I think you will give us a true war that can go either way. I can see Miss St. giving you problems for about 3 quarters and then you guys winning it late. I do think the UT game will be a battle for sure. The difference there is I believe your secondary will turn the game in your favor. Just my view looking from the outside in".

he is very balanced in his view.

you're absolutely right. We have. Florida is a much much much better team than we are right now. I'll be very surprised if we beat Tech let alone Florida. We beat barely beat Ole Miss (one of the worst two teams in the entire SEC)

we played the toughest schedule the first two games of the year and we were outplayed in one and lost the other due to our own mistakes. the stats for the entire year back up we have improved in a bunch of areas and we are going to be a very tough out the rest of the way no matter who we play. we can beat uf and we can beat tech from what i have seen on the field and no we didn't barely beat ole miss. we dominated ole miss and that game was never in doubt.

anyone who saw the game and who wasn't just hating on uga saw the obvious. uga dominated the game. uga had a 24 to 7 lead and the game was never in doubt. our offense shortened the game in the second half and ole miss couldn't generate any offense. we won by double digits on the road in the sec and it was a very good win. you can complain about blair missing field goals which is understandable, but ole miss was not a threat to win that game. the gators did their usual and beat up on kentucky. good for them and that has zero to do with uga dominating ole miss.

One of our issues last year was getting off the field defensively. i remember we were at the bottom of opponents 3rd down conversion %, but this year even with playing 2 top 12 teams we are in second place just behind uf with giving up just 14 out of 56 1st downs. We are also second in pass defense and top 3 in total defense. If you remove the points our offense gave up in the sc game we would be in the top 4 in our scoring defense and we are in the top 3 in 1st downs allowed defensively. Now we have done this missing 2 of our best players not having alec olgetree for the past 3 games and missing crob for the last 2 plus (he missed the ending of the usce game). This is just for the first quarter of the schedule and IMO we will get better as the year goes on.

I have a feeling Florida could surprise some folks and win (at least) one of those games.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they beat Bama, actually. At LSU, on the other hand... not so much.

I've really been impressed with the improvement of our defense. Can't wait to see them down the stretch and how improved they will be next year.

If they would have scored, then it would have been a one score game. My whole point was that they never came close to scoring because of our defense. In addition, nobody would have expected Walsh would have missed three field goals. Like I stated on the actual game thread last night in another response, would you have felt like our offense looked much better if we won 36-13? Would you still consider that barely beating Ole Miss? I'm just saying that our team knew Ole Miss was not able to move the football effectively, so they were just trying to shorten the game and get out of there with a win. Yes, I saw what Florida did to Kentucky. It's what they do to them every year. But how often have you seen any recent Georgia team run up the score when the game is easily in hand? It just isn't Coach Richt's style. If we would have tried running up the score and one of our stars would have gotten severely injured, everybody would be pissed at the coaching staff for not trying to play it safe. I just think everybody needs to realize that we won and that is a good thing, last time I checked. It's not like we had an OT scare like Miss St or anything like that.

I get what you're saying but I would have been alot more comfortable with more scores. I'm not saying play the starters if it was 40-10.

we played the toughest schedule the first two games of the year and we were outplayed in one and lost the other due to our own mistakes. the stats for the entire year back up we have improved in a bunch of areas and we are going to be a very tough out the rest of the way no matter who we play. we can beat uf and we can beat tech from what i have seen on the field and no we didn't barely beat ole miss. we dominated ole miss and that game was never in doubt.

Our O did not dominate them and like I've been saying the game was in doubt. **** we were up by only 11 most of the game. One big play (like a PR!) and they are only 4 down. That is close.

anyone who saw the game and who wasn't just hating on uga saw the obvious. uga dominated the game. uga had a 24 to 7 lead and the game was never in doubt. our offense shortened the game in the second half and ole miss couldn't generate any offense. we won by double digits on the road in the sec and it was a very good win. you can complain about blair missing field goals which is understandable, but ole miss was not a threat to win that game. the gators did their usual and beat up on kentucky. good for them and that has zero to do with uga dominating ole miss.

How was Ole Miss not a threat to win the game? They were only down by 2 td's the whole 2nd half.

It has to do with the coaches inability to put a game away and fully out of reach. This time that inability didn't kill us but if we do that vs. almost any other team and it will.

Yeah it was a great dominating win for our D but we need to consider the competition the last two weeks. We have C. Carolina and one of the bottom two SEC teams.

If we're up by 11 and the Ole Miss offense has only scored one touchdown and can't move the ball, it doesn't really matter. The game was never in question... I never once sat there thinking Ole Miss could pull a win out of their rear. They never displayed big play ability and quite frankly we shut them down. They were not a threat to win the game.

And I don't think anyone is building us up based on the last two games. Contrary to the score, our defense played great against Carolina; more than half their points came from turnovers and a fake punt. Against Boise those boys played stout for most of the game. It's just hard to overcome a well oiled machine when their coaches make adjustments to exploit injuries and our offense is constantly giving them favorable field position.

We have a good test coming up this week. I'm looking forward to seeing how our defense meets the challenge.

If we're up by 11 and the Ole Miss offense has only scored one touchdown and can't move the ball, it doesn't really matter. The game was never in question... I never once sat there thinking Ole Miss could pull a win out of their rear. They never displayed big play ability and quite frankly we shut them down. They were not a threat to win the game.

And I don't think anyone is building us up based on the last two games. Contrary to the score, our defense played great against Carolina; more than half their points came from turnovers and a fake punt. Against Boise those boys played stout for most of the game. It's just hard to overcome a well oiled machine when their coaches make adjustments to exploit injuries and our offense is constantly giving them favorable field position.

We have a good test coming up this week. I'm looking forward to seeing how our defense meets the challenge.

I don't think their O could do anything but what if they scored on special teams again?

I'm not worried about the D. I have alot of trust in Grantham. It's the O I'm worried about.