Speed Kills. Why Isn't Hd More Involved In The Offense?

Falcon Man™

I got to thinking last night (as I was watching the Falcons Eagles game for the 3rd time), that when with the ball in his hands, Desean Jackson is one of the most feared players in the league.

Now, HD doesn't have the lateral quickness of Jackson, but he showed in the preseason that he can flat out FLY!

I would like to see Roddy, HD, and Julio in a race. Get these guys DOWNFIELD!

I think HD can be very dangerous with the ball if we start getting it to him more.

Good point. MM needs to figure out how to protect Ryan better. An extra tight end might help.
Which would mean fewer receivers running patterns, which would allow more double-coverage.

We need to replace Baker ASAP. At this point I would bring Mike Kenn out of retirement. He couldn't be more of a physical liability than Baker was, and at least Kenn knew how to use his hands to keep DE's out of his pads. Kenn at least would still have the heart and the fire.

I got to thinking last night (as I was watching the Falcons Eagles game for the 3rd time), that when with the ball in his hands, Desean Jackson is one of the most feared players in the league.

Now, HD doesn't have the lateral quickness of Jackson, but he showed in the preseason that he can flat out FLY!

I would like to see Roddy, HD, and Julio in a race. Get these guys DOWNFIELD!

I think HD can be very dangerous with the ball if we start getting it to him more.

It takes a five to seven step drop and 3-5 seconds to throw some of these bombs yall keep clamoring for. Our Oline is playing at a 3 step, two second clip.

HD is currently the #3 WR so for him to even see the field we will need to be in a 3-5 WR set. That's gonna happen several times a game but not on every play. He will only get a fraction of the snaps Roddy and Julio will get.

With that said, we need to call HD's number more when he is on the field. He's got to get open though. Matt has to see him and the Oline has to protect.

Even if we ran a base 3 wide set, he still would likely be the fifth receiving option behind Roddy, Julio, TonyG, Turner/Snelling/Quizz. So don't expect many opportunities for him. Hail there are many that want to see Weems and Meier get a shot. So many weapons. So few snaps. Here are the targets after two games:

Roddy - 17 targets, 11 receptions

TonyG - 16 targets, 12 receptions

Julio - 14 targets, 7 receptions

Snelling - 10 targets, 6 receptions

HD - 6 targets, 4 receptions

Turner - 5 targets, 4 receptions

Quizz - 5 targets, 3 receptions

Ovie - 1 target, 1 reception

Nice spread. Ryan had two 30+ catch reveivers in 2008, three in 2009, four in 2010. At this point he is on pace to add two more in 2011 to get to six. That is top three elite level with Brees, Manning and Brady.

If you put him on the field more, you have to take Ovie off the field more, and it really takes the guess work out of the play calling for the defense.

Some would counter with there isn't much "guess work" for the defense in the first place. I think we could still run out of those sets, but I wouldn't want to go exclusively to them. Ovie is too good a blocker not to use.

Like to see a 3 WR set with Ovie & Turner in the backfield. Esp. if turner evolves into a receiving threat.

Turner is evolving as a receiving threat before our very eyes.

Dude started it up last year with a career high twelve receptions.

He is on pace for 50-60 this year.

He is a beast out of the backfield that nobody in the NFL wants to tackle. Trust me.

He will open up everything with the run and pass.

Turner is evolving as a receiving threat before our very eyes.

Dude started it up last year with a career high twelve receptions.

He is on pace for 50-60 this year.

He is a beast out of the backfield that nobody in the NFL wants to tackle. Trust me.

He will open up everything with the run and pass.

(prays for this to continue)