Nevermind Just Turned 20 Years Old

Guest Absconditus

Anyone ever listen to the radio anymore? If you do, next time turn it to your local rock station and listen to how shitastic every single one of these new rock songs are. Nirvana started all of that.

Anyone ever listen to the radio anymore? If you do, next time turn it to your local rock station and listen to how shitastic every single one of these new rock songs are. Nirvana started all of that.

Sorry but you posted video of counting crows your opinion of music really doesnt ******* matter.

Guest Absconditus

Sorry but you posted video of counting crows your opinion of music really doesnt ******* matter.

I posted a video of Counting Crows in a thread about songs that reminded you of being young. I also posted a song from The ******* Lion King.

I hate Counting Crows, but they were on the radio all the time when I was young, so it was a song that reminded me of being young. Had I posted it in a "The Best Songs Ever" thread then your point would be inarguable.

Edited by Absconditus

I have never been a huge Nirvana fan, but I gotta say a few things here. They were FAR from terrible. Had excellent songwriting skills and blended melody with crunch as good as any band ever. Tho I do admit a LOT of terrible bands were inspired by them, that's not their fault. They did what they did and what followed was merely the expected cluster#### of companies signing anyone with a Boss DS1 distortion pedal.

I would say Pearl Jam and esp Eddie Vedders vocals inspired FAR suckier bands. With your nicklebacks and your creeds, there is no competition . Nirvana simply inspired kids to play three chords with an attitude. Pearl Jam had all these " woe is me no one understands me over emoting vocalists clogging everyones speakers with feces.

I do think Nirvana gets blown out of proportion, but to say they would be remembered as a sucky garage band is hyperbole. Dave Grohl is still around and Im pretty sure Nirvana would still have been. And Frankly, the world needs more Garage bands and a little less..whatever it is thats on the radio now. and yea, Nirvana did help kill bands like Warrent, Slaughter and White Lion so for that alone they have a place in my heart whether I care for their music personally or not.

I have never been a huge Nirvana fan, but I gotta say a few things here. They were FAR from terrible. Had excellent songwriting skills and blended melody with crunch as good as any band ever. Tho I do admit a LOT of terrible bands were inspired by them, that's not their fault. They did what they did and what followed was merely the expected cluster#### of companies signing anyone with a Boss DS1 distortion pedal.

I would say Pearl Jam and esp Eddie Vedders vocals inspired FAR suckier bands. With your nicklebacks and your creeds, there is no competition . Nirvana simply inspired kids to play three chords with an attitude. Pearl Jam had all these " woe is me no one understands me over emoting vocalists clogging everyones speakers with feces.

I do think Nirvana gets blown out of proportion, but to say they would be remembered as a sucky garage band is hyperbole. Dave Grohl is still around and Im pretty sure Nirvana would still have been. And Frankly, the world needs more Garage bands and a little less..whatever it is thats on the radio now. and yea, Nirvana did help kill bands like Warrent, Slaughter and White Lion so for that alone they have a place in my heart whether I care for their music personally or not.

There is almost 0 elements of anything Pearl Jam within Creed or Nickelback. The closest you can get to Pearl Jam is Collective Soul and their pretty **** good in their own right. Nirvana did inspire Bush though so I will give them that. However musically wise Soundgarden and Pearl Jam destroy Nirvana.

Also if any band from a grunge background had an influence it was AiC, you can trace almost any metal band of todays style and find something similar within AiC.

Pearl Jam had little inspiration on anyone, they stopped making music cideos around 1993, stopped touring in the U.S. for four years from '94-'98, they were still putting out great music, but mainstream wise they fell off the face of the earth for a while.

Soundgarden never really got any mainstream exposure except for Blackhole Sun, which is essentially one of their worst songs, it was a complete crapshoot of anything esle they ever did. It was Essentially Nirvana and AIC that got the majority of the radio time, Soundgarden got some, but only for a few songs, Pearl Jam got a lot early on, but like I said they fell off the face of the earth for a while.

Just to give you an example of the biggest inspiration each band created.

Nirvana-Bush

Pearl Jam-Collective Soul

Soundgarden- Puddle of Mudd

AiC- Pretty much any mainstream Metal band formed after '95.

You could also say STP took more from Pearl Jam, than they did AiC, but they're to much mixed influence to say just who exactly influenced them the most

Edited by Zodiac

I'd say the indy band scene is thriving quite well. Popular bands like Wilco, The Decemberists, Of Montreal, Death Cab for Cutie, Modest Mouse, The Shins, Pavement, Band of Horses, Flaming Lips, etc etc (I KNOW I have missed some others)...all started in their garage and reflect what's good about current rock IMO.

Edited by Goal Line D

There is almost 0 elements of anything Pearl Jam within Creed or Nickelback. The closest you can get to Pearl Jam is Collective Soul and their pretty **** good in their own right. Nirvana did inspire Bush though so I will give them that. However musically wise Soundgarden and Pearl Jam destroy Nirvana.

Also if any band from a grunge background had an influence it was AiC, you can trace almost any metal band of todays style and find something similar within AiC.

Pearl Jam had little inspiration on anyone, they stopped making music cideos around 1993, stopped touring in the U.S. for four years from '94-'98, they were still putting out great music, but mainstream wise they fell off the face of the earth for a while.

Soundgarden never really got any mainstream exposure except for Blackhole Sun, which is essentially one of their worst songs, it was a complete crapshoot of anything esle they ever did. It was Essentially Nirvana and AIC that got the majority of the radio time, Soundgarden got some, but only for a few songs, Pearl Jam got a lot early on, but like I said they fell off the face of the earth for a while.

Just to give you an example of the biggest inspiration each band created.

Nirvana-Bush

Pearl Jam-Collective Soul

Soundgarden- Puddle of Mudd

AiC- Pretty much any mainstream Metal band formed after '95.

You could also say STP took more from Pearl Jam, than they did AiC, but they're to much mixed influence to say just who exactly influenced them the most

I think you missed the part where I said esp. the vocal stylings. A LOT of Eddie Vedder, esp, in Creed.

Just remember.. it was you who made me post this vid... :(

I'd say the indy band scene is thriving quite well. Popular bands like Wilco, The Decemberists, Of Montreal, Death Cab for Cutie, Modest Mouse, The Shins, Pavement, Band of Horses, Flaming Lips, etc etc (I KNOW I have missed some others)...all started in their garage and reflect what's good about current rock IMO.

I agree. I NEVER listen to the radio except NPR programs like backroads and blue highways or I listen to a station out of Danville VA that only plays classic rock. If I had to listen to the radio and hear something like Linkin Park or Coldplay, I would lose ALL faith in music and I have very little. People can say what they will about Nirvana, but they didn't really sound like anything before them.

Eddie Vedder reminds me a lot of Jimmy Buffett--someone who doesn't have a naturally great voice but who makes the most of what he has and writes interesting, meaningful lyrics. Buffett has been more Arlo Guthrie while Vedder went more Bob Dylan, but both are singer/song-writer style artists. I personally love Nirvana, but Cobain's lyrics were more periodic and stylistic than meaningful. Smells Like Teen Spirit is something that was relevant in the 1990's and not so much today. Even Flow, however, is still just as relevant and important as it was when it was first released. And Eddie Vedder's version of Master's of War, like Buffett's bongo drum version of Brown Eyed Girl, rivals the original version of the song and could arguably be considered superior to the original version of the song.